Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 19:45   #1471
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Yes, you will need to disconnect the batteries as regen is not supported in 24 V mode.
TBH this is a bit of a wimpy charger (only 7A at max) for large inverter batteries because it was primarily designed for smaller automotive ones.
I agree. Its too posh for brutes like inverter batteries. One concern that I have with manual charger is whether it can auto shutdown or have timer. Cause Bosch C7 relieves me of that pain.

Due to space constraints, I cannot move the battery in and out just for this purpose and it sure is two man job (one to lift and one to guide & push).

Can I do this by keeping the floats in place but loosely fastened R2D2 san ? Floats have sponge protected valves for checking overflow.
Old 20th May 2020, 19:54   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^^ I have good experience with Microtek. Having 2 of them with us, it has never ran into trouble in the last 7-8 years with us.

Guys, one query. I collected around 2 liters of AC condensed water overnight. I checked it with a water TDS tester and it shows a level of around 35. I counter checked the level with the supplies I have from a local hardware shop which ranges between 30-50 across a few bottles, meaning the supply’s quality is not consistent. So, is the collected water with 35 TDS good enough for inverter Battery?

Thanks.
I was tempted to use AC condensate as Distilled Water substitute during strict period of lockdowns. Checked TDS and forever closed the dream of using it in battery. It is very logical too, the condensate brings along all the dirt and muck that accumulate on the indoor cooling fins and drainage. My local distilled water supplier gives me approx.10 TDS (random check) and my AC gives me approx.60-75 TDS on normal day and on dusty days > 100.

If you are left with no option then you can distill the AC catch over stove and collect it for use in inverter. My heart sank after seeing a thin layer of dust and spider cobwebs (or whatever it once was) from my AC drain and I just watered it to a plant.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 20:02   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand253 View Post
I see Luminous & Microtek available online and dealer recommending Luminous Eco Volt+ 1650. Would you guys have any recommendation on the brands. Location is Chennai...
I've got a Sukam Shiny 1.5 KVA inverter too and it has been working nearly trouble free (except for a blown fuse and a cooling fan failure) since Apr 2013. I also considered Luminous 2 or even a 3 KVA as an upgrade but I am getting mixed reviews and feedback about this brand. So I held back for now. I am quite satisfied with the Sukam, it has been nearly troublefree for all these years and the service is also pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
I agree. Its too posh for brutes like inverter batteries. One concern that I have with manual charger is whether it can auto shutdown or have timer. Cause Bosch C7 relieves me of that pain.

Due to space constraints, I cannot move the battery in and out just for this purpose and it sure is two man job (one to lift and one to guide & push).

Can I do this by keeping the floats in place but loosely fastened R2D2 san ? Floats have sponge protected valves for checking overflow.
Well, manual chargers are just that. Nothing is automated and you need to monitor them frequently using the volt meter, ammeter (if fitted) and the clock. A hydrometer will be most useful to check Sp. Gr in each cell. You can try the Bosch C7, if you have one, but don't have high expectations from the regen process fixing a large inverter battery.

Keep the battery enclosure or cabinet doors open. Top off DW as the first step. If you keep the floats loosely fastened it may indicate the wrong electrolyte level. So screw them down finger tight and loosen about 1/2 a turn. All batteries have vents either in the battery case and/or the caps/floats for normal venting but the case with regen is the battery gasses heck of a lot more. I wouldn't be happy with explosive gas forming a 'cloud' near the battery and charger. Do take appropriate precautions please.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 09:51   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't be happy with explosive gas forming a 'cloud' near the battery and charger. Do take appropriate precautions please.
Thank you R2D2 san. What is the best way to install a fan which will trigger only during charging phase ? I am thinking of something that can trigger itself if temperature threshold is reached or periodic run (every 30 min for 5 min).

Not having much option in market. Any thoughts ?
Old 21st May 2020, 10:03   #1475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you R2D2 san. What is the best way to install a fan which will trigger only during charging phase ? I am thinking of something that can trigger itself if temperature threshold is reached or periodic run (every 30 min for 5 min). Not having much option in market. Any thoughts ?
Just use a table fan and keep it on all the time the regen process is running which is a max of 4 hours with the Bosch C7. And you're good to go. Switch on the fan before the regen charge starts and switch it off after you have switched off the charger.

I'd suggest using an extension cord. Power the fan on/off at a point away from the batteries for e.g. from the mains socket where the extension cord has been plugged in.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 17:23   #1476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of something that can trigger itself if temperature threshold is reached or periodic run (every 30 min for 5 min).
You might look at high-end bathroom extractor fans. I seem to remember reading about models that can be triggered by temperature or humidity.

But consider carefully R2D2's advice: You really do not want any switching to be taking place near hydrogen discharge.

My suggestion is that, as hydrogen is lighter than air, venting the room at ceiling height would help to clear it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 23:46   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of something that can trigger itself if temperature threshold is reached or periodic run (every 30 min for 5 min).
I extensively use smart switches from sonoff. I had water problems and low levels of water and a shallow bore well. It used to run dry a lot. So I used the sonoff to run the motor every 5 mins for 1 minute round the clock. Now the water situation is better and I got the borewell cleaned and have continuous water to pump to overhead tank. I also use it to turn on my garage lights at a specific time and turn off at dawn.
There are additional smart devices that can trigger a scene when a temperature or humidity reaches a specific level. You can use this if you desire or simply make it run for 5 minutes every X minutes like you said. Research and buy the right device as there are many variants, if you go down this path. I use it to also monitor power consumption and control all my air conditioners at home, washing machine, water heaters to switch off automatically in 3 minutes etc
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 08:56   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You might look at high-end bathroom extractor fans. I seem to remember reading about models that can be triggered by temperature or humidity.

My suggestion is that, as hydrogen is lighter than air, venting the room at ceiling height would help to clear it.
Yes Thad-san. I think, extractor fan or at least one of these fans. When I constructed the UPS room (although in hurry due to circumstances), there is a vent about 10 in x 10 in at the top. The gate too has vents on top for circulation.

Inverter Batteries-exhaustfan.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I extensively use smart switches from sonoff. I had water problems and low levels of water and a shallow bore well. It used to run dry a lot. .... I use it to also monitor power consumption and control all my air conditioners at home, washing machine, water heaters to switch off automatically in 3 minutes etc
I have really not looked beyond Nest controller. This absolutely helps, thanks diyguy. Now that the e-retailing deliveries are open, will explore and configure one.
Old 24th May 2020, 19:53   #1479
Distinguished - BHPian

Had another thought about fans and venting battery areas.

Even though the switching may be remote, is there not a possibility of sparks in the fan unit?

Anyway, if, in normal use, this was a danger, I think I'd have exploded long ago, as would many of our cars, but for any occasional battery process likely to cause more-than-usual-gassing, the answer would be to do it outside.

Also, I remember typing, "Hydrogen is lighter than air," Come to think of it, it's lighter than everything!
Old 24th May 2020, 22:58   #1480
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any flooded lead acid battery would vent h2 gas when its being charged, even in float charge its still venting gas. Ventilation is a must, I keep the window next to my 4 lead acid batteries partially open. One would need only 4% concentration of H2 gas to cause it to explode. So internationally all battery rooms must keep the concentration below 1%, even then due to error or over quoted fan specification, its best to keep a fan with twice the required air flow. The amount of air flow is calculated by room cubic size, battery capacity and charge rate.

Quote:
Had another thought about fans and venting battery areas.

Even though the switching may be remote, is there not a possibility of sparks in the fan unit?

Anyway, if, in normal use, this was a danger, I think I'd have exploded long ago, as would many of our cars, but for any occasional battery process likely to cause more-than-usual-gassing, the answer would be to do it outside.
Induction motor and brushless DC motor don't have sparks, but a brushed AC or DC motor does create sparks.

Last edited by aim120 : 24th May 2020 at 22:59.
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 11:24   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Just use a table fan and keep it on all the time the regen process is running which is a max of 4 hours with the Bosch C7..... where the extension cord has been plugged in.
I did same R2D2 san. Some how due to high temperature already in Chennai and oodles of humidity to go along, it made this entire process tiresome. Took about ~2 hours for C7 to cut off on each battery. One battery was little more warmer than rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I extensively use smart switches from sonoff. I had water problems and low levels of water and a shallow bore well. It used to run dry a lot. ...., water heaters to switch off automatically in 3 minutes etc
Thinking of going with some very basic thermal controller. And due to lockdown its not getting delivered in Chennai currently.

Quote:
"Hydrogen is lighter than air," Come to think of it, it's lighter than everything!
There is a vent on top of my gates Thad san. And there is one vent hole (L 10 inch, H 7 inch) on the side wall. I don't see any pocket formations, but better to be safe than sorry.

My rough doodle (Inverter Batteries) of set up at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Any flooded lead acid battery would vent h2 gas when its being charged, even in float charge its still venting gas. Ventilation is a must, ..Induction motor and brushless DC motor don't have sparks, but a brushed AC or DC motor does create sparks.
Just thinking of getting DC fan but looks too basic and flimsy. Not sure if it will hold the throw efficiency in few months down the line. Cause if I put in thermal switch and even by optimistic thoughts of setting it up at 35C, it will run atleast 5 hours daily in Chennai heat and humidity. And given long summers in coastal region, I am not able to make up my mind if I should go for this or the preferable bathroom ventilation fans.

Last edited by prithm : 28th May 2020 at 11:25.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 14:09   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody connected their fridge to UPS battery? We have this 15MAH. The Panasonic technician told me its perfectly fine, and the fridge will run well (5AMPS). Sorry, if this has been discussed already
Old 28th May 2020, 16:28   #1483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... better to be safe than sorry. ... ... ... Just thinking of getting DC fan but looks too basic and flimsy. Not sure if it will hold the throw efficiency in few months down the line. Cause if I put in thermal switch and even by optimistic thoughts of setting it up at 35C, it will run atleast 5 hours daily in Chennai heat and humidity. And given long summers in coastal region, I am not able to make up my mind if I should go for this or the preferable bathroom ventilation fans.
Hmmm... we have light switches and the main MCB panel in the same area as our inverter and battery. No high-up vent, but the porch area is open to the outside world through a grill gate and a mosquito-mesh gate.

Maybe even the inverter itself has a risk of internal sparking (relays etc?).

But if I decided to go safety-crazy on this, I'd not have any switching equipment in a battery room, and I certainly would not add equipment. Unless one goes the whole hog and installs certified gas-safe stuff.

One thought: unlike our cooking gas, which is heavier than air and accumulates at ground level (ever had to pump out "nothing" from a boat for an hour because a cooker tap got left open? I have!), if the hydrogen hangs around, it is going to be up there by the ceiling, in relative safety.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th May 2020 at 16:29.
Old 29th May 2020, 08:21   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Has anybody connected their fridge to UPS battery? We have this 15MAH. The Panasonic technician told me its perfectly fine, and the fridge will run well (5AMPS). Sorry, if this has been discussed already
I have my good sir. 200 odd Lts Samsung. How big (kVa) is your inverter set up ?

Quote:
One thought: unlike our cooking gas, which is heavier than air and accumulates at ground level (ever had to pump out "nothing" from a boat for an hour because a cooker tap got left open? I have!), if the hydrogen hangs around, it is going to be up there by the ceiling, in relative safety.
Though when I built the UPS vault, I did not have much idea about Hydrogen byproduct from inverter batteries Thad san. But as it goes, being a Coastal South Indian who has seen most house construction having high ventilation in every room (a slit, cement mesh windows, tiny windows, tiny wooden door windows etc.), it was tribal knowledge in me that kicked in to get those vents both on top of the gate & in adjoining wall. Looks like it helped me immensely.

The only problem that I face now is the thermal regulation. I too don't have any switches inside the den and just want a ventilation system that is easy to install with current inverter set up and not to clog the interior and cause more surface to hold or generate heat.

Gas safe switches never occurred to me (now that I am aware), will look out for it. Had this lockdown been little more lenient, I would have visited Parrys Corner, Ambattur Industrial estate to search for industrial parts. That remains a distant dream for now though.
Old 29th May 2020, 10:26   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Fridge is working fine, thanks. Mine is a single tall tubular battery Amaron 150A set up
Quote:
I have my good sir. 200 odd Lts Samsung. How big (kVa) is your inverter set up ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks