Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2019, 18:08   #1411
BANNED

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
But TWO most important things for enhanced battery life are; adding distilled water in time AND checking charging voltage. Please ensure voltage is checked and water replenished regularly.

How can I check charging voltage by myself?
Old 28th October 2019, 18:12   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
How can I check charging voltage by myself?
You will require a digital multimeter. Decent ones from Fluke are available at Amazon starting at about Rs 2700 and upwards. A very useful tool to have around for trouble shooting most electrical and electronic items whether at home or in your car.

Other brands to consider are Extech, Metravi, Mastech & Meco.
Old 28th October 2019, 18:13   #1413
BANNED

Quote:
You will require a digital multimeter. Decent ones from Fluke are available at Amazon starting at about Rs 2700 and upwards. A very useful tool to have around for trouble shooting most electrical and electronic items whether at home or in your car.

Other brands to consider are Extech, Metravi, Mastech & Meco.
Thanks. I'm having one, what's the process?
Old 28th October 2019, 18:17   #1414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Thanks. I'm having one, what's the process?
If you already have one, connect the leads/test probes to the meter, switch on the DMM, turn the mode selector to V DC, and then touch the black probe to the -ve terminal of the battery and red to +ve. You will get the voltage.

Follow the instruction manual for details.
Old 16th December 2019, 10:45   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Cleaned the terminals of the battery for dust with a brush, thankfully there is zero rust. (Never touch the positive + terminal without disconnecting the negative -). If possible call in a professional once in a while. I Used to coat Vaseline before, but LiquiMoly has this battery terminal paste and a sachet costed me Rs 83 on Amazon. This is guaranteed not to rust (since OTC petroleum jelly disintegrates in 3 months).
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter Batteries-img_9898.jpg  

Old 16th December 2019, 18:33   #1416
BHPian

I have been using Microtek SEBz 850VA sinewave inverter that is about 7-8 years old along with Base BG550 Plus 150AH Tubular battery that is 4 years old. When this battery was new, I used to get a backup of almost 4 hours and now the backup has come down to 30 mins with the same usage. I have religiously maintained the distilled water level to the mark and there is absolutely no rust in the terminals.

Is it time to change the battery? Since the backup had come down drastically (about 1-hr plus) one year back itself, should I stay away from this brand? If so, which one should I go for? Also, is it time to change the inverter as well?
Old 17th December 2019, 10:25   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
I have been using Microtek SEBz 850VA sinewave inverter that is about 7-8 years old along with Base BG550 Plus 150AH Tubular battery that is 4 years old. When this battery was new, I used to get a backup of almost 4 hours and now the backup has come down to 30 mins with the same usage. I have religiously maintained the distilled water level to the mark and there is absolutely no rust in the terminals.

Is it time to change the battery? Since the backup had come down drastically (about 1-hr plus) one year back itself, should I stay away from this brand? If so, which one should I go for? Also, is it time to change the inverter as well?
Diminishing backup time points to battery deterioration. So it is time to change it. I would suggest Exide Tubular as it has a good track record.
Old 17th December 2019, 13:06   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
As Aroy sir says you may have to change the battery at this stage. But you need to find out why the battery is failing prematurely. A voltage test should tell you whether your inverter is charging the battery correctly. As you have been maintaining the battery by topping up religiously, I would assume that you will have access to a Volt meter (digital VOM). So check the voltage when it is charging and turn off the loads as well as the supply to the inverter and then check the voltage.
A fully charged 12 V Lead Acid battery will show 12.6 V. With 50 % charge, it comes down to 12.06. The inverter will shut down when the charge level reaches 20 % and at that time, the battery will show 11.50.
When it is charging the voltage can reach even up to 14.0
Write this down near the battery so that you can whip out the VOM and check the status of your charge.
Modern inverters have inbuilt voltmeter for the batteries which saves you the hassles of connecting a Volt meter.
Old 17th December 2019, 17:39   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Diminishing backup time points to battery deterioration. So it is time to change it. I would suggest Exide Tubular as it has a good track record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
As Aroy sir says you may have to change the battery at this stage. But you need to find out why the battery is failing prematurely. A voltage test should tell you whether your inverter is charging the battery correctly. As you have been maintaining the battery by topping up religiously, I would assume that you will have access to a Volt meter (digital VOM). So check the voltage when it is charging and turn off the loads as well as the supply to the inverter and then check the voltage.
A fully charged 12 V Lead Acid battery will show 12.6 V. With 50 % charge, it comes down to 12.06. The inverter will shut down when the charge level reaches 20 % and at that time, the battery will show 11.50.
When it is charging the voltage can reach even up to 14.0
Write this down near the battery so that you can whip out the VOM and check the status of your charge.
Modern inverters have inbuilt voltmeter for the batteries which saves you the hassles of connecting a Volt meter.
Thank you Mr. Aroy. Mr. Prowler, thank you for such a detailed reply. Will definitely follow the procedure explained and then take a call.
Old 31st December 2019, 20:21   #1420
BHPian

Has anyone purchased batteries from mypowerkart?
I will be buying exide invatubular batteries shortly.
The prices on mypowerkart are lesser than shops in Hyderabad.
Please advise. Suggestions regarding other websites are also welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Old 16th January 2020, 09:59   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
If you already have one, connect the leads/test probes to the meter, switch on the DMM, turn the mode selector to V DC, and then touch the black probe to the -ve terminal of the battery and red to +ve. You will get the voltage.
R2D2 San, would this also mean that we need to disconnect the batteries from the UPS module ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I Used to coat Vaseline before, but LiquiMoly has this battery terminal paste and a sachet costed me Rs 83 on Amazon. This is guaranteed not to rust (since OTC petroleum jelly disintegrates in 3 months).
I agree with Vaseline part. It just melts away as temperature rises, but the other cheaper alternative is Dielectric grease or Silicone Grease. I got a tub from Anabond (well before the insane price hike) and it serves me in several topics. Like lubricating bathroom fixture threads, outdoor gate hinge lubrication, car door lubrication. But the best of all is the battery terminal corrosion protection. Lost one inverter battery solely to corrosion and my negligence. I also used to do a terminal coating using Tufkote battery terminal paint. Served me well for my car and motorcycle batteries for many years. One thing I severely miss Nulon battery cleaner. Used to eat away all corrosion in blink of a eye and keep battery terminals and surfaces sparkling clean. I guess it is discontinued.
Old 16th January 2020, 10:07   #1422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
R2D2 San, would this also mean that we need to disconnect the batteries from the UPS module
Hey there @prithm, long time no see

No, to check charging voltage you need to keep the cables connected to the inverter.

However, you need to disconnect to measure OCV (Open Circuit Voltage) which is one of the tests performed to check battery health. OCV voltage is measured 12-24 hours post disconnection OR after removing surface charge

I too bought several packets of the LM battery grease but can't remember where I kept them. Silly me!
Old 17th January 2020, 08:42   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Hey there @prithm, long time no see

No, to check charging voltage you need to keep the cables connected to the inverter.

However, you need to disconnect to measure OCV (Open Circuit Voltage) which is one of the tests performed to check battery health. OCV voltage is measured 12-24 hours post disconnection OR after removing surface charge

I too bought several packets of the LM battery grease but can't remember where I kept them. Silly me!
Indeed its been a while R2D2 san. Tides of Life seldom bestows pity on few to resurface for a gasp of their hobby.

I now understand that measurement would be both connected and then disconnected. Little worried about connected part cause its a little tight space in my inverter lair and have few reptilian friends (house lizards) homing there with new family hatching every summer. Don't want to get zapped with a bolt of charge in my arms while reaching out to terminals.

This is how my setup now looks. The top (yellow dot) has the inverter control module placed on a granite slab. Below it are the four 150 AH tall tubular batteries. The battery array shown below was placed in our verandah, but owing to safety, built and shifted it to its own lair.

Inverter Batteries-ventilation.jpg
Inverter Batteries-35kvaluminous.jpg
Old 17th January 2020, 12:24   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Indeed its been a while R2D2 san. Tides of Life seldom bestows pity on few to resurface for a gasp of their hobby.
Yeah, I know how that feels. Occurs quite frequently in my case.

Quote:
I now understand that measurement would be both connected and then disconnected
No, you don't need to disconnect if you are measuring charging voltage. Disconnect only if you want to measure OCV after giving the batteries some time for them to rest and the surface charge to dissipate.

BTW I notice you use Luminous batteries. Any feedback? I have a strong supporter Exide Tubular but given the price premium I am willing to consider tier 2 brands. Heck even Amaron's tubular is less expensive. My inverter batteries will turn 7 in April after turning in absolutely stellar performance..well, at the cost of about 60-100 units of electricity to keep em charged (yeah the inverter consumes quite a bit)..so I am bracing myself for a replacement set this year.
Old 18th January 2020, 08:33   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
No, you don't need to disconnect if you are measuring charging voltage. Disconnect only if you want to measure OCV after giving the batteries some time for them to rest and the surface charge to dissipate.
Will try this and let you know how it went R2D2 san. Do you have any good recommendation for a multimeter ? Cost of Yellow chinawala meters are pleasing to the eye when compared to eye watering price of others. This is my entry into heavy electricals, so your feedback will help greenhorn like me.

Quote:
BTW I notice you use Luminous batteries. Any feedback? I have a strong supporter Exide Tubular but given the price premium I am willing to consider tier 2 brands. Heck even Amaron's tubular is less expensive. My inverter batteries will turn 7 in April after turning in absolutely stellar performance..well, at the cost of about 60-100 units of electricity to keep em charged (yeah the inverter consumes quite a bit)..so I am bracing myself for a replacement set this year.
This is 3.5 kVA set up of Luminous and 2 years old. Currently it is retailing for Rs.65k in Amazon. RC18000 batteries seem to be the workhorse of Luminous it seems (feedback from the dealer). The UPS module had Red display when I got it, but the latest ones come with off-white colored display. No-nonsense type (without the gadgetry of inbuilt WiFi etc.). If you are planning to install Solar panels in future, all you would need is the Solar Controller (with appropriate voltage rating). No need to change the batteries or control module. Just plug and play.

The max discharge we subjected this array was ~24 hours. In that time, we used 3 non-led tubelights (~6 hours), 2 ceiling fans (~14 hours), 1 49' TV (~6 hours), 1 Set Top Box (~6 hours),1 Inverter Refrigerator (24 hours), 4 mobiles charging (~1 hour), 1 WiFi router (24 hours), 1 RO water (~2-3 hours).

End of all this, it had 45% still in it (given that these things display 5-10% lower than true remaining capacity to avoid deep discharge). Did not get any alarm or beeps.

I checked battery temperature while charging after this episode and it was barely above ambient temperature, though inverter module was running its fan like jet engine till it reached 85% charge. I used the thermocol spacers that came along in the box as base for each battery and a plastic trolley bottom for module, so there is enough bottom ventilation.

Coming to acid level, this set up is in Chennai and in closed space of its own. Hot and humid climate there sucks out 25% of water every 3-4 months. Takes ~1.5-2 ltr distilled water per battery.

Most Viewed