Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2022, 15:09   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
We have a 800 VA Surya Home Inverter paired with a 65 Ah C20 Tubular Battery manufactured by a local agency, Integrated Systems. The battery is estimated to be at least 4+ years old. Don't exactly know when it was bought since we moved in only 3 years ago

Whilst we experience infrequent power outages, of late we notice that when the supply is down the battery runs down within a few minutes. On checking, the readings on the display window are as under:

Heat = 039 to 042 C;
Battery V = 014.4 V;
AC IN = 235 V;[/FONT]
Charge Mode = Usually 2 and sometimes 4 and
CHAR AMP = 002 A

Based on the above readings, I believe that the battery needs to be replaced . Is that correct? Or do I need to carry out some further checks? If so, what do I need to check?

In case we do need to replace the battery, can we upgrade the battery to 100 Ah or 135 Ah so that more appliances and lights can be switched during an outage? I mean will an upgraded battery work with the existing Inverter.
Sure higer AH is no problem.

I have an 800VA UPS paired to a 200AH battery. Larger capacity gives longer backup. The only problem is that a 200AH battery takes much longer to charge fully, but that is not a problem if outages are infrequent.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 18:42   #1577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have a 800 VA Surya Home Inverter paired with a 65 Ah C20 Tubular Battery manufactured by a local agency, Integrated Systems. The battery is estimated to be at least 4+ years old. Don't exactly know when it was bought since we moved in only 3 years ago
Flat plate models go bad faster than tubular ones.

Quote:
..we notice that when the supply is down the battery runs down within a few minutes. On checking, the readings on the display window are as under:
Battery running down under load within minutes is a tell tale sign of a unit that's reached end of life.

Quote:
In case we do need to replace the battery, can we upgrade the battery to 100 Ah or 135 Ah so that more appliances and lights can be switched during an outage? I mean will an upgraded battery work with the existing Inverter.
Normally upgrading batteries to slightly higher capacity ones does no harm. However 65 to 100AH is a big jump of about 50%. You will need to check your inverter specs and specifically what is the largest capacity battery it can handle? Why? Charging amps is key when charging larger batteries, if low it will take more time and in areas of frequent outages the battery will never get a chance to be fully charged and that will impact its life. If the specs don't mention the charging amps and max battery capacity permitted ask the manufacturer if possible.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th February 2022 at 20:13. Reason: Quote tags
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 12:15   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Sure higer AH is no problem......... takes much longer to charge fully, but that is not a problem if outages are infrequent.
At one point in time, there were daily scheduled power cuts. But that's no longer the case. Now the power is sometimes switched off for maintenance with prior notice or because of an occasional breakdown. As such, I believe, that the bigger battery will have adequate time to charge fully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Flat plate models go bad faster than tubular ones. ......
The model currently in use is a Tubular 65 Ah C20 battery; not a plate battery.

Quote:
Battery running down under load within minutes is a tell tale sign of a unit that's reached end of life.
I guess so. Also, I have to keep refilling the battery almost every month.

Quote:
.........Normally upgrading batteries to slightly higher capacity ones does no harm............ Charging amps is key when charging larger batteries, .......... that will impact its life.
Whenever, I have checked, the reading is Char AMP = 002A. Is that adequate??

Quote:
......... If the specs don't mention the charging amps and max battery capacity permitted ask the manufacturer if possible.
I will try to contact the manufacturer and find out. However, on checking online, it appears that branded tubular inverter batteries are only available in 100 Ah capacity and above. Any recommendation regarding the brand and model I should consider?
Old 21st February 2022, 11:40   #1579
BHPian

Just go with Amaron 150ah Tall tubular battery. It has been pretty reliable for me so far.
Old 21st February 2022, 12:52   #1580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess so. Also, I have to keep refilling the battery almost every month.
Another tell tale sign of EOL

Quote:
Whenever, I have checked, the reading is Char AMP = 002A. Is that adequate??
This 002 is 2A? Or is there a decimal some place? I haven't seen the display on your inverter so asking.

Quote:
I will try to contact the manufacturer and find out. However, on checking online, it appears that branded tubular inverter batteries are only available in 100 Ah capacity and above. Any recommendation regarding the brand and model I should consider?
Recommendation is Exide Invatubular, eyes closed. There will be other brands like Amaron. But I have personally experienced the excellence of Exide's Invatubular range. My battery bank of 2 will turn 9 in April. Still running well although it is obviously showing its age in some respects including slightly more frequent water top ups.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 18:27   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
This 002 is 2A? Or is there a decimal some place? I haven't seen the display on your inverter so asking.
No decimal. So it's 2A, I guess.

Quote:
Recommendation is Exide Invatubular, eyes closed. There will be other brands like Amaron. But I have personally experienced the excellence of Exide's Invatubular range. My battery bank of 2 will turn 9 in April. Still running well although it is obviously showing its age in some respects including slightly more frequent water top ups.
Will check out the Invatubular range of Exide batteries. The agency is offering as a replacement Exide EL 150L 150 Ah C10 battery for Rs 11,000.00. Apparently recently introduced short tubular battery. Rather stick with the tried and tested products, though.
Old 21st February 2022, 21:03   #1582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No decimal. So it's 2A, I guess.
2A for float charge is a bit too much IMO. With my inverter it is 0.5-1A even with my really old batteries. Remember internal resistance increases as the unit ages.

Quote:
Will check out the Invatubular range of Exide batteries. The agency is offering as a replacement Exide EL 150L 150 Ah C10 battery for Rs 11,000.00. Apparently recently introduced short tubular battery. Rather stick with the tried and tested products, though.
Exides inverter batteries are more expensive than comparable Amaron models. You can use the short tubular in case you are. well, short of space.

Also the Invatubular range is the premium model you can also buy other tubular models like the one mentioned above to fit your budget.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 11:36   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
2A for float charge is a bit too much IMO. With my inverter it is 0.5-1A even with my really old batteries. Remember internal resistance increases as the unit ages.
Another indication, I believe, that the battery has to be replaced without further delay

Quote:
Exides inverter batteries are more expensive than comparable Amaron models. You can use the short tubular in case you are. well, short of space.
Space isn't a constraint. Have a well ventilated battery stand that can accommodate a battery with dimensions of 55/22/40 cms [L/W/H].

Quote:
Also the Invatubular range is the premium model you can also buy other tubular models like the one mentioned above to fit your budget.
I would happily opt for the premium range Invaltubular model but the minimum capacity in this series is 150 Ah. I believe that this is a bit of an overkill given that the current 65 Ah battery has served us adequately.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the power supply situation in this city has improved over the last six or seven years. Of course, until the overhead cables are replaced by underground ones as in Mumbai, there is always a possibility of a breakdown because of trees/branches falling on the power lines.

To take care of such eventualities, we are considering increasing the capacity of the battery by at least 50% to 100 Ah.
Old 22nd February 2022, 11:48   #1584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Space isn't a constraint. Have a well ventilated battery stand that can accommodate a battery with dimensions of 55/22/40 cms [L/W/H].
Please check the dimensions of the battery you intend to purchase and compare them to the stand.

Quote:
To take care of such eventualities, we are considering increasing the capacity of the battery by at least 50% to 100 Ah.
Sure, you are the best judge of the power supply situation in your area. If you believe a 100AH will suffice then by all means go ahead.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 16:03   #1585
Senior - BHPian

The optimum charging rate is 10 hours, so 20A max is required for 200AH battery. 2 A may be the "AC" mains side current and not the "DC" charging current. Anyway 2A at 220V should give 220/12 ~ 15A (after taking into account efficiency etc) at DC end good enough for 200AH battery charging.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:20   #1586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Anyway 2A at 220V should give 220/12 ~ 15A (after taking into account efficiency etc) at DC end good enough for 200AH battery charging
I have two 200AH batteries coupled with my 2 KVA Cruze-Luminous UPS. It has been working perfectly for the past 3.5 years.

The "Rated current" as given(photos attached) is 9.5A at 230V AC. I think this is also the maximum current to charge both the 200AH batteries when they are nearly empty (the charging current reduces as the battery becomes full).
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter Batteries-3.jpg  

Inverter Batteries-2.jpg  

Inverter Batteries-1.jpg  

Last edited by manim : 23rd February 2022 at 11:21.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 01:56   #1587
Senior - BHPian

I have a Luminous Zelio inverter with a Luminous 150 AH tall tubular battery which is now 91 months old. Recently I noticed the battery is quite warm to touch.. Power does not go off very frequently in our area and when it does, not more than an hour at the most. It takes the load for that period without any issues. In recent times while filling water I notice one particular cell is much lower, but not below plate.

What could be the issue with the battery? Is it ok to use it despite the warmth, or should I replace it? Water was topped up during first week of January.
Old 25th February 2022, 10:02   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have a Luminous Zelio inverter with a Luminous 150 AH tall tubular battery which is now 91 months old. Recently I noticed the battery is quite warm to touch..

What could be the issue with the battery? Is it ok to use it despite the warmth, or should I replace it?
Your batteries are about 7.5 years old. They will consume more current than necessary which heats up the batteries. Usually batteries at the end of their useful life, start consuming excess power - almost twice in many cases. When that happens, the reliability will become an issue. Overloading the charging circuitry in the UPS continuously over a prolonged period will damage the UPS.

Check the input current after turning off all the load. It should be less than 40 - 60 VA depending upon the size of the UPS - for a fully charged battery.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 11:17   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Check the input current after turning off all the load. It should be less than 40 - 60 VA depending upon the size of the UPS - for a fully charged battery.
It is a 900 VA sine wave inverter/UPS. What should be the input current?
Old 26th February 2022, 13:50   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is a 900 VA sine wave inverter/UPS. What should be the input current?
It should be around 50 VA depending upon the design ( typical quiescent current is about 200 mA). To quote an example our 3 KVA online UPS consumes a no-load current of about 150 mA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks