Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2022, 21:28   #1606
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
You would need atleast 800va, or 1kva to be future proof in case your load adds up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Currently using Exide tall tubular which is 2 years old. Previously Exide short tubular served just 4 years and conked off. So avoid short tubular/flat plate batteries and go with Exide long tubular eyes closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There are two parts to it - UPS capacity and Battery capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
For battery you can go with 150Ah for 5-6hrs backup for your requirement. Make sure you go with tubular battery instead of lead-acid or similar for longer life cycle.

19k I am assuming is for inverter + battery? If so, then the price is good. Just check the battery type - I suspect it would be lead-acid type.

Hope this helps. Happy shopping!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have switched to BDC motors and I notice a major difference in the back up time.
Gentlemen, thank you all for your prompt and very helpful feedbacks ! I got the inverter installation done today. Inverter and battery both are of Amaron make, inverter capacity is 1kVa and battery is 200 aH total cost me ₹19,000. The electrician guy checked and found out there was no wiring provided for inverter so had to shell out about 2.5k for getting wiring done ! The guy did good job, now every room is connected to the inverter, including fridge ! There's 1 - 2 seconds of delay for inverter to take over when power cuts off, hard to recognize, so I'll need to be alert when inverter takes over so as to turn off fridge. Is there any way I can add chimes/ beeps ? Sorry if I sound stupid . Battery warranty is 54 months.

Also one more question, the whole setup is done in staircase passage, both inverter and battery are in open. I've very curious cat at home, so is it safe to keep the setup in open ? The electrician guy did tell me it's absolutely safe, but I don't want to leave anything to chances. Can I enclose it in something like plastic / metal container ?
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 11:12   #1607
BRV
BHPian

Need inputs on Inverter. Due to frequent and unscheduled power outages we are having trouble working from home.

To address Internet availability during power cut purchased Resonate for router which is working fine for last one year (2hrs backup for router).

Now we need to address power for below items for at least 3-4 hours
  • 2 Laptops
  • 2 24' Monitors
  • Monitors are must due to the kind of work

We stay in rented accommodation and don't have inverter setup / wiring done in the house.

1. Is there a way we can use inverter only for one extension box like Luminous Icon Series (https://www.luminousindia.com/power-...rter/icon.html). This can be used anywhere in the house based on need.

2. Any other better solutions apart from having complete inverter setup for the house

3. Last option is to convince owner for inverter setup and bear the additional cost of wiring for the house
Old 18th May 2022, 13:07   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRV View Post

Now we need to address power for below items for at least 3-4 hours
  • 2 Laptops
  • 2 24' Monitors
  • Monitors are must due to the kind of work

We stay in rented accommodation and don't have inverter setup / wiring done in the house.

1. Is there a way we can use inverter only for one extension box like Luminous Icon Series (https://www.luminousindia.com/power-...rter/icon.html). This can be used anywhere in the house based on need.
The link you have indicated will work. However, do note that this product does not include a battery. You will anyway need to buy a seperate battery.

The only advantage of the above product is that it will look good with the entire setup in one box.

However, functionally, you can always buy an inverter + battery seperately too. This will allow you more mix and matches and potentially cheaper solution.

Your load indicates about 250 watts at Max assuming the laptops are about 50watts and monitors also around 50watts. At this wattage, typically the current at the battery terminals will be about 20amps. For 4 hours, you would need 80ah.

You only need something like a 500va inverter. However, I have not seen any such small capacity inverter but with a bigger battery. You can do some research on this. Assuming you don't get anything you want as an integrated setup,
I would suggest a 700va (or more) inverter + 100ah battery as a reasonable configuration that should also allow you to add a light or two to the system to work at nights. You can also move your router to the same setup and in fact also be able to add your other appliances like tv. If you get a smaller inverter, it should theoretically work but my guess is that you won't save much cost here.

If you are able to get an integrated setup that matches the above, you can buy that too. My guess is that, if you are looking for the most cost effective system a simple 700va inverter should be about 5k (plus or minus 1k), and the battery should be about 10k. If you can get a smaller battery, that also will work at a slightly lower backup time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post

Also one more question, the whole setup is done in staircase passage, both inverter and battery are in open. I've very curious cat at home, so is it safe to keep the setup in open ? The electrician guy did tell me it's absolutely safe, but I don't want to leave anything to chances. Can I enclose it in something like plastic / metal container ?
You can buy something like this to put the battery in, and place the inverter above this.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B076FX9XH5/...VAXNNZ53GPQDS9

Do note that batteries are supposed to be placed in a well ventilated area and so please do ensure that your place is fairly well ventilated.

Last edited by deep_bang : 18th May 2022 at 13:13.
deep_bang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 14:59   #1609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would definitely want to keep the cats off. Apart from electrical risk, there may be traces of battery acid.

The inverter will give off heat (do they all? mine does). That must have airflow.

The batteries will give of hydrogen, and that must be ventilated to avoid explosion risk. Remember that it is lighter than air, so you need ventilation at top to let it out, and lower down to let air in.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 09:37   #1610
BHPian

I have a Luminous Inverter and battery installed at my home since 10 years now. Initially I was getting a backup of almost 5 to 6 hours. Over the years its come down to approx. 3 hours. Question is, do I replace the battery OR add an additional battery? Anyone around Jayanagar, Bangalore who deals in Luminous? Any pointers would help.
Old 19th May 2022, 10:11   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
There's 1 - 2 seconds of delay for inverter to take over when power cuts off, hard to recognize, so I'll need to be alert when inverter takes over so as to turn off fridge.

The electrician guy did tell me it's absolutely safe, but I don't want to leave anything to chances. Can I enclose it in something like plastic / metal container ?
Fixed speed Fridge may have a starting current surge which might 'upset' your inverter over a period of time. Actually low VA inverters are not designed for inductive load (loads like motors).

I had a 3KVA industrial, always on UPS for our computers and it could take a 1.5KW water jug without any issue but when connected to a 800 VA vacuum cleaner it blew its power transistors.

Best thing is only connect the lights/fans/electronics to the inverter and isolate the fridge. Since you specifically did the wiring for the inverter circuit, you should have isolated the power load. It may not crib now, but is longevity will become a suspect eventually.

As others have said, your Inverter/Batteries need to be placed in a well ventilated space. Do NOT cover them - recipe for disaster. First thing is, As Thad said - the hydrogen released during charging is an explosive gas.

Second thing is unless you live in Nordic countries, the heat generated by the inverter has to be dissipated. If not your inverter will complain loudly with a sound and light show and die.

Treat them with 'respect' and they give you a long trouble free service.
Prowler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 10:32   #1612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There's 1 - 2 seconds of delay for inverter to take over when power cuts off, hard to recognize, so I'll need to be alert when inverter takes over so as to turn off fridge. Is there any way I can add chimes/ beeps ? Sorry if I sound stupid
If your refrigerator is the newer inverter type then the inverter will be able to handle the load.

Also, if your inverter is 1KVA, effective capacity would be around 800VA.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 14:29   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If your refrigerator is the newer inverter type then the inverter will be able to handle the load.

Also, if your inverter is 1KVA, effective capacity would be around 800VA.
Have a doubt here. Can it handle 440/500L Inverter type refrigerators as well or it can handle lower capacity only?
Old 23rd May 2022, 16:25   #1614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Have a doubt here. Can it handle 440/500L Inverter type refrigerators as well or it can handle lower capacity only?
Depends on the power consumption of the fridge and as long as it is less than the rated capacity of the inverter.

For example, we have an 1000VA inverter with 200A batteries . Our 190L inverter refrigerator runs fine on the inverter.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 12:11   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Inverter based motors have a soft start, that is the motor starts with practically zero current and then slowly ramps up to its full rated current. So as long as the running current is less than the inverter capacity, it will run.

Now beware of the inverter ratings, 800VA is not same as 800W, it is generally lower due to various factors, so assume that 800VA inverter is good enough for 600W or less.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 10:44   #1616
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok so it had to happen one day when the old Exide 200 AH Invatubulars really started showing their age making me actively look to replace them.

Now Pune, as with many places in the country, was burning hot in March and Apr when the last topup was done in mid Apr. I normally topup every 2-2.5 months but when I checked the batteries yesterday the floats were indicating a topup is required. Yes the extra consumption is mainly due to the heat but when these batteries were new they were topped up every 3-4 months and the frequency has more or less doubled. A sign that they're more or less on their last legs. One of the batteries has a dark greyish brown grease like substance floating on the surface of the electrolyte which I read on some US forums and websites is the result of +ve plate damage/shedding.

At well over 9 years old these batteries have exceeded my expectations in every way. Never given me issues. All that is required is a DW/DIW topup every few months.

And biw the hunt for a replacement set begins. Still debating whether to buy 200 AH or 150 AH as power outages are not frequent and they're for a max of 10-15 minutes.

This post isnt complete without a shout out to the microtek 1500 VA inverter (can't recall the model) that has provided equally good service with the exception of a cooling fan replacement some 4-5 years back. Float charging voltage is spot on at 27.4V (13.7 * 2) exactly per manufacturer's recommendations for the batteries. That precise charge voltage has contributed immensely to the longevity of the battery bank.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 10:45   #1617
Distinguished - BHPian

After setting aside some funds this expense I decided to give the Exides just one more chance. Thing is, they are old & showing their age but still functional and work perfectly when power fails for 5-10 minutes when sub stations are switched or whatever it is the idiots at the power company do that in turn bothers us consumers a few times a week.

Topped 'em off with DI water (nearly 4 litres!) and with temperatures at more reasonable levels (approx. 34-35 C in my city thanks to the pre-monsoon winds) I will monitor how long it is before I need to top up again. If a top up is required in <2 months then I will know it is time to retire the set. Fingers crossed.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:10   #1618
Senior - BHPian

As this is the most active thread related inverters, I am posting a query which is on inverter and not on batteries.

I am facing a frequent main MCB down issue. This does not happen when we turn on any equipment in particular but on couple of occasions I observed it happens when power goes down from local electricity board. My hunch is, there is a some backflow of current from inverter to mains and hence the MCB keeps tripping, when the power goes down. This has started happening since last 1 month only, while there were no changes made to any of the wiring from inverter or mains.

Any idea how do I investigate and pinpoint the cause and fix it?
Old 30th June 2022, 11:47   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
As this is the most active thread related inverters, I am posting a query which is on inverter and not on batteries.

I am facing a frequent main MCB down issue. This does not happen when we turn on any equipment in particular but on couple of occasions I observed it happens when power goes down from local electricity board. My hunch is, there is a some backflow of current from inverter to mains and hence the MCB keeps tripping, when the power goes down. This has started happening since last 1 month only, while there were no changes made to any of the wiring from inverter or mains.

Any idea how do I investigate and pinpoint the cause and fix it?
Most probably your MCB has given up, happens sometimes.

Back flow may happen due to faulty wiring, but as you say it has started recently. May be some wires are loose. Tighten all the screw in both MCB and the sockets. Check the NEUTRAL terminal blocks, they are most prone to loose screws and result in all sorts of "mysterious" glitches.
Old 8th July 2022, 16:44   #1620
Senior - BHPian

I currently have a tubular battery of local make (Older exide was replaced with this by the service guy when I was not at home). It has served for around 6-7 years but we are now facing issue where in the backup is not coming more than 4 hours even with just 1 or 2 fans running along with power for 2 laptops and modem. I am thinking of replacing the battery but not sure which one to go with. I reached out to a shop from where I purchase distilled water and he quoted 12k for an Amaron battery with 160AH with a backup of 5-6 hrs. I am somehow skeptical of Amaron due to the bad experience with my car battery and would like to go with Exide. Can you folks let me know which one is good and the price that I would get? Also can I have 2 150AH batteries added in series for getting a slightly higher backup?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks