Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 16:35   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Just an idea... there is a capacitor in the outdoor unit which might have failed. We have had this a couple of times.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:50   #872
BHPian

I've got a query. What advantage does the inverter tech in A/Cs have except power saving ? And is it worth the premium over a non-inverter tech A/C ? What is the approximate power saving compared to a similar non-inverter A/C ? Thanks a lot...
Old 31st March 2010, 18:35   #873
Senior - BHPian

@Thad E Ginathom for Samurai & pjbiju

Yes it should be the starting capacitor, If it is only the compressor that does not come on. In case even the external fan motor does not turn then it will be the running capacitor or the unit outside is not getting any current at all.

@aloathsomebrute

Have you filtered any manufacturer/brand. What is the budget and your preference between split and window?

@ anku94

Power saving is the major advantage. The worth of the premium depends upon the size of the machine and its usage. The bigger the machine and more the usage faster is the ROI and resultant savings. Manufacturers claim savings up to 50%.
At this time the premium being asked in the local market is way too high, it will be at least an year or two before we see these prices fall to a realistic level.

Did you get any chikki?

Last edited by khoj : 31st March 2010 at 18:38.
Old 31st March 2010, 19:33   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@ anku94
Did you get any chikki?
How did you get to know of my Lonavala trip ? Wait a sec, are you in my Facebook or Orkut friends list ?

btw, yeah, I got lots of chikki, although I feel it's more like Unchi Dukaan, Feeka Pakwan. There was no big deal in the peanuts chikki atleast, you can get better in Patiala. Maybe that's coz I was loving (and missing) my home more and more while at the ashram...
Old 31st March 2010, 21:15   #875

Quote:
@aloathsomebrute

Have you filtered any manufacturer/brand. What is the budget and your preference between split and window?
Open to any manufacturer/ brand - don't have any brands I hate/ love. I am willing to extend the budget if there's a tangible benefit in terms of low running cost (power consumption). Both ACs might run upto 8 years on weekdays and upto 12 hours on weekends, for whatever that's worth.

Would prefer window ACs cause of the ease of installation, but open to split as well if some models are good VFM.
Old 31st March 2010, 21:17   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
How did you get to know of my Lonavala trip ?
Think you had mentioned it earlier on this thread!
Old 31st March 2010, 23:16   #877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Take the after sale service numbers for these two from your dealer and call both of them, see the ease of reaching them and how they respond, should help you decide accordingly.
i shall keep you posted
Thanks
Old 1st April 2010, 00:23   #878
BHPian

Need help with AC in Chennai

Hello to all the good folk here at Team-BHP

I'm interested in purchasing an AC in Chennai at the moment. I need your help in deciding what kind of an AC to purchase. Here are some relevant details which might help you guys in pointing me in the right direction. Hope these help.

Budget - 20-25k Max. Won't be able to stretch it any more.

Room Specifications
- 20 feet(L) by 15 feet(W) by 9 feet(H)(approximately)

Daily Usage - 5-6 hours weekdays, more on weekends.

Location of house - My House is on the top floor of the apartment, but there are other apartments surrounding it. As a result, it doesn't heat up too much during the morning till about 12. After that it gets a bit toasty. Still, it's a relatively cool house.

Type of AC I want to purchase
- It may be a Window AC or a split AC. There is a provision to attach a window AC in one of the windows. I'm okay with any type, as long as the cooling is effective. I know there are not too many split AC's in my price range, but like I said. I'm okay with a Windows AC too.

Have I done some research on AC's available at the moment? - Yes. I have been to Shah's and Vivek's near to my place. I had heard that Voltas AC's are pretty decent so I was looking for them. I've been given a quote of 23k for a split AC from Voltas Vertis 1.5 Ton, with an EER of 2.68 and a star rating of 2. With my limited knowledge of AC's, I think it might not be very effective. However I might be wrong as well. Among windows AC's I was given a quote of 17.5k for a 1.5 Ton Voltas Vertis Plus with EER - 2.55 and star rating of 2. I am sorry I don't really know the model numbers. There were a few other models from LG and Samsung as well, but I haven't really looked at them for now.

So what do you people suggest? If all goes well, I might consider purchasing the AC by this weekend.

I would really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Please let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks to all who took the time out to read this post of mine
Old 1st April 2010, 00:27   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloathsomebrute View Post
Open to any manufacturer/ brand - don't have any brands I hate/ love. I am willing to extend the budget if there's a tangible benefit in terms of low running cost (power consumption). Both ACs might run upto 8 years on weekdays and upto 12 hours on weekends, for whatever that's worth.

Would prefer window ACs cause of the ease of installation, but open to split as well if some models are good VFM.
Per your usage pattern and the time frame involved you should stick to Ogeneral, Hitachi and other makes in the same league. I would recommend the Hitachi Quadracool TM window followed by OGeneral window, followed by any other Japanese major.

Quote:
Thanks a Ton Killjoy!
Old 1st April 2010, 01:23   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks a Ton Killjoy!
lol...I found the post...I'm known for many things but memory is not one of them.

Last edited by anku94 : 1st April 2010 at 01:24.
Old 1st April 2010, 13:38   #881

Quote:
Thanks a Ton Killjoy!
Ha ha.. you would have just freaked the poor guy out :-)

About the ACs, do you think it makes sense to go for 1.5T or should I consider 1 or 1.2T as well? The rooms are between 120-150 sq. ft. I believe - can confirm the exact measurements later tonight.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:39   #882
Senior - BHPian

150 to 120 square feet in Delhi summers for 8 to 12 hours a day for 8 years = 1.5 Tons.
Strictly 100 sq feet =1.2 Ton. 80 sq feet or less 1 Ton these guidelines are for residential usage only.

Remember in our houses we have multiple sources of heats from our kitchens to appliances to leaking window and door frames etc etc. All of these load up the compressors and it is advisable to have some amount of reserve capacity to overcome those extra hot days.

As I type this I am reminded of Delhi's heat and would suggest you to go for a split rather than the window and again from any of the Japanese companies. Splits are definitely more efficient in cooling and in electric consumption too. If I were to rank them in terms of price it would be Panasonic(2 or 3 star rated), Hitachi (logicool series), Mitsubishi, Panasonic (5 star rated), Hitachi(Atom and the new follow me models), Sanyo, OGeneral, Toshiba, Daiken.

The Panasonic series with 2 /3 star ratings are as good at cooling as the 5 star rated series only thing is they consume more power. The best balance would be achieved with Hitachi Logicool series it is 5 star rated and has the same compressors as the Atom and the new series from Hitachi but without the premium for the branding.

Last edited by khoj : 1st April 2010 at 14:40.
Old 1st April 2010, 15:45   #883

Quote:
The best balance would be achieved with Hitachi Logicool series it is 5 star rated and has the same compressors as the Atom and the new series from Hitachi but without the premium for the branding.
Having spent about 10 years in selling ACs of various brands, I would put my money in Hitachi's Logicool. IMO, It is the best no-frill AC that one can buy in India. As a company policy, it is not meant for the domestic customer, and only for corporate/institutional/commercial establishments. But I am sure you can contact the nearest dealer and he might be able to help.

PM me if anyone wants the co-ordinates of the local Hitachi sales person. I might be able to help.
Old 1st April 2010, 16:33   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
One AC guy taught me a simple method of AC capacity sizing calculation.

Multiply the cu. feet with a factor of 10, this gives the BTU/hr cooling required for the room. To convert this BTU/hr to tons, divide this figure by 1200 (approximate to the nearest lower standard capacity of AC unit avialable).

But, this is just an approximate calculation for our understanding of the capacity requirements.
That is indeed a very good and easy formula, however either the factor to convert from feet cube to BTU/Hr should be 1.0 instead of 10 or the division to convert from BTU/hr to Ton should be by 12000 and not 1200 (do correct me if I am wrong)

The results are very close to those calculated professionally and can be used to make purchasing decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hello to all the good folk here at Team-BHP

I'm interested in purchasing an AC in Chennai at the moment.
Budget - 20-25k Max. Won't be able to stretch it any more.

Room Specifications
- 20 feet(L) by 15 feet(W) by 9 feet(H)(approximately)

Daily Usage - 5-6 hours weekdays, more on weekends.

Location of house - My House is on the top floor of the apartment, but there are other apartments surrounding it. As a result, it doesn't heat up too much during the morning till about 12. After that it gets a bit toasty. Still, it's a relatively cool house.
@sourav9385
Your specs point towards an air con in the 2 ton plus category. Apart from the large room you have a huge roof exposed to Sunlight. Use the formulae given in Abes post on the previous page and check it out.

Get in touch with kjmdas below to see how you can get a logicool two ton split machine as that will be the best techno commercial solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmads View Post
Having spent about 10 years in selling ACs of various brands, I would put my money in Hitachi's Logicool. IMO, It is the best no-frill AC that one can buy in India. As a company policy, it is not meant for the domestic customer, and only for corporate/institutional/commercial establishments. But I am sure you can contact the nearest dealer and he might be able to help.

PM me if anyone wants the co-ordinates of the local Hitachi sales person. I might be able to help.
Hi kjmdas,

I have a decade old Amtrex window unit. While most of the components are in good condition the 2 ton Tecumseh reciprocating compressor has leaked due to a hole in its side wall. I was wondering if I could retrofit a 1.5 ton compressor and use the other components as they are. The gas/liquid pipes and the capillary etc. would be reduced/retrofitted to match the new compressor's ports.

Do let me know if this would be technically feasible. If yes then please recommend a good compressor in terms of type reci/rotary and make. Thank You.
Old 3rd April 2010, 12:09   #885
BHPian

Khoj what is your take on the Onida 1T model-S112SLH5? It is a 5 star model with BEE rating of 3.59 cooling capacity of 3700W and power consumption 1030.
In terms of price there will be about 3-4K difference in Hitachi 0.9T model and this Onida model. However I doubt whether the 0.9T will suffice my west facing room hence being inclined to 1T models.
I could not check out Panasonic since there are just 1-2 shops selling Panasonic and their customer service is not that great here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks