Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 15:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
bsnl 3g has it been launched in bangalore yet?
i got calls from bsnl people regarding my interest in 3g and when i said yes they said 3g will be launched shortly and person will contact me then.
But i found the tarrifs a bit too pricey .

Their website seems to be offering 3G at promotional rates
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd.

Not sure whether it is operational yet or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
BSNL - Bhai Saheb Nahin Lagega
MTNL - Mera Telephone Nahin Lagta

Part of records of the Lok Sabha following a question by Mr Ahluwalia to the then Telecom Minister - D Maran

Need one say any more
LOL. Quite true. I have some friends who have no choice but use BSNL. Every two minutes or so, the call gets dropped!
Old 31st December 2009, 16:35   #17
BHPian

BSNL 3G is still not available in Pune. but im waiting for it.. and plan to buy a 3G iPhone when i finally can use it.
Old 1st January 2010, 01:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vdiatech,

Once you get the 3G connection with promotional plan you will get 45 minutes Video call free. It is easy to use. Once you type the number to be called, go to options in call it will show voice call and Video cal thenl select video call and dial. If the receiver has video call camera and 3 G you can see him, Check Pm for test number.
Old 1st January 2010, 09:27   #19
BHPian

i have been using bsnl 3g since launch .The fastest download speed i got once was one mbps -only once though since then average of around 500kbps (all thru speedtest.net) . The best part was they giving a really fancy number series to all eg 9445511 was the starting series and you could choose the last three digits from about 500-800 and this was for prepaid .So i chose a good number for me and my wife and the plan was to migrate the number some other service later.
I hate the non existent customer service( If it does not exist can u hate it?) AND THE signal quality is not so great.
Video calling is an awesome feature me and the misus keep using that. U get 50 mins free /month.
@sx4lover - iphone 3g does not support video calling ,i use the same but bsnl 3g is gr8 for data .
Old 1st January 2010, 11:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Been using the MTNL 3G for over 2 months now. The only real benefit has been about 50% reduction in my monthly bill. Service is not so great but lately I had beenf acing the same issues with vodafone too. The calls would simply not come through. Now I ahve started naming 3G as " try 3 times G if you want to get through". Most of my friends vouch that it is indeed the case. So now I know that when my phone rings someone really wants to talk to me. LOL
Old 3rd January 2010, 00:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPIans,

I got a new 3G Sim recently. When we go for BSNL SIM, they thoroughly check the iD proof and the Address proof. After the paper verification they give the sim. Now to my surprise they too really started to worry about the security risk and want to know their Customer. One man came to our doorstep and did the physical verification and got it signed and went. Hi service providers please do this job for the sake of the Nation.
Old 8th January 2010, 14:34   #22
BHPian

Any more people using BSNL 3G services?

I have a 2G Prepard BSNL card. Any idea about conversion to 3G?
Old 29th January 2010, 18:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Guys, EVDO cards are launching my town on the Feb 15th. Now 3G is available.

I intend to surf my lappy using any one of the either. Which is good? 3G sim or EVDO?

If its 3G, how do I use it on my lappy? The customer care is a joke. No point asking them.
Old 30th January 2010, 00:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Just go to the Customer care office and give the requisition for 3G and pay the plan amount you will be given and activated in 24 hours.
Old 30th January 2010, 13:11   #25
BHPian

I am using BSNL 3G here in Thrissur, Kerala. You can connect to internet through your mobile phone using the pc suite software (nokia phones).
Browsing speed is less than that of 2 Mbps bsnl broadband.

My speedtest.net results for 3G and regular 2mbps broadband connection on pc.

3G

Download : 1.14 Mbps
Upload : 0.34 Mbps
ISP : National Internet Backbone
Ping: 198 ms

Broadband (500C plan)
Download : -1.39 Mbps
Upload : 0.32 Mbps
ISP : National Internet Backbone
Ping: 109 ms

Its definitely better that other GPRS connections.
No idea about how this fares against the EVDO connection.

Hope this helps

Last edited by mithunkb : 30th January 2010 at 13:18.
Old 30th January 2010, 13:19   #26
BHPian

Planning to upgrade to MTNL 3G. Their site is clear about retaining present SIM and upgrading to 3G. So hopefully no hassles.
Old 6th February 2010, 22:33   #27
BHPian

how good is BSNL 3G service?

I am visiting India in a few days and thinking of taking the new Google Nexus One phone for my dad, but he says that there is no point because there is no 3G service except BSNL which is not as good as it should be.

However, I doubt that he has any ability to judge the quality of BSNL's 3G service so I thought I'd ask you guys about it.

If BSNL's 3G is not really true effective broadband capability, then there is indeed no point in me bringing a nexus one for him.

I am not looking just for internet connectivity. I am sure BSNL can do that. its about real broadband connectivity.

any input would be appreciated.

thanks!
Old 16th February 2010, 14:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Got a SMS from BSNL. Will launch 3g from 20th Feb in Bengaluru.
Old 16th February 2010, 18:01   #29
BHPian

I have been using it since launch here in Siliguri. Prob is the speed is not consistent. It can be fast for a while - then drops...can't be used as a replacement for BB speeds (landline based). Yes, it is faster than GPRS, but that is about it. Video calling is nice. Though you tend to get bored seeing mugshots of your friends all the time. I think good old 2G is better.
Old 16th February 2010, 23:09   #30
BHPian

I have a postpaid plan with BSNL for mobile. A week back I bought an E72 and got my plan changed to BSNL 3G. I have also a BSNL land line with broadband.

In BSNL broadband land line connection one could check the account usage details through internet whenever one wished.

Can it be done for BSNL 3G too?

Second, I have installed Google Maps on my E72. Can anyone enlighten me if Google Maps connect to the internet every time I open it or it is only a one time process triggered when the application was installed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks