Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 11:17   #106
BANNED

Yes, I have BSNL 3G active on my Nokia 5230. Not in much use however. Whenever I needed it worked. The phone is mostly with my wife, and she does not like the touch interface.I may switch to an Android (capacitive in place of resistive) or BB in order to use it more.
Old 30th November 2010, 12:47   #107
Team-BHP Support

I can confirm that my BSNL prepaid card works without a hic up in KA, KL and TN. Only In MH i had an issue.
Old 1st December 2010, 10:49   #108
BHPian

Can the prepaid sims be procured from any cell phone store or do we need to approach the telephone exchange for this?
Old 5th December 2010, 20:52   #109
BHPian

Well i got mine from the bsnl stores, where they collect bills, took 30 minutes, and i had a working prepaid 3g activated connection. Total amount i spent for the same was. Rs 59 for Sim, Rs 120 for 6 months validity and Rs 55 for talk time, For first week unlimited downloads are there, i am planning to pick up a 3g modem to use with the same.
Old 6th December 2010, 00:07   #110
BHPian

I will be back to Bangalore and planning for a mobile up gradation. Can some body ans this question/suggestion some thing.
1. Planning for Android mobile (15k).
2. Porting from Vodocom to BSNL 3g (Dont wanna change no).
3, How is the BSNL connectivity in Bangalore ?
Old 7th December 2010, 10:16   #111
Senior - BHPian

I purchased the BSNL 3G card yesterday.The tarrif are the same as mentioned by Dushie.As the data is free for 1week am using this and the speed is really good.
I have am N73 phone am connecting this to my desktop through cable and it is seemless fast.
Old 13th December 2010, 10:12   #112
Senior - BHPian

Re: Anybody using BSNL 3G

I got a BSNL 3G on a 6 months unlimited plan (works out to about 700 per month) with a Teracom 7.2Mbps LW723 data card. Some snafu's:

1. Works blazing fast - sometimes! Blessed thing is very sensitive to signal strength
2. There is no signal strength indicator (bar type) in the console - just says EDGE or 3G! Great help that is
3. The console program supplied by BSNL works well enough on Win7 as long as one has a mouse. With a touch screen, the program behaves as if one is holding the title bar of the window and dragging it around!!! This prevents any of the icons from being pressed via touchscreen. Whoever wrote this program does not know proper Windows programming. Apparently there are Mac OS and Linux drivers available for this device, but at least it did not come loaded with those
4. Funny programming continues in the driver design. In fact it is *really* crazy and vexing. When the driver installs, it replaces whatever sound device is installed as default with one of it's own. WHY? The console allows the data card to be used as a telephone with the PC program!!! So, to enable telephony it *replaces* the default sound device with its own, instead of hooking on to the internal mixer and using the default sound device for mic and speakers, the way Skype and other programs do
5. The above is done *even if* one is connecting just to access Internet, so you can say bye-bye to listening to music when the card is connected. There is no option given to switch this pesky behavior off
Old 15th December 2010, 22:32   #113
Senior - BHPian

MTNL 3G & iMAC

I've a peculiar problem. I've a iMAC 7.1 and the MTNL 3G data card. While the data card installed seamlessly on my PC and started working immediately, the same is not true with the Apple.

When the MTNL data card is inserted in the Mac's USB, it shows up as a CD on the desktop and clicking it opens up a folder that has three folders - Linux, Mac & Setup and two files autorun.inf & setup.exe.

On clicking the Mac folder it shows a file - MTNL 3G.mpkg. Double clicking on this file starts the installation and after some time the installation finishes successfully.

After that there is a dead end. No connecting icon or anything appears. Clicking on the Applications folder gives only one option - Uninstall MTNL 3G.

Now, am I doing something wrong or is there any other method or some new files need to be downloaded from the net?

Help....
Old 15th December 2010, 23:31   #114
Senior - BHPian

I have been able to configure it on my iMAC
Old 16th December 2010, 10:05   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I have been able to configure it on my iMAC
Would you mind describing how you managed to get it working?
Old 16th December 2010, 10:26   #116
Senior - BHPian

From the MAC folder copy the file MTNL 3G.mpkg onto the desktop. Clickon the HD icon and eject the MTNL 3G DATA CARD (meaning remove the stick).

Now double click on the MTNL 3G.mpkg to start installation. After the installation is successful and finished, go to Applications and you shall see an added programme - MTNL 3G in blue. Click on this and a window opens.

Fill the following details:

Number: *99#
User: mtnl
Password: mtnl123
APN: gprsmtnldel (if you are in Delhi/NCR) or gprsbsnlhyd

Click on connect and you are ready to roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Would you mind describing how you managed to get it working?

Last edited by gd1418 : 16th December 2010 at 10:27.
Old 23rd January 2011, 20:14   #117
BHPian

Got the 3G SIM for the iPad. The connectivity throughout the city is excellent. I get 3G everywhere in the city except my own home, where it switches over to EDGE. On the whole, I feel it was a good buy. Speeds are very good too, daresay hovering around the 1Mbps mark.
Old 2nd July 2011, 11:00   #118
BHPian

Can any BSNL 3G user from Bangalore, hopefully from HSR Layout / Sarjapura Rd area, share their most recent experience?

My Reliance WiMAX connection which was working pretty great (and quite economical @ it's true 600kbps Unlimited for 1100/-), has suddenly decided that it has had enough with my internet usage... probably taking sides with my wife :-) LOL. Looking for cost effective alternative, which is reliable, and Unlimited.
Old 6th July 2011, 14:28   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Can any BSNL 3G user from Bangalore, hopefully from HSR Layout / Sarjapura Rd area, share their most recent experience? .
Works well in HSR and on Koramangala 1st block side, get decent speeds above 1.5 MBPS also. Anything else you want to know?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 01:23   #120
BHPian

I have a doubt. Can BSNL 3G sim card working on Nokia X3(Ordinary phone without 3G compatability) be used as a modem by connecting the phone to laptop and start using internet. If possible, then what may be the speed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks