Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Looks like DOCOMO is a big hit here in Bangalore. I've been to about 3-4 mobile shops, and none of them have stock of the SIMs. One shokeeper even mentioned that even if he had 500 connections with him right now, they would all be sold out within minutes. Demand is just crazy, and so is the waiting period!
Waiting period for a mobile connection!! That is something.

Looks like Tatas have found a trick or two to sell their mobile connections, at last!
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:03   #32
BHPian

Has anyone got a postpaid DOCOMO connection in Bangalore? The call centre guys say that it will be "launched" within a week and someone will come home after that time to collect my documents and application.
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
One shokeeper even mentioned that even if he had 500 connections with him right now, they would all be sold out within minutes. Demand is just crazy, and so is the waiting period!
Looks like another network is going to get haywire due to the overload very soon. And I am sure airtel, vodafone and the rest of gang may not sit idle watching the 1 second plan getting sold like hot cake. I pray vodafone does the same, atleast I dont have to change my number again!
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:17   #34
BHPian

BTW DOCOMO is a big Japanese Telecom company
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:17   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
1 sec. pulse.. that must first in industry.
Not really - I remember the Bombay Cellphone operators (either BPL or Hutch) had really long back - maybe 1997 or so - but they then dropped after some time.

Also, I am not why this is such a big thing - I can't think that this reducing your phone substantially unless you make lots &
lots of very short calls (a minute or two in duration).

Last edited by carboy : 22nd July 2009 at 14:20.
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Looks like another network is going to get haywire due to the overload very soon. And I am sure airtel, vodafone and the rest of gang may not sit idle watching the 1 second plan getting sold like hot cake. I pray vodafone does the same, atleast I dont have to change my number again!
Saw some ads from vodafone for 50p/min [ 60 sec ] and from airtel 20p/min

I am not aware if there is any catch in them. Need to do research on the same
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I can't think that this reducing your phone substantially unless you make lots & lots of very short calls (a minute or two in duration).
I make a lot of calls of very short duration, but presently end up paying for 60 seconds. It matters big when you take 30 days in total. (Eg. your wife is shopping, you just want to tell her "I am waiting infront of the main entrance". Or you want to call your driver and say "Come to the main door, I am ready to go"). Such calls will cost you only 5 paisa on the DOCOMO plan. 100 such calls = Rs.5 on Docomo, Rs.80 on my present vodafone plan. Now you can see the difference. And its all over India, so why should I SMS someone, when I can actually call and convey the message ! Now I am paying Rs.1.50 for a national SMS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Saw some ads from vodafone for 50p/min [ 60 sec ] and from airtel 20p/min
I have not got any changes in my plan. It might take time to see others following the suit. Lets hope its faster.

Last edited by shajufx : 22nd July 2009 at 19:33.
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:53   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I make a lot of calls of very short duration, but presently end up paying for 60 seconds. It matters big when you take 30 days in total. (Eg. your wife is shopping, you just want to tell her "I am waiting infront of the main entrance". Or you want to call your driver and say "Come to the main door, I am ready to go"). Such calls will cost you only 5 paisa on the DOCOMO plan. 100 such calls = Rs.5 on Docomo, Rs.80 on my present vodafone plan. Now you can see the difference.
I maybe wrong, but I doubt if most people maybe 100 calls a month of 5 seconds duration - even for them this may decrease the phone bill by 10% a month. For a lot of others it would be 2-3%.

I am not saying that this plan won't reduce the bill - what I am surprised about is the huge amount of enthusiasm for this plan considering the amount of reduction. For eg. I think paying 60p/minute instead of 80p/minute will have a much bigger impact for most people as compared to the 1 second billing.
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

I am not talking against your idea buddy. My only point is group all your calls together and see how much you pay based on a 60 second pulse plan. I dont look at the time counter when I make a call, do you ? I never end a call exactly at 60 seconds or 120 seconds, do you ? Now what about the number of calls that you end at 1 minute 5 seconds, or 1 minute 20 seconds etc. ? So what I commented on my short calls of 5 seconds of 100 calls apply to everyone who also ends a call at 1 minute 5 seconds, or even 5 minutes 10 seconds, in short, you are saving on every call you are making. I stand corrected if I am making a blunder in my calculations.

Another side of this story is: Even if you have a 500 minutes of free calls in your present call plan, you must be having atlest Rs.400+ as your monthly committed bill, you use it or not does not matter.

Last edited by shajufx : 22nd July 2009 at 21:29.
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
Has anyone got a postpaid DOCOMO connection in Bangalore? The call centre guys say that it will be "launched" within a week and someone will come home after that time to collect my documents and application.
I have a Docomo Post paid mobile .. According to the Sales executive the services were launched on 10th Jul .. I took my connection on 13th July. I got a decent number for me and my wife too ...

Now let me share my plan details :

Monthly Rental : 299
All the calls are 1 ps per sec. (for local and STD calls)

Along with this

there are 3 toppings:
1. 150 Local Minutes
2. 50 STD minutes
3. 500 local SMS

Anyone can opt for any combination of this.

I opted for 100 minutes STD (6000 seconds) + 150 (9000 seconds) minutes of Local minutes.

The network is not so great but I feel its improving. First 2 days I had some trouble but now it seems to have reduced.

Personally I feel its a good scheme for STD users but might not be a great one for users who spend more time on local calls than STD calls and from what I have heard Docomo prepaid has better offers than the postpaid one.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:04   #41
BHPian

@sam_boy, thanks for the info.
Did you get your connection by visiting any dealer? Or did the guy come to your place and gave you the connection? Do you have their contact number?
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:49   #42
BHPian

how is Docomo compared to airtel? Im kinda fed up with airtel's prepaid service so im thinking of switching.
Old 23rd July 2009, 23:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayr View Post
@sam_boy, thanks for the info.
Did you get your connection by visiting any dealer? Or did the guy come to your place and gave you the connection? Do you have their contact number?
I called up my friend who is working for Tata Tele Services in Kolkata .. She arranged the call between me and the sales guy .. I have his number .. If you are interested then PM me I will send you the number ..

Thanks .
Old 24th July 2009, 09:13   #44
BHPian

Airtel has issues. Signal drop common , voice echo frequently, signal bar shows full but fails to connect, not many cross connections but very few times.
Old 31st July 2009, 01:47   #45
BHPian

I've been DOCOMO'd guys!! cudnt really stop myself from picking up a SIM ever since i heard about the 1 second pulse rate, although ive been very very happy with my existing Vodafone connection!! Finally, a 'pay for what you use' service!! Hats off to TATA for bringing the Japanese telecom giant to India!! Anyway, picked up the sim this morning, the first shop i went to was out of stock, struck luck at the 2nd shop i tried! He had about 15 sims in stock and willingly let me choose the number even! then came the shock, Rs. 200 he said for a 49 Rs SIM and 50 Rs Recharge voucher! Take it or leave it he said, tried bargaining but he did'nt seem to budge!! he even claimed his rate was the cheapest in the area, lol. Apparently, according to him, a few retailers were even charging 400-5000 a sim! :o Had no choice but to pick it up eventually for his price (considering the mad rush for docomo sims out there), it took a while for the sim to get activated because of the 'Overloaded' Docomo system, lol!
Tried calling customer care to let them know about the 'overcharge' issue. Took me about 10 attempts to get through to their customer service lines, kept getting a 'Line Busy' message every time i tried! Finally got through to a lady and when i told her about my 'buying experience', she seemed to be very calm with her reply and said, 'we are aware of the problem and have escalated it to the people concerned! I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused!'. Don't see how they can put a stop to this but it'll be nice to see a few Docomo stores, always a better place to go to than picking it up from a retailer.
As far as the network is concerned, the signal bars were at their maximum throughout the day. I made a few calls and was pretty pleased with the voice clarity as well! The promotional rates on the prepaid (1p/sec on STD to any phone anywhere in India and the 100 SMS's everyday offer in Karnataka) may not last very long according to the lady @ customer care, she said they may close the promotion in 3 months! so, all you docomo fans out there, make a dash for the sim!!
I am going to use the new service along with my Vodafone for a month, compare the 2 before making a decision! But so far, Docomo's been impressive, even beats Vodafone by a single network bar at a particular corner at home, LOL!! :d

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks