Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 00:08   #91
Senior - BHPian

^^^You are talking about your experience in Bombay or Poona? You find Docomo clearer than Vodafone?

Don't know about Vodafone, but here Docomo cannot match Idea's (which has been my main number) coverage. That includes inter city in-building coverage, and coverage on outskirts. Handset battery consumption is higher with Docomo. The only area where Docomo scores is the tariff. However, I guess, the voice clarity is almost comparable.
Old 26th August 2010, 01:24   #92
Senior - BHPian

Had been to a trip to Mahabeleshwar yesterday. We had Docomo, Idea, Aircel, Reliance GSM between us. My observations en rounte to Panchgini and Mahabeleshwar (in order of performance) -
  • Idea - as expected, overall the best coverage. Not that even they it have all areas covered, but its better than all the others.
  • Docomo - Better than I had expected considering its just over a year old. However, many areas in between the 2 hills stations were not covered. Coverage in Mahabeleshwar is especially needs improvement. However, voice clarity was good, where coverage was there at least where I used it. Data connection did let me down on several ocasions en route, in car, from Poona to Panchgini - just would not connect.
  • Aircel - Coverage seemed just next to Docomo; however the voice clarity was not as good (not too bad either). In short, it seems similar to what it is in Poona - not great but not too bad. Not tried their GPRS/EDGE. Have heard it can be damn slow.
  • RGSM - By far the worst of them all; and by a large margin. Very large areas simply not covered and voice clarity was very bad in the one call I made in Panchgini. As everyone might know, voice clarity is really bad, in fact often just unusauble, even in Poona and wherever else I have used it. Simply put, its the worst connection you can have.

So overall tho Docomo did not let me down too much, they need a lot more work if it is to match Idea's reliability and coverage. I hope and expect them to improve with time.

Last edited by Raccoon : 26th August 2010 at 01:26.
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:58   #93
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata DOCOMO

I've never had a good experience with Docomo, they may be cheap but they always somehow manage to activate services that I haven't subscribed to. Resolving the issue online isn't difficult, but after 2-3times I got sick of constantly having to contact them every second day.

So I've never recharged Docomo since a year and stayed with Vodafone (where I've never had any issues in the past 6 years - touchwood). No matter how cheap TATA Docomo is, the network coverage hasn't been good, and the way I've always been wrongly charged will ensure Ill never go back.
Old 30th October 2017, 11:19   #94
BHPian

Considering Tata Docomo is shutting down soon and Airtel are taking over, has anyone been contacted by Tata Docomo on exactly how the migration will happen from the customer's point of view?

Are we supposed to call Airtel and port, or will Airtel/Docomo do a seamless migration to the effect that one fine day we will see "Airtel" instead of "Tata Docomo" on our phone?

Would we once again have to submit KYC documents to Airtel? Would we have to go to an Airtel shop and get a new SIM or will the same old SIM just continue to work?

Has anyone been given (or tried to ask) for such information?

I am being contacted by Airtel (or some call centre maybe) telling me that if I do not do the changeover to Airtel (their salesman will come home and do all that's needed) by the end of this month (now they have changed their tune saying Dec 31), my phone would be disconnected! Meaning, I have to pick a plan, do the porting, get a new SIM, submit KYC documents etc.

If the above is the case, where is there a "migration"? It's just the same as a normal porting request by a customer.

Cheers
Old 30th October 2017, 11:50   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Considering Tata Docomo is shutting down soon and Airtel are taking over, has anyone been contacted by Tata Docomo on exactly how the migration will happen from the customer's point of view?

Has anyone been given (or tried to ask) for such information?

Cheers
When BPL Mobile announced its closure, I had to complete the Porting procedure and move to an alternate service provider to retain my number.
However, if DOCOMO is being purchased by Airtel and taking over all subscribers, I am not sure what the procedure would be. It would be better to be proactive and put in a porting request and transfer your number manually, before the last minute.
I still haven't got my security deposit of 2500/- from BPL, as I ported at the last minute.
Old 30th October 2017, 12:37   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
When BPL Mobile announced its closure, I had to complete the Porting procedure and move to an alternate service provider to retain my number.
However, if DOCOMO is being purchased by Airtel and taking over all subscribers, I am not sure what the procedure would be. It would be better to be proactive and put in a porting request and transfer your number manually, before the last minute.
I still haven't got my security deposit of 2500/- from BPL, as I ported at the last minute.

BPL for Maharashtra & Goa circle was taken over by Hutch, and then taken over by Vodafone. We didn't have to do anything. The bpl sim card still worked.
Coming to tata docomo, i ported out to idea back in August, thanks to their pathetic network coverage. I stayed on since i carried 2 numbers anyway, and was too lazy to bother.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks