Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2010, 08:33   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
you already have it ticked. Just untick and retick it. Should work.
Tejas, this is:

Place two fingers on trackpad
AND then click the additional button on the track pad (done with the thumb).

This is more laborious as opposed to tapping two fingers straight on the trackpad for a right click.

See: Enable two-finger trackpad taps for 'remote' right-click - Mac OS X Hints

It was a genuine feature early on when I got my Mac...but some !*%#*! software update removed it.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:14   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ah! Just wanted to mention that I ordered my very first Apple product a month ago, still haven't received it. It takes 6-8 weeks to deliver apparently. I hope I can get it by March.

This is what I am getting:
iMac 27-inch
2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
8GB RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
Love the configuration you're getting. BTW, isn't C++ also object oriented C? So, how is Objective C different? Or am i getting it all wrong?
Objective C is an Apple specific language. It might look similar, but very different. I can't get my existing code to compile under Objective C. I have lot of code going back to 90s which are platform independent, it can only compile under a standards based C++ compiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Woah thats a nice machine you have there. If you were going to use it for work wonder why didnt you pick up a Mac Pro. What are you planning to code on it exactly? You starting development for Mac platform?
We are porting some of our products to run on iMac.

Quote:
Congratulations! Welcome to the hassle free world.
Are you sure? Because my experience is turning out to be something else.

The iMac arrived yesterday night. All my techie staff who were present didn't want to leave until they saw the display. So we unboxed it, hooked it up and turned it on. There was a short music, and then nothing, no display, no more sound, just nothing. Few minutes later it loudly says... English! No, nothing on display. One of my engineers actually tried talking back, he says Start! It doesn't care.

Now, this is a totally new animal in our Windows/HP-UX/Linux based company. So none of us knew any Mac tricks. So we left it alone for the certified Apple technician, who promptly came today. At first he thought it was a memory issue, but later he determined it was a main board issue. In other words, my very first Apple product is DOA, Dead On Arrival. I had two choices, sending it back to Singapore for a new piece, which may take one more month, or get it repaired locally using the Apple support. I opted for the latter.

So, this is my iMac.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-_3276279.jpg

Quote:
Don't forget the APP (Apple Protection Plan). EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!
Yup, now I understand why it is extremely important.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:23   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

This motherboard issue is there on many macs (imac and pros). Either you have it or you don't. Atleast 10% of new users get this issue within a few months of usage. Apple does need to address this issue since 10% is quite a high figure.
Old 27th March 2010, 16:01   #214
Team-BHP Support

The local Apple engineer just fixed the problem. He connected an external PC monitor. Then he pulled out every board and cable and connected it back. He could get display on the PC monitor. Then he reverted to the iMac monitor, it worked.

Apparently it was a loose contact. Finally the iMac came to life.

How to checkout this fantastic 27 inch display and awesome power of Core i7 processor? Playing a 1080p MKV file of course. So I connected my USB drive, double clicked on the MKV file, and..... then it hit me. Apple can't play MKV files!!! I googled and confirmed it, Snow Leopard doesn't like MKV and it is very hard to get it to work properly. :-(
Old 27th March 2010, 16:17   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Apple can't play MKV files!!! I googled and confirmed it, Snow Leopard doesn't like MKV and it is very hard to get it to work properly. :-(
@Samurai - Congrats on your purchase. :-)
Regarding playing MKV files, you can download DivX player for OSX that can play 1080p content on your Mac. I have snow leopard installed as well and I can play MKV files (for DTS or AC3 audio, i believe we need to install some audio codecs)

Other players like VLC can play MKV files as well with audio.
Old 27th March 2010, 16:22   #216
Team-BHP Support

Yeeaahh, VLC player plays it!
Old 27th March 2010, 19:59   #217
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Congratulations! Welcome to the hassle free world.
I could've agreed on this prior to switching to Snow Leopard. SL has proved unreliable so far. Safari crashes, Office crashes and few other niggles. OS has hung up too! Leopard was flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
@Samurai - Congrats on your purchase. :-)
Regarding playing MKV files, you can download DivX player for OSX that can play 1080p content on your Mac. I have snow leopard installed as well and I can play MKV files (for DTS or AC3 audio, i believe we need to install some audio codecs)

Other players like VLC can play MKV files as well with audio.
Quote:
Yeeaahh, VLC player plays it!
VLC is good but one of the drawbacks is you can't use basic Mac features like the multi-touch trackpad or the IR remote. So i looked up the net and found Perian. This lets QT play .avi, .mkv and other files; since it's QT, you can watch these movies using Front Row with the convenience of the remote! Perian downloads audio codecs too!
Old 28th March 2010, 07:09   #218
Senior - BHPian

I have a mac Book Air and I really don't know as to how to edit photos.
Assume I have a picture of a car . Can you please advise me on how to blank out the number plates.
I dont have any additional image software and dont intend on getting it also. Can we do something using preview or something which comes along with the mac os by default.
Old 28th March 2010, 20:40   #219
Team-BHP Support

The 27 inch iMac screen makes my 22 inch PC monitor seem like a dwarf. The video quality of the movies an photographs are to kill for.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-_3286290.jpg
Old 29th March 2010, 14:07   #220
BHPian

Quote:
The 27 inch iMac screen makes my 22 inch PC monitor seem like a dwarf. The video quality of the movies an photographs are to kill for.
Another one bites the dust
Old 29th March 2010, 14:55   #221
Team-BHP Support

One look at the Qt license price, I am reconsidering Objective C.

Nokia | Qt Product Licenses - Buy Qt licenses and get started now
Old 29th March 2010, 15:35   #222
Senior - BHPian

where did you got the i7 27 incher.

i am waiting for i5 27 incher for the past 15 days. they are not able to provide this even.

They say they are not getting the stock.

Can any body find out if they are available in their cities. I can buy from there.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:53   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
They say they are not getting the stock.

Can any body find out if they are available in their cities. I can buy from there.
To be accurate, 27 inch model is not destined for India, so you won't find it in stock anywhere. Although I ordered through the Udupi dealer, I had to pay 100% advance directly to the Singapore retailer in US dollars. The delivery happened 40 days later, had to pay 20K customs duty when it finally came.

Frankly I am getting a neck pain trying to look at different parts of the screen. I'll have to reduce the resolution to 1920x1080 and move it far back to save my neck. If you don't really need 27 inch, stick with 21 inch. That's the best size for a desktop machine.

I bought this model purely for the i7 processor, it doesn't come in the 21 inch model.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:53   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
I have a mac Book Air and I really don't know as to how to edit photos.
Assume I have a picture of a car . Can you please advise me on how to blank out the number plates.
I dont have any additional image software and dont intend on getting it also. Can we do something using preview or something which comes along with the mac os by default.
Open the pic in iPhoto, click edit, use the retouch tool to smudge the number plate. Export the pic to desktop (shift + command + E) and attach to teambhp.

Quote:
Why are you running windows on the Mac!!!

Yeah, perian is good and it's free.

Download, iserial reader. It's got all serials for all mac apps.

PS: if you are installing a pirated Photoshop on the mac, then don't! there is a way to do it or it won't activate and then to remove it's traces from the system is a pain. so let me know if you want and "i will guide you in totality".

@sa, i will check if the i5 27" is available in bombay.
Old 29th March 2010, 16:01   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why are you running windows on the Mac!!!
Finally somebody noticed... Well, I can't waste this powerful machine only for one OS. I do lot of work on Windows too, so I installed Windows 7 right away.

Quote:
PS: if you are installing a pirated Photoshop on the mac, then don't! there is a way to do it or it won't activate and then to remove it's traces from the system is a pain. so let me know if you want and "i will guide you in totality".
Well, we don't encourage talking about piracy here. Besides, I already have a legal Photoshop CS4 for Windows. For Mac OS, I am thinking about checking out Aperture 3.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks