Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 13:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
BTW, i wish to know if Macs lose battery while sleeping? a friend of mine told me that he put his macbook (white) to sleep with 10 mins of power remaining and then went to Aussie-land for a week; came back and voila! his macbook wakes up with 10 mins of juice remaining. he claims his macbook has NO power consumption in sleep mode!
i put my Macbook to sleep overnight (12 hours) with 96% power but the next morning, i only had 75% power remaining! (no devices connected, LAN cable and power cable disconnected)
its an Aluminum 13" Macbook (not pro)!
Advice?
From the explaination it looks like what your friend is doing is similar to what is called as "Hibernate" in Windows, see if you have similar option in your Mac.

In this mode It essentially dumps down whatever your memory has onto the hard disk & shuts off, while waking it simply loads the memory from the dump.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:05   #77
BHPian

@Gandhi: Dont forget QuickSilver!!
Old 18th August 2009, 21:01   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I install using a .dmg file (sometimes i have to copy application icon into application folder after installation because, after installation, the app is installed onto some disk (help?) )
and for uninstalling i just drag the application icon into trash!
is there a simpler way?
Drag and keep the Application folder on the right side of the dock, so this will be much easier. Apps that have been installed and never been used (downloaded from the new) have a grey icon with a little red warning circle at the bottom. It goes away the first time you run it.
Old 19th August 2009, 01:11   #79
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
From the explaination it looks like what your friend is doing is similar to what is called as "Hibernate" in Windows, see if you have similar option in your Mac.

In this mode It essentially dumps down whatever your memory has onto the hard disk & shuts off, while waking it simply loads the memory from the dump.
Hey, i believe Macs do hibernate but that happens when your battery is drained completely (when you switch on after connecting power, it loads a little bar). But you are right with the fact that it dumps the memory from your RAM on to your HDD before it goes to 'sleep'. And then after waking up just loads the memory from HDD.
But my question here is should Mac drain battery when sleeping? A friend of mine claims his Mac drains NO power in sleep. Just wanted to confirm if this is true.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:27   #80
BHPian

Quote:
But my question here is should Mac drain battery when sleeping? A friend of mine claims his Mac drains NO power in sleep. Just wanted to confirm if this is true.
I will keep my MBP in sleep mode tonight and confirm if the battery drains or not during 'sleep'.
Old 19th August 2009, 15:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Well If Mac does have separate option for Hibernate then probably your friend is referring to Hibernate as sleep.
Because sleep will consume some power while Hibernate wont.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:07   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Well If Mac does have separate option for Hibernate then probably your friend is referring to Hibernate as sleep.
Because sleep will consume some power while Hibernate wont.
Umm.. i will try and make my words more lucid this time: Mac does NOT have a separate option where u can voluntarily put it to hibernate. It hibernates by itself when the battery charge reduces to 0%.
Voluntarily, u can only make a Mac restart, shut down or 'sleep'. You cant make it hibernate unlike PC. but it does hibernate automatically ONLY if battery is completely drained.
When waking up from sleep, the screen just comes on and there is no waiting period.
When starting after hibernation (power needs to be charged before you can turn it ON again), a little white bar loads and hence there is a small waiting period.

PS: i am unaware if there is a third party application to make a Mac hibernate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post

When you just trash your app file, it doesn't trash some files which the app might have been using. Try an application called AppCleaner. It finds all the related files which an app might be using and trashes them as well.

Here is my list of apps which I can't live without on Mac.

iStat Menus
VLC
Spotlight (Built into OSX) - an amazing tool which finds anything and everything on your file system and does it real quick.
Wallsaver
Adium
Hey i wish to know if there is a way to have iStat display all the values (power, temp, ram, cpu, etc.) but not on the menu bar. I dont like my menu bar cluttered with graphs like those.
I mean can it not b that iStat monitors my Macbook but does not display the values continuously. Instead i open the app whenever i wish to see those values.

Another query,
does the macbook slow down in use as i fill up my HDD? i have experienced this. When my macbook was new, 232 GB free, it used to run very fast with booting up in less than 10 secs.
Now with 170 GB free it takes about 30 secs to boot and shutting down has become slow too.
Should i partition my HDD to save system and data files in separate partitions.
will that help?

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th August 2009 at 17:26.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:21   #83
BHPian

Mac has a hibernate option - though not by default. It is called Deep Sleep/Safe Sleep. You need a widget or some scripting changes to enable it.

See here - Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - Deep Sleep
Old 19th August 2009, 20:37   #84

can anyone suggest a good app to unrar the .rar archives on Mac OS X 10.5.8?
afaik, it has a default app for unzipping .zip but nothing as such for .rar!
Old 19th August 2009, 20:58   #85
Senior - BHPian

check these

Winrar mac free download (Mac)
Old 19th August 2009, 21:04   #86
BHPian

Quote:
can anyone suggest a good app to unrar the .rar archives on Mac OS X 10.5.8?
afaik, it has a default app for unzipping .zip but nothing as such for .rar!
UnRarX. It's free and open source.

Quote:
I mean can it not b that iStat monitors my Macbook but does not display the values continuously. Instead i open the app whenever i wish to see those values.
You need iStatPro.

Quote:
Another query,
does the macbook slow down in use as i fill up my HDD? i have experienced this. When my macbook was new, 232 GB free, it used to run very fast with booting up in less than 10 secs.
Now with 170 GB free it takes about 30 secs to boot and shutting down has become slow too.
I too have noticed this. My apps take longer to load after reboot than before.
Old 19th August 2009, 21:36   #87
Senior - BHPian

if you know where your files are. i mean its well organised. Disable spotlight.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:15   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Mac has a hibernate option - though not by default. It is called Deep Sleep/Safe Sleep. You need a widget or some scripting changes to enable it.

See here - Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - Deep Sleep
Thanks ActionHero for the pointer. That's a nice little widget which does it's job well.

Here I found a blog which explains the sleep mechanisms on Mac. Put your Mac into a Deep Sleep ? wesg
Old 20th August 2009, 10:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I too have noticed this. My apps take longer to load after reboot than before.
Perhaps thats because of the Safe Sleep ? I have noticed that my comphaq boots faster and apps load faster after I disabled Safe sleep and deleted sleepimage file.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:55   #90
Team-BHP Support

What's the difference between sleep and deep sleep?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks