Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 21:36   #181
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Checked with Croma and iStore in Bombay yesterday. Magic mouse not available. iStore had one on display with the new iMac though.
Old 19th January 2010, 00:41   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Just normal usage: browsing, pages, keynote etc.

Occasionally photoshop, dreamweaver, illustrator.

cheers
Actually its a very good mouse, in every aspect I've used it (photoshop and general use, even some gaming) it out-performed my magic mouse in every aspect. The scrolling action is butter smooth plust its got a large area where it can sense your finger (all the way to the apple logo) the battery life was great. And it looked outstanding. So honestly you cannot beat this mouse for the price, there might be some mice with better battery and higher dpi. But for general (not specialized like gaming) use this is the absolute best for a Apple user and I cannot even guess what finger gestures they are going to come up with in the future.
Old 20th January 2010, 20:08   #183
BHPian

tejas you there?
I'm trying to network my Mac (10.6.2) and my windows laptop(XP sp2 or 3)

I'm looking at file sharing, mainly because the printer (windows epson c45) doesn't work with Snow. the driver has been checked and reloaded but of no use. The file is accepted for print and the printer gets active but no printing.

I'm transfer files back and forth over the network. I'm using an airport express to which both computers are hooked up to.

thanks people!
Old 25th January 2010, 16:55   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I know only one simple way which I just tried yesterday. Open the pic in Preview, from the toolbar use select menu. Make your desired selection, now select the number plate section you want to blank out. After selecting the no plate, go to edit in mac window and use cut. Just save the picture and you are done.
This method still does not work .i tried it. There must be a simpler way to cut out the number plates on a mac.
And i was also wondering is the upgrade from leopard to snow leopard really worth the 2000 bucks. Should i go for it.?
Old 1st February 2010, 12:23   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
This method still does not work .i tried it. There must be a simpler way to cut out the number plates on a mac.
That method is ought to work. Make a selection and press delete. If you want to smudge the number, use edit mode in iPhoto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
And i was also wondering is the upgrade from leopard to snow leopard really worth the 2000 bucks. Should i go for it.?
Not really anything different for the end user, unless you're also a developer, you don't mind spending for it or you have software that depends on it. Wait for the next one.
Old 1st February 2010, 16:24   #186
Senior - BHPian

Ok - friend of mine has deleted the Preview and iPhoto apps by mistake. I tried re-installing thru the original dvd's but get an error saying it cannot be installed on this mac.

My friend has also installed iLife 09 (unofficial I guess) - could that be a problem ?

Work arounds ?

It's urgent
Old 1st February 2010, 16:54   #187
BHPian

Dont think the iLife part would be the culprit.
Try repairing your permissions (done through disk manager) & then re-installing.

If all else fails, then the only option is a complete re-install of the OS. But i dont think it should get to that.
Old 1st February 2010, 17:33   #188
BHPian

Hello,
I am looking to buy a new laptop and seriously considering Macbook.(not pro, pro is out of budget.)

Main use of lappy will be web browsing,movies,mild photo editing and normal office use.

Should I go for macbook?

can mac read/write portable HDD which are FAT32/NTFS formatted?
Old 1st February 2010, 18:31   #189
BHPian

Whether to go for a Mac or not is your personal preference. I suggest give one a try, and if you like it, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunaldhami View Post
can mac read/write portable HDD which are FAT32/NTFS formatted?
FAT32 - read & write - yes, straight out of the box.
NTFS - read - yes, straight out of the box.
- write - yes, but you need to download the free NTFS-3G software.
Old 1st February 2010, 20:06   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
Whether to go for a Mac or not is your personal preference. I suggest give one a try, and if you like it, go for it.

FAT32 - read & write - yes, straight out of the box.
NTFS - read - yes, straight out of the box.
- write - yes, but you need to download the free NTFS-3G software.

In a one line summary: If you want a hassle free (read virus free) browse operation, music, video, online transactions etc, I would say go for it!

Its definitely worth the price and runs hassle free for the next 3-5 years easily.

Only caveat : If your wife is addicted to this piece of hardware, you don't get to use it and also you will have to shell the same amount of money (if not more) to replace this in the future !!!!
Old 1st February 2010, 20:53   #191
BHPian

Thank you for your replies. Will decide in a day.

@ampere : I am still single, so no worries on that part
Old 1st February 2010, 21:26   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you for your replies. Will decide in a day.

@ampere : I am still single, so no worries on that part

If you want value for money: Take the basic Macbook (~56K starting). If you want to indulge a bit, go for the 13inch Pro. That would be best. Performance as well as light weight. I am not saying dont buy the higher end ones, if you can afford go ahead. No one is complaining !

An ideal accessory would be the mighty mouse, PLUS USB or Wireless Keyboard and you are good to go ! Personally would prefer the USB keyboard, as its larger. Not sure of the newer designs.

I think you get converters in the box, if you want to connect to a display.

Last edited by ampere : 1st February 2010 at 21:27.
Old 1st February 2010, 22:52   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you want value for money: Take the basic Macbook (~56K starting). If you want to indulge a bit, go for the 13inch Pro. That would be best. Performance as well as light weight. I am not saying dont buy the higher end ones, if you can afford go ahead. No one is complaining !

An ideal accessory would be the mighty mouse, PLUS USB or Wireless Keyboard and you are good to go ! Personally would prefer the USB keyboard, as its larger. Not sure of the newer designs.

I am looking at a basic macbook only. pros are way too expensive for me. and I like 13" the most.
Old 2nd February 2010, 00:17   #194
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at a basic macbook only. pros are way too expensive for me. and I like 13" the most.
Go for a basic macbook! Once you get to use a mac, there is no looking back :-)
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:18   #195
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

For my 13" Aluminum, i bought a MiniDisplay to VGA converter separately for Rs. 1800 or so. The wireless keyboard is very sexy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks