Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2015, 10:54   #1681
Team-BHP Support

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I just upgraded to Yosemite and the upgrade went smooth without any issues. I however notice that the trackpad has turned a bit clunky, especially the Mission Control has become less responsive. Did anyone experience the same? I have a early 2011 Mac Book Pro!
Nope, no issues for me either.

Although my Mac boots up much slower than earlier. Before 10.10.2, once I hit the power button, it took only a couple of seconds for the Apple logo to appear. Since then, it takes almost thrice the time; once the Apple logo appears, it is just as fast though.
Old 11th July 2015, 10:44   #1682
BHPian

Anyone rocking the El Capitan and iOS 9 betas ? El Capitan seems ready for launch, haven't encountered a bug yet. Running it on a 15" pro and a 11" air. iOS 9 on the other hand is a mess, the new music app has really taken a hit (despite being near faultless on 8.4). Overall the small changes are great, when they are all ironed out this will make for a quality update.
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:56   #1683
BHPian

I agree, I just downgraded from IOS 9, loads of bugs. Downloading EL captain now
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:30   #1684
BHPian

I am running El Capitan beta on my Mid-2010 MacBook Pro 17". I have uninstalled Flash on my machines, and YouTube gives me a Flash missing error. It does not default to HTML5 at all - I have to change the User Agent to iPad to get YouTube videos to play.

I don't have this problem on my other Macs running Yosemite or Snow Leopard - YouTube defaults to HTML5 in those machines with no problem. I don't have Flash on those machines either.

Other than that one issue, I have not see any other issues with El Capitan. In fact my MBPro boots a little quicker and apps load with fewer bounces on the Dock.

Cheers
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:08   #1685
BHPian

Let me check this on my Air

Yes I've heard the over all speed increases with EL
Old 3rd September 2015, 00:42   #1686
BHPian

Thoughts on the 9th event ? A new Apple TV ? A new streaming service ? A new pro spec iPad 12"-15" ? The 6S seems a given.
Old 13th September 2015, 05:51   #1687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Anyone rocking the El Capitan and iOS 9 betas ? El Capitan seems ready for launch, haven't encountered a bug yet. Running it on a 15" pro and a 11" air. iOS 9 on the other hand is a mess, the new music app has really taken a hit (despite being near faultless on 8.4). Overall the small changes are great, when they are all ironed out this will make for a quality update.
Upgraded the GM of El Capitan. Under the hood changes are quite massive. Unfortunately my imac doesn't support Metal, but 2012+ newer ones will benefit from that as well. Boot time has reduced significantly. 15-20 seconds has reduced to 10-15 secs. This is with my DIY fusion drive (256 ssd + 512 hdd).

iOS 9 on the other hand is mixed. Music as you mentioned is a bit mess, but there have been improvements that have ironed out most bugs.
Old 16th September 2015, 12:33   #1688
Team-BHP Support

El Capitan GM was a nightmare for me, while it installs well, used to create issues at hang ups. Only a OS restore works then. Finally did digging around and found that it was the unsupported kext files that were causing the issue.

Finally got it resolved by following

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/18100

Quote:
Max108
Quote:
Sep 15, 2015 6:27 PM(in response to LarryMBP)
Hmmm... your actually pretty clear of 3rd party kernel extensions and none of those that are there have I established as causes yet. Have you installed any software in the last week because the command above wouldn't detect those. If you're not sure, then please post the output of:

cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" ; find System/Library/Extensions -ctime +1d -depth 2

Otherwise, the following block of commands will move those 3rd party kexts that we've seen so far to a new folder in each Library called "Unsupported" - a safe location where they can't cause harm, but can be reinstated if needed. Use the same method of copying to the Terminal as for the earlier command. It will also reboot your Mac, which may take a little longer than normal first time, so that you're aware.

cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions/" ; mkdir Unsupported ; mv EPSON*.kext Unsupported ; cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions/" ; mkdir Unsupported ; mv BJUSB* Unsupported ; mv hp_* Unsupported ; rm -Rf /Volumes/LR-2011\ HD/var/folders/* ; reboot
Replace Macintosh HD with your HDD or SDD name while using the above ^ commands, the second one is what you need.

Now it seems to work fine, hope Apple fixes this for final release or they will have lot of very unhappy users!! As for me, i think i will definitely do a fresh install once the public release is out.

iOS 9 on the other hand seems to be running fine, some of the contextual short cuts are quite useful.
Old 1st October 2015, 11:28   #1689
BHPian

Has anyone installed the officially released El Capitan? I am downloading the installer, but I am just a month old Mac user, so should I risk the upgrade or just wait for sometime for it to stabilise?

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 1st October 2015, 11:38   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Has anyone installed the officially released El Capitan? I am downloading the installer, but I am just a month old Mac user, so should I risk the upgrade or just wait for sometime for it to stabilise?

Cheers,
Ardy
I have been on ElCap from the initial beta to the GM and am right now installing the official release on my 2010 MBPro 17". I have had no issues of any kind even from the initial betas.

On my daily-driver iMac 27" I am still running Yosemite, but I shall install ElCap in a couple of hours. That machine is a 2014 model and I don't expect any issues.

Cheers
Old 1st October 2015, 12:26   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I have been on ElCap from the initial beta to the GM and am right now installing the official release on my 2010 MBPro 17". I have had no issues of any kind even from the initial betas.

On my daily-driver iMac 27" I am still running Yosemite, but I shall install ElCap in a couple of hours. That machine is a 2014 model and I don't expect any issues.

Cheers
Thanks, tilt.

Am downloading the installer at the moment. Will go ahead with the install.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 1st October 2015, 13:29   #1692
BHPian

I started having problems with my Mac Book Pro's fan. It would run vehemently for no reason. I then realised that it may be time for replacement and I went ahead and replaced it yesterday. It was pretty smooth but had to do it a little bit carefully unlike replacing the HDD or RAM. If anyone looking for some guidance, here it is:

https://de.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+...placement/5145
Old 1st October 2015, 15:01   #1693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I started having problems with my Mac Book Pro's fan. It would run vehemently for no reason. I then realised that it may be time for replacement and I went ahead and replaced it yesterday. It was pretty smooth but had to do it a little bit carefully unlike replacing the HDD or RAM. If anyone looking for some guidance, here it is:

https://de.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+...placement/5145
Did you try to reset your laptop before changing the fan? The procedure to reset the laptop is given in the manual and it requires disconnecting the battery. Also, the fan is controlled by motherboard, so I am a little confused that how changing the fan would have solved the problem. Was the issue resolved?
Old 1st October 2015, 15:24   #1694
Team-BHP Support

Definitely way more smoother than Yosemite. I can feel the slickness of the OS for sure. And with solid state the performance is even better!

But yes, need to give it some time to check for any issues.
Old 1st October 2015, 16:08   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Did you try to reset your laptop before changing the fan? The procedure to reset the laptop is given in the manual and it requires disconnecting the battery. Also, the fan is controlled by motherboard, so I am a little confused that how changing the fan would have solved the problem. Was the issue resolved?
Yes for sure! When I use my machine at work, with all the tools that I need, the new fan is absolutely silent when it radiates the heat away. The old fan on the other hand would just run with a loud noise which is something like when a Jen engine starts up!

I did not know about the reset! What I also noticed while I replaced the fan is a think layer of dust close to where the fan exhausts heat to the outside. The heat sink was fully covered with roughly 1cm thick dust! It could also be a reason why my old fan had to work so hard!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks