Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 11:34   #1651
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Has anyone swapped their existing glossy screens on a pre-retina MacBook Pro for the high resolution anti glare option ?

Also, has anyone had the rubber shoes on their MacBooks come off ?
Well, my 2010 17: MBPro came with the matte-screen, so I am afraid I am no he;lp re. your first question.

Re. your second question, however, yes, I had all four feet come off one after another. The price of replacing them was $40 per set (Canadian) and so I decided not to do so, and to use my MBPro without the feet.

Cheers
Old 17th June 2015, 13:24   #1652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Well, my 2010 17: MBPro came with the matte-screen, so I am afraid I am no he;lp re. your first question.

Re. your second question, however, yes, I had all four feet come off one after another. The price of replacing them was $40 per set (Canadian) and so I decided not to do so, and to use my MBPro without the feet.

Cheers

No concerns about dirt/dust entering ?

I recently decided to give my 15" a new lease of life. The battery has swollen. So I had the lower half of the unibody case replaced along with the battery. Strangely they don't change the bottom plate - presumably because of the serial number being etched on to it.

Upgraded to 16 gb of ram from 4. Swapped the 750gb hdd for a 500gb ssd. It's incredibly fast now. Definitely faster than both my iMac and MacBook Air. Datalogics chennai is getting me a quote for the anti glare screen.

I think I'll buy a bottom plate off eBay.
Old 17th June 2015, 19:35   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Has anyone here used a macbook air for running development IDE's ?
Does it have enough punch to work with IDEs such as Eclipse ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
My recommendation is to pick the Macbook Pro 13 with Retina Display.
The 4GB RAM will be restrictive if you plan to launch VMs.
I concur, I use both X-Code & Android-Studio on my Mid-2012 13" i5 MacBook Pro.
The machine originally came with 4 GB of RAM, but it was too restrictive for launching multiple or even reasonably sized AVDs.
Just last week upgraded to 8 GB, but already thinking of a further upgrade to 16 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I successfully upgraded my RAM to 16 GB from 4 GB !
Quote:
Upgraded to 16 gb of ram from 4.
Requesting you folks to let me know which specific RAM type you got ( 1.5 V or 1.35 V ) & from which manufacturer.
I have a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro & Apple's support web-site specifically mentions that only 8 GB is supported.
I understand from the InterWebs that a lot of people have had success in upgrading to 16 GB, but that the venture is dependent on the RAM's manufacturer & type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
After years of being Whacked (by Windows ), recently got Macked (Mac OS) with the new Mac Book Pro, what a difference, blown away
I do not wish to start another Mac-Vs-PC debate here, but my experience has been contrary - other than the slick interface, I found very little to be blown away.

And what's with the "Magic" mouse ? Just got one & for a mouse costing almost 6K, it's really disappointing
To start with, the mouse is simply too heavy, Apple should've just designed it for a single AAA battery instead of two AA batteries.
The only thing this mouse is good for is for posing on your desktop, you almost forgive it just for the way it looks
Old 17th June 2015, 20:15   #1654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I do not wish to start another Mac-Vs-PC debate here, but my experience has been contrary - other than the slick interface, I found very little to be blown away.
The only reason I like to be on the MAC side is because of its out of the box functionality and the fact that its built on Unix (BSD). Maybe Windows has taken good strides ahead on security, but being on the basic Unix kernel also gives me the shell which I can use the way I need it. I do use Ubuntu at home as well, but the fact I can buy legal software (like Lightroom) makes me swing towards Apple.

UI part : Yes its subjective as to who likes what.

Quote:
And what's with the "Magic" mouse ? Just got one & for a mouse costing almost 6K, it's really disappointing
To start with, the mouse is simply too heavy, Apple should've just designed it for a single AAA battery instead of two AA batteries.
The only thing this mouse is good for is for posing on your desktop, you almost forgive it just for the way it looks
+1 ! I think the Apple accessories are way too expensive. Thats why I dont use them. I have the basic Logitech key board and mouse! (In fact I am typing this very post with the same keyboard working on Mac!)

Last edited by ampere : 17th June 2015 at 20:53.
Old 17th June 2015, 20:24   #1655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are not alone, check my experience 5 years back.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th June 2015 at 20:34.
Old 17th June 2015, 20:29   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
The reason for me using Mac is:
  • Essentially its OpenBSD with a slick wrapper.
  • Hardware compatibility (printers, keyboards et. al.)
  • Availability of Microsoft Office (this is a biggie if you use it as a primary machine at your work place)
  • Lots of server side OpenSource projects lack support for Windows (atleast when they begin)
  • I absolutely love the build quality of their laptop line.
  • It's not Windows

The other OS I use regularly is Ubuntu.
Old 18th June 2015, 09:48   #1657
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With the new Force Touch Trackpad, you will mostly not need to use a mouse! It's awesome and supports multi touch gestures.
I haven't bought any accessories so far, using an old Dell BT mouse that works like a charm
Old 18th June 2015, 10:14   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That is the exact same reason why I got myself the magic trackpad as the first accessory for my iMac. The mouse is mostly used by my mom.

Also initially I was disappointed with the lack of pg up/ pg dn keys but after finding a few shortcuts like fn+ up, fn+ down for pg up/dn and fn+left/right for home/end made life a bit easy.
Old 18th June 2015, 10:33   #1659
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Also initially I was disappointed with the lack of pg up/ pg dn keys but after finding a few shortcuts like fn+ up, fn+ down for pg up/dn and fn+left/right for home/end made life a bit easy.
If your Magic trackpad supports multi touch gestures (like the in built Force Touch trackpad on the new mac books) you can use 2 finger swipe up and down almost like how you use single finger swipe up and down on a mobile/tablet for scrolling, this will be more intuitive than pg up/pg down.
Old 18th June 2015, 11:56   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your Magic trackpad supports multi touch gestures (like the in built Force Touch trackpad on the new mac books) you can use 2 finger swipe up and down almost like how you use single finger swipe up and down on a mobile/tablet for scrolling, this will be more intuitive than pg up/pg down.
Yeah. The trackpad supports 10 finger multi touch. It's just that I prefer using keyboard shortcuts more.
Old 18th June 2015, 13:20   #1661
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
It's just that I prefer using keyboard shortcuts more.
Do you use Quicksilver ? If not, do give it a shot, you'll love it.
Old 18th June 2015, 13:59   #1662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you use Quicksilver ? If not, do give it a shot, you'll love it.
I have heard only good things about it. I'll download it first thing when I reach home.
Old 27th June 2015, 01:16   #1663
Team-BHP Support

I want to give an old Mac mini new lease of life by replacing the hard drive with a SSD drive.

It is a Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.53 (Late 2009) Model ID: Macmini3,1

I am looking for a 250GB SSD drive. How do I find the compatible SSD drive in Indian online stores?
Old 27th June 2015, 02:20   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I want to give an old Mac mini new lease of life by replacing the hard drive with a SSD drive.

It is a Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.53 (Late 2009) Model ID: Macmini3,1

I am looking for a 250GB SSD drive. How do I find the compatible SSD drive in Indian online stores?

Any 2.5" SATA II SSD will work fine.
Old 27th June 2015, 09:26   #1665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Quote:
Any 2.5" SATA II SSD will work fine.
The latest Gen-3 (6 Gbps serial link rate) based SSD will also work. It goes backward compatible to what rate the interface will demand.

Just yesterday I updated my Early 2008 Macbook with an SSD. I bought the latest Gen SATA SSD part. Works flawlessly.

PS: In fact even I am curious to update my own Mac mini (2011) with an SSD too. You just need make sure you have buy a same capacity disk or higher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks