Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:41   #1531
Senior - BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

I did the Yosemite upgrade recently to realise that the EOS utility software of my Canon is not working :-( However, I found a way round the problem and now it works fine. I don't know why Canon is playing hide and seek with Yosemite.
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:02   #1532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I did the Yosemite upgrade recently to realise that the EOS utility software of my Canon is not working :-( However, I found a way round the problem and now it works fine. I don't know why Canon is playing hide and seek with Yosemite.
It works. Update to the latest EOS Utility. 2.10.X. I faced the same problem. Updated to the latest and it works. (I am on Yosemite)
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:05   #1533
Senior - BHPian

It doesn't work if you tell Canon that you are using Yosemite. Then it says there is no update for you. You have to trick it by saying you are on Maverick. I am quite baffled by this.
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:19   #1534
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It doesn't work if you tell Canon that you are using Yosemite. Then it says there is no update for you. You have to trick it by saying you are on Maverick. I am quite baffled by this.
Yes thats true. I think they have not updated the site. They will eventually rectify the error.
Old 3rd November 2014, 21:36   #1535
akp
BHPian

Quote:
You have to trick it by saying you are on Maverick.
And how do you do that?
Old 3rd November 2014, 21:50   #1536
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
And how do you do that?
As he mentioned, say your OS is Mavericks and Canon site points to latest version of EOS utility. You download that and install. This version works for Yosemite.
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:08   #1537
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As he mentioned, say your OS is Mavericks and Canon site points to latest version of EOS utility. You download that and install. This version works for Yosemite.
Thanks.

Are there no `thanks' buttons on `Shifting Gears' threads?
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:25   #1538
Senior - BHPian

In fact the Canon site can detect that you are on Yosemite. Manually change it to Mavericks. Incidentally, the "EOS Utility" upgrade is available under "software" and not under "utility" !!! This took me quite a few attempts and forum questions/answers to work out.
Old 4th November 2014, 12:57   #1539
BHPian

After installing Yosemite, I was a happy camper till I tried to use my Micromax USB dongle (which has a Tata Photon SIM card).

It starts to dial and then the connection gets terminated. I used the same device on another MAC with Yosemite and faced the same issue. I tried a Tata Photon dongle and immediately, deja vu.

I am able to connect to the internet using Wifi Tethering from my phone, without any issues.

I did a search and seems to be a common issue with Yosemite. Some forums do talk about ways to get Huawei modems working, but nothing much for the other dongles. Most seem to ask us to wait for an update from our service provider (in this case: Micromax/Tata Photon).
Old 5th November 2014, 06:30   #1540
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I'm posting on behalf of a good friend who also happens to be an Ubuntu user. Now his work demands that he uses MS Office and particularly Outlook. He also uses Android & Blackberry phones.

-------
Going by his requirements I felt that he could do with a Mac. The question is "Which one"? He does not have a fixed budget but would not like to spend too much on features that he doesn't need. Next is where to buy it. He travels to the US at least twice a year.
Thanks for all the information guys. My friend picked up the MBP 13" from the US.
Old 5th November 2014, 10:01   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
I did a search and seems to be a common issue with Yosemite..
After I upgraded to Yosemite, the Tata photon + program refused to start on my Macbook Air saying that an old version of Java run time was needed. Fortunately, the dialog box had a link to download and install the required version. I had to share the internet from another device and download the installer(~60 Mb). Photon is working fine now after the install.
Old 20th November 2014, 23:01   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Need serious help with my wifi network selection icon. If I take my mouse over my wifi icon, it shows all the available networks in the neighbourhood with various names given by the users of those networks (personally I don't even know how to change the name of my own network and use the default one).

Now of late I find some joker in the neighbourhood is using an obnoxious name for his network - a very taboo gutter language phrase in Hindi. I don't want my ten year old daughter to see such a phrase and ask me what it means.

Can someone please tell me how to delete it from my list of available networks? I tried to enter the network and it asked for password, which I didn't have. But I found the network went offline almost immediately.
Old 21st November 2014, 01:33   #1543
BHPian

I too finally took the plunge and upgraded to Yosemite. The process was very smooth. Thank fully I have not faced issues with any of the apps that I use till now.

I have to admit, I dont like the new look of the Finder etc. I preferred the previous look. Rest all seems to be okay.

Regards
Rachit
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:17   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Need serious help with my wifi network selection icon. If I take my mouse over my wifi icon, it shows all the available networks in the neighbourhood with various names given by the users of those networks (personally I don't even know how to change the name of my own network and use the default one).

Now of late I find some joker in the neighbourhood is using an obnoxious name for his network - a very taboo gutter language phrase in Hindi. I don't want my ten year old daughter to see such a phrase and ask me what it means.

Can someone please tell me how to delete it from my list of available networks? I tried to enter the network and it asked for password, which I didn't have. But I found the network went offline almost immediately.
I don't think this is possible. :(

In any case, all internet activity of kids should be completely under adult supervision. So we just have to deal with this problem the way we would deal with an adult TV program. There are a couple of routers in my community as well with "strange" SSIDs.

In case there is some solution (technical) available, please do let me know as well. Forget kids, even I don't want to see such SSIDs on my device.
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:24   #1545
BHPian

Is there any way to do remote desktop to a windows machine in the same network from Mac book? Something like "Remote Desktop" in windows.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks