Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 14:36   #1471
BANNED

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Just heard that there was some offer from July 1st to July 22nd wher there was 20K off on the MBP and 17K off on the MBA. Any idea if any dealers are still offering the deal. At this price I am thinking, even I can go in for a MBA while my friend gets the MBP.

Also heard that there are grey imports available in Mumbai at very good prices. Is is safe to buy these?

Last edited by Live To Jive : 30th July 2014 at 14:38.
Old 8th August 2014, 10:12   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Just heard that there was some offer from July 1st to July 22nd wher there was 20K off on the MBP and 17K off on the MBA. Any idea if any dealers are still offering the deal. At this price I am thinking, even I can go in for a MBA while my friend gets the MBP.

Also heard that there are grey imports available in Mumbai at very good prices. Is is safe to buy these?
That's the old gen MBP, a new model is due soon. Go for the Air, I'm planning to buy the same. Costs ~56k on Amazon/Snapdeal, the model number is MH760HN/B. Don't go for /A.

About the gray imports in Mumbai, where are you getting it and at what price? I'd like to consider all the options before going in for one.
Old 8th August 2014, 13:41   #1473
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
That's the old gen MBP, a new model is due soon.
Are you referring to the old Non-Retina model or is there a newer Retina model coming up?

Quote:
Go for the Air, I'm planning to buy the same. Costs ~56k on Amazon/Snapdeal, the model number is MH760HN/B. Don't go for /A.
Actually my friend is picking up the Macs. A Pro for himself and an Air for is wife. He has shortlisted the followinhg
1. MD711HN/B 128GB SSD & 4GB RAM.
2. MD865HN/A 256GB SSD & 8GB RAM.

Quote:
About the gray imports in Mumbai, where are you getting it and at what price? I'd like to consider all the options before going in for one.
There is a dealer in Goa who gets it from Mumbai. Will check and let you know.
Old 9th August 2014, 22:24   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Are you referring to the old Non-Retina model or is there a newer Retina model coming up?

Actually my friend is picking up the Macs. A Pro for himself and an Air for is wife. He has shortlisted the followinhg
1. MD711HN/B 128GB SSD & 4GB RAM.
2. MD865HN/A 256GB SSD & 8GB RAM.

There is a dealer in Goa who gets it from Mumbai. Will check and let you know.
No, I was talking about the non-retina one. The retina one has been updated last week (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro). Regarding the MD711, why not go for the MD760HN/B? Same specs with a 13" screen, and also has a better battery life. Available on Amazon for 56k.

Last edited by prateekm : 9th August 2014 at 22:27.
Old 15th August 2014, 18:19   #1475
BANNED

Quote:
Regarding the MD711, why not go for the MD760HN/B? Same specs with a 13" screen, and also has a better battery life.
Yes the 13" model does make more sense.

Quote:
Available on Amazon for 56k.
How safe if Amazon for Macs? Anyone here picked up from Amazon?
Old 15th August 2014, 19:19   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the 13" model does make more sense.

I took the leap last week. However, made the mistake of not opting for one-day delivery, thinking that Amazon delivery is fast. They took 3 days just to ship it (Amazon fulfilled btw), and are now delivering on Saturday to my office (which is closed on weekends), so I'll get it only on Monday.
Old 16th August 2014, 03:56   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
I picked mine up form my Amazon a few months back. I opted for next day delivery and the Macbook was delivered to my office by 4 PM the next day.

PS: I have moved quite a few of my electronic purchases online (DSLRs and accessories, mobiles and so on) and have not faced any issues with regards to them so far.
Old 16th August 2014, 10:23   #1478
BANNED

Quote:
I took the leap last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
have not faced any issues with regards to them so far.
I guess I'll recomend Amazon to my friend then. The prices are lower than other retailers.
Old 16th August 2014, 17:06   #1479
BHPian

Installed Yosemite on my MBP a few days ago, along with my brother. Apple has made great changes to OS X to get me start using it again, instead of my Win 8.1 partition. The whole OS has now gotten a flatter look, much like the transition of iOS 6 to iOS 7. The new iTunes looks awesome although it is quite buggy (trade off because of installing early) Safari is much faster with occasional lag seen while closing it. By far the most disappointing thing was the Mail app. It is UNCHANGED, meaning that you still have to setup you Outlook account through the manual method. While reading an e-mail it shows the entire mails sent by the sender, one word for that, ANNOYING.
Still pretty pleased with the OS, here are some screenshots for you to enjoy!
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20140816-4.59.05-pm.png

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20140816-4.59.23-pm.png

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20140816-4.59.27-pm.png

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20140816-5.00.01-pm.png
Old 20th August 2014, 11:55   #1480
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am planning to buy a new laptop as my older one ('09 Dell Studio) seems on its final leg. My usage is -

- MS Office apps
- Adobe LR
- Video processing - Windows Movie Maker and GoPro studio (occasional)
- Emails/Surfing
- Movies/Music

Will an Air suffice for my needs? Any particular model nos.? I started with 40k in hand and now am staring at 60k+ expense. On the fence right now, not sure which way to jump?
Old 20th August 2014, 13:01   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Hey Guys,

I am planning to buy a new laptop as my older one ('09 Dell Studio) seems on its final leg. My usage is -

- MS Office apps
- Adobe LR
- Emails/Surfing
- Movies/Music

Will an Air suffice for my needs? Any particular model nos.? I started with 40k in hand and now am staring at 60k+ expense. On the fence right now, not sure which way to jump?
Yes, an Air should suffice. I have a similar usage pattern (browsing + photoshop + movies), so needed a portable laptop with a good battery life. Check out the MD760HN/B model, has a 13" screen, 1.4GHz (turbo boost upto 2.7GHz). Should cost you ~56k on Amazon/FK/Snapdeal (depending on the schemes available on the sites). Gives a battery life of 11-12 hours. If you need something more portable, go for the 11" version which costs 51-52k but gives a lesser battery backup of around 10 hours.
Old 20th August 2014, 13:24   #1482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, an Air should suffice. I have a similar usage pattern (browsing + photoshop + movies), so needed a portable laptop with a good battery life. Check out the MD760HN/B model, has a 13" screen, 1.4GHz (turbo boost upto 2.7GHz). Should cost you ~56k on Amazon/FK/Snapdeal (depending on the schemes available on the sites). Gives a battery life of 11-12 hours. If you need something more portable, go for the 11" version which costs 51-52k but gives a lesser battery backup of around 10 hours.
Thanks for the lead, even I am thinking about a 13" one. 11 would be too small for a laptop I guess. What about the warranty when buying online? Does Apple honor the warranties?
Old 20th August 2014, 13:39   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the lead, even I am thinking about a 13" one. 11 would be too small for a laptop I guess. What about the warranty when buying online? Does Apple honor the warranties?
Yes, see the reputation of the seller before buying the Macbook. Flipkart themselves sell it through WS-Retail, so I doubt there'd be any problems wrt warranty. I know someone who has purchased his Macbook online and when claiming warranty for some defect, it was honoured.
Old 20th August 2014, 13:43   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

- MS Office apps
- Adobe LR
- Emails/Surfing
- Movies/Music

You can also go in for the mac book pro non retina. This will help you store more stuff (500gbs) and give you an option of using your CD's and DVD's. I have 2 pro's and can safely say "once you go mac, you never go back"
Old 20th August 2014, 15:03   #1485
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Can anyone suggest good photo editing software for mac. iPhoto does not cater to all the needs. And the edited pics from iPhoto are stored in its libraries and can not be accessed from finder. And can't we directly edit the photos as we do in windows rather than importing it to libraries and making copies of images.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks