Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2009, 18:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I don't know if Leopard is going improve anything from my current OS. So I suppose I'll stick to this one only for the time being. In terms of operation I don't have any issue right now.
I believe the changes in Snow Leopard are incremental and more oriented towards performance. You can probably wait until Apple launches macs with OLED screens!
Old 15th August 2009, 19:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
We have few MACs in our office. Very few uses them but use Windows since:
1. Not many applications on MAC. Eg, no GTalk on MAC
2. They don't like to browse net thru' Safari. Nor they Firefox on MAC.
When was the last time you used a Mac? Doesn't seem to be too recent from your post. Just google and you would come to know. Let's not make this thread a war between Mac and Windows by giving wrong facts. Some applications on Mac are much better than those on Windows. Microsoft Office for Mac is much better packaged than Office on Windows. You have to use it to feel it.

Adium is a very very good IM client and I never missed Gtalk or Y! Messenger or anything else. You can use Adium for any protocol that you can think of that exist on this world.

As far as both the OS are concerned, different people have different requirements. My work is such that I don't have to use any Microsoft products so I use Mac and Linux for everything and anything that I do. Whereas for my wife, she has a lot of dependencies on Windows so I have WinXP running in a VMware virtual machine for her.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Adium is a very very good IM client and I never missed Gtalk or Y! Messenger or anything else.
Adium is good,but its 3rd party software. iChat is available natively with OS X and supports Google Talk.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:52   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Adium is good,but its 3rd party software. iChat is available natively with OS X and supports Google Talk.
Agree, but I use Adium for all my chatting needs (Gtalk, Yahoo, MSN, Jabber, Sametime, Twitter, Facebook). I don't have any issues with Adium being a third party app as it is open source, free and specifically designed for Mac.

iChat supports only Gtalk (as Gtalk uses Jabber protocol) and Jabber. And moreover, I have not used iChat at all, so don't really know what are the features offered. Adium has loads of features and lot of plug-ins, add-ons (like FireFox) are available as well.
Old 17th August 2009, 17:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
... Let's not make this thread a war between Mac and Windows by giving wrong facts...
As far as both the OS are concerned, different people have different requirements. My work is such that I don't have to use any Microsoft products so I use Mac and Linux for everything and anything that I do. Whereas for my wife, she has a lot of dependencies on Windows so I have WinXP running in a VMware virtual machine for her.
I truly agree with Gandhi, we'll loose the mark if we go on this tangent.. the idea is for Bhpians to comment on the Mac. 'so be it'
And like Gandhi said - our use will be driven by what we require, even in my case I don't need any program outside the Mac but my house has an XP machine for those who need MS. and that is to THINK Different! lol

Last edited by johnda : 17th August 2009 at 17:20.
Old 17th August 2009, 17:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Best of both worlds.
This thread encouraged me to start the following weekend fiddle.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...10-5-5-pc.html
Old 17th August 2009, 21:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

Exactly, if I just sit and rebute what all has been said then we would just be going around in circles. If you believe in something I guess you should stick to it. So keeping calm I choose to forget some of the earlier posts so we can carry on to some beneficial discussion. I see that many people dont know about really good Apps Mac's which are quite a bit better then their counterparts.

I would suggest people who are new to Mac download the following applications.

1. Adium ( All in one IM)
2. VLC Player ( Wonderful media player which can use the IR Remote as well)
3. uTorrent
4. InsomniaX (For MacBook/Pro users)
5. Picasa for Mac

And loads loads more, ask for anything and I would suggest a app for you. I am quite sure there are many I havent heard off either. You guys can list your top 5 apps here as well.

I really would love to show some of the windows people how easy its to install and uninstall a APP on a Mac I am sure quite a few would be amazed.
Old 17th August 2009, 21:43   #68
BANNED

I have seen Macs at TIFR at what was once Bombay. They were running Debian Gnu/Linux.

Opened the case, and had a look at the "internals"; and was frankly shocked. The contrast (with typical wintel aka IBM/PC clones) was stark - No reams of wire / connectors and all the cruft was conspicuous by its absence. And to get to the bios set up menu, you had to hold down the "m"key, (m as in menu); how sweet and useful, instead of the "delete".

If only the hardware was a bit inexpensive than it is now...
Old 17th August 2009, 22:12   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I really would love to show some of the windows people how easy its to install and uninstall a APP on a Mac I am sure quite a few would be amazed.
I have installed .dmg file on MAC & .exe file on Windows. Both we were equally easy. Same with uninstall.
Old 18th August 2009, 02:05   #70
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:

1. Adium ( All in one IM)
2. VLC Player ( Wonderful media player which can use the IR Remote as well)
3. uTorrent
5. Picasa for Mac

And loads loads more, ask for anything and I would suggest a app for you. I am quite sure there are many I havent heard off either. You guys can list your top 5 apps here as well.

Isnt Transmission better than uTorrent?
VLC is a must have on any machine!
why Picasa? i dont think there is anything wrong with iPhoto except for the fact that it saves two copies! Plus, u can directly upload to facebook or flicker from iPhoto!
from what i have heard, InsomniaX harms 'macbook' because ur notebook will be awake even if u close the lid (going against macbook norms of the notebook going off to sleep once u shut the lid) and that will cause heating and screen damage! haven't tried it though

BTW, i wish to know if Macs lose battery while sleeping? a friend of mine told me that he put his macbook (white) to sleep with 10 mins of power remaining and then went to Aussie-land for a week; came back and voila! his macbook wakes up with 10 mins of juice remaining. he claims his macbook has NO power consumption in sleep mode!
i put my Macbook to sleep overnight (12 hours) with 96% power but the next morning, i only had 75% power remaining! (no devices connected, LAN cable and power cable disconnected)
its an Aluminum 13" Macbook (not pro)!
Advice?
Old 18th August 2009, 02:08   #71
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
I install using a .dmg file (sometimes i have to copy application icon into application folder after installation because, after installation, the app is installed onto some disk (help?) )
and for uninstalling i just drag the application icon into trash!
is there a simpler way?
Old 18th August 2009, 04:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I have installed .dmg file on MAC & .exe file on Windows. Both we were equally easy. Same with uninstall.
Diabloo, its true that both installs are easy. Its not the intelligence or speed required, but what Quickdraw is highlighting is the 'straightforward' and 'one step' process that the Mac install is.
The .dmg mounts and you just drag the installer into your App folder and to uninstall you drag to the trash!
Now that's unlike what I did for years and personally I was more happy and amazed.

Last edited by johnda : 18th August 2009 at 04:54.
Old 18th August 2009, 06:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree, but I use Adium for all my chatting needs
ditto here.. Was just pointing out that ichat does exist

Some other programs I have found useful installed on my comHaq:

* Growl - for visual and sound notifications.
* Google Earth.
* Firefox - Just in case I am bored of Safari.
* NeoOffice - An Open Office version customized for OS X.
* Xcode - if you want to start off iPhone dev
* camtwist - to make my built in webcam work !
* Audacity - Sound editing tool
* Seashore - for image editing (Gimp has more features, but it required X11).
* Various dashboard widgets - for weather, broadband download meter,stock market data, even a Homer Simpson quote widget.
Old 18th August 2009, 07:59   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I believe the changes in Snow Leopard are incremental and more oriented towards performance.
Must be. But then it's a question of changing my machine also. My work is essentially on Photoshop and Illustrator. Often I go back to my old vector software (My G5 has Classic mode to run older applications) Freehand to do few things I find easier than doing on Illustrator. In terms of work I don't see any issue with my home machine comparing with my office machine (Mac Pro). Huge files (say 150mb) behave better on my home machine. That also could be because of RAM support I have at home. It would be foolish to push out my home machine (just two years old) now for a new one.
Quote:
You can probably wait until Apple launches macs with OLED screens!
Sure thing. But my current 30inch display is extremely accurate in terms of colour. I'm yet to see any colour shift from screen to CMYK print.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:10   #75
BHPian

Quote:

3. uTorrent
I would suggest you to try Transmission. It's a very very light weight app with simplistic UI and all the features of any other torrent client. Give it a try.

Quote:
If the only reason to use this app is to make your Mac not go to sleep, then I would suggest this small little app Caffeine, which does the job fine.

Quote:
When you just trash your app file, it doesn't trash some files which the app might have been using. Try an application called AppCleaner. It finds all the related files which an app might be using and trashes them as well.

Here is my list of apps which I can't live without on Mac.

iStat Menus
VLC
Spotlight (Built into OSX) - an amazing tool which finds anything and everything on your file system and does it real quick.
Wallsaver
Adium

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks