Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 13:17   #811
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Yes, of course. I half expected them to announce new ones yesterday.
Probably ship the new ones with Lion - end summer.
I have also started reading the news/rumours on the internet regularly.
I am also assuming that the new ones might come with Mountain Lion.

I read somewhere that Apple has fixed June 11 to June 15 as the dates for there annual WWDC event. This might be where they launch the new Macbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
Dude, where do you plan to get it from? You could score a great deal on the outgoing models which should be phase out within a month given that Intel has announced the Ivy Bridge processors officially! But, it is possible only if you can get it from the US.
Yes, Even I am not sure as to where to buy it from. It is also possible that when the new one comes you might not get old one's or might get old one's with some discount. Lets see.
Old 26th April 2012, 13:30   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra
Yes, Even I am not sure as to where to buy it from. It is also possible that when the new one comes you might not get old one's or might get old one's with some discount. Lets see.
WWDC is not where they launch new Mac models! But, I do expect some new launch by then!

In case you can get it from the US, you will definitely get the outgoing stock with all the popular resellers like MacConnection, Amazon, etc! So the only question is, can you get it from there? Do not expect the prices to drop to half though!!
Old 27th April 2012, 10:35   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
WWDC is not where they launch new Mac models! But, I do expect some new launch by then!

In case you can get it from the US, you will definitely get the outgoing stock with all the popular resellers like MacConnection, Amazon, etc! So the only question is, can you get it from there? Do not expect the prices to drop to half though!!
Well nobody in the known circle is coming from US at this point. Also I would not want to buy the laptop in somebody else's name. This leads to warranty troubles specifically in case the laptop is bought from outside India. I have faced this situation with my current laptop. The international warranty thing specially in those times was very vague. Anyways I have decided to wait for sometime. Let the new one come and then decide. Currently they are not offering even 10 Rs discount.

Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 11:35   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Well nobody in the known circle is coming from US at this point. Also I would not want to buy the laptop in somebody else's name. This leads to warranty troubles specifically in case the laptop is bought from outside India. I have faced this situation with my current laptop. The international warranty thing specially in those times was very vague. Anyways I have decided to wait for sometime. Let the new one come and then decide. Currently they are not offering even 10 Rs discount.

Thanks
Apple has no such problems. Dont put them in the league of Dells, IBM's etc. Get one from the US along with the 3 year protection plan.
Old 27th April 2012, 12:17   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner

Apple has no such problems. Dont put them in the league of Dells, IBM's etc. Get one from the US along with the 3 year protection plan.
Exactly!! My MBP 15" was bought in the US too, in a relative's name. It simply doesn't matter how and where you buy it!! Apple honors it's warranties on all portables like no other company!!
Old 27th April 2012, 14:08   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
+1. I have got parts replaced for my old MBP which only had US warranty, no questions asked.
Old 5th May 2012, 09:18   #817
Distinguished - BHPian

OT: 10 year old Powerbook G4 went bust. Logic board gave up. No point in repairing it. So took her apart and made a clock. Finding a good pendulum movement now so i can swing my old mac bluetooth mouse under it.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-photo-050512-9-08-16-am.jpg

If anyone wants the spares to the 12" G4, do let me know: screen, disc drive, RAM, etc.
Old 5th May 2012, 10:11   #818
BHPian

Hey, can anybody give me the pros and cons of shifting your office from Windows to OS X ?
Honestly, i have been using a mac at home for the past 5 years and see no issues here apart from older employees finding it difficult to migrate ( maybe :P ). Our office does not use any windows specific software apart from outlook.
Once the new iMacs come out, i'm hoping to get a good deal on a set of previous gen models which are more than capable of handling our computing needs.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:26   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddVish View Post
Hey, can anybody give me the pros and cons of shifting your office from Windows to OS X ?

Our office does not use any windows specific software apart from outlook.
Outlook might not be that big of a deal. You can always use Entourage, Outlook (Mac version), Mail or Thunderbird.

You seem to answer your own question. If you don't use any windows specific software then there shouldn't be any issues.

Watch out for scanners, printers and other peripherals that you use with Windows machines. But, as long as you have Mac drivers for them it should be ok.
Old 6th May 2012, 10:38   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, i have been using a mac at home for the past 5 years and see no issues here apart from older employees finding it difficult to migrate ( maybe :P ). Our office does not use any windows specific software apart from outlook.
Once the new iMacs come out, i'm hoping to get a good deal on a set of previous gen models which are more than capable of handling our computing needs.
Depends on what kind of work your employees are doing. For some areas Mac is a better platform, for example developement on Unix based platforms. If you are OK to explain the nature of the work you do, we'd be able to help.

What are you missing in the Windows platform that you expect from OS X? If Windows has been working for you so far, what exactly do you expect to gain from OS X? You need to answer these questions too.

Outlook is not a windows specific software . Outlook for Mac 2011 is very much on par with and Apple Mail ahead of (in terms of user experience) Outlook for Windows.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:45   #821
BHPian

Well, their main work would be handling email and large quantities of pictures.
Windows is great but, i found that they require lot more maintainence in terms of updates both software and hardware.
most importantly though, the computers need an upgrade so I just thought if we could gets Macs for not too much more, it might be a good deal. Cuts down on a lot of desk clutter too.
In an ideal world though I would love to have one single CPU with tonnes of processing power and storage that could handle 6 different users. This would simply all the updates, maintainence and backups
Old 6th May 2012, 13:54   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Well, their main work would be handling email and large quantities of pictures.
Well, in that case, you have the ideal solution in the form of a Macintosh! All kinds of email are best handled with the in-built Mail.app. And, pictures are best handled on Aperture (or even Photoshop for Mac if you want to).

Quote:
In an ideal world though I would love to have one single CPU with tonnes of processing power and storage that could handle 6 different users. This would simply all the updates, maintainence and backups
Why don't you consider the "Mac OS X Lion Server" operating system? I really recommend you talk to the Apple folks (I think their tech support should connect you to the right people) and get an idea of the kind of computing resources you would need. Perhaps ONE souped up Mac Pro with the Server edition of the OS should take care of 4-6 people simultaneously!
Old 29th May 2012, 22:35   #823
BHPian

I'm planning to get my first ever MacBook Pro. I would prefer to have the 13 inch version. The Apple website says that the 13 inch ones have the dual core processor and I also keep hearing rumours about the new MacBook Pro with the Intel Ivy processors. What do you guys suggest?

I would mostly be doing programming using Java and Oracle database. I do not fancy any graphics intense games and also do not intend to watch HD movies.

So the question is, should I go for the current 13 inch MacBook Pro with the current price or wait till the new one gets released so that there are considerable discounts for the old 13 inch models.
Old 29th May 2012, 22:42   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
So the question is, should I go for the current 13 inch MacBook Pro with the current price or wait till the new one gets released so that there are considerable discounts for the old 13 inch models.
If you're looking for discounts then wait. If you've relatives/friends coming from USA then request them to get it for you. Considerable discounts on current gen models.
Old 29th May 2012, 22:53   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
If you're looking for discounts then wait. If you've relatives/friends coming from USA then request them to get it for you. Considerable discounts on current gen models.
I live in Europe so I have to better get it here rather than get it from the USA. There were quite a few good deals on the older iPads and I hope that the same happens with the Mac Book Pro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks