Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2012, 21:13   #856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
rtandon, I meant only the buying part in the 'geographical' mention.
Oh yes! That's what I meant as well. That's the setup I'm on. Although, I haven't had a repair under APP yet.
Old 1st June 2012, 21:57   #857
Senior - BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Oh yes! That's what I meant as well. That's the setup I'm on. Although, I haven't had a repair under APP yet.
Thanks for the info, I will compare and see the difference. Wish you never have to use the APP
Old 1st June 2012, 22:52   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
NTFS is Microsoft's proprietary file system. Is there a particular reason you have to use it? I'd recommend moving to HFS/FAT.
Its my 6 year old external HDD. I cant now format it into HFS/FAT and use in my Mac. Its filled with 240GB of data.
Old 1st June 2012, 23:30   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms
Its my 6 year old external HDD. I cant now format it into HFS/FAT and use in my Mac. Its filled with 240GB of data.
Of course you can! Use a temporary space to store data before formatting to FAT32.
Old 1st June 2012, 23:33   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If thats possible, I can ask some of my friends in US to pick it up for me.
Yes, you can do that. I bought the APP for my MBP15 from the US, got it for ~11K INR. Keep looking for deals in the 1 year that you have after purchase. You don't need the box, just the APP code inside. Take a pic of the serial no. on the box and keep it for reference, in some cases Apple asks for it to prove that you bought it from a genuine source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Paragon works very well for both my external HDDs. Are you sure your HDD is not nearing the end of its life? 6 years is a very long time for an HDD if used regularly.
Old 2nd June 2012, 06:52   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Paragon works very well for both my external HDDs. Are you sure your HDD is not nearing the end of its life? 6 years is a very long time for an HDD if used regularly.
I have used Paragon, but the only problem is, detecting the volume and its contents takes a long time. Sometimes the mac freezes. I am sure this is only due to these software, because, once i disable it, my HDD detection is very quick.

Not sure if my HDD itself is aged, cos, in windows, it is as quick as a snap.
Old 5th June 2012, 12:17   #862
Senior - BHPian

Pro Tip for everyone looking to pick up AppleCare for their Apple device, buy it from one of the many sellers on eBay US, way way cheaper than India. They email you the code instantly, and I can happily say that it works absolutely fine. Have bought AppleCare for my 20' iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro and the new 27' iMac online.
Old 5th June 2012, 12:35   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw
Pro Tip for everyone looking to pick up AppleCare for their Apple device, buy it from one of the many sellers on eBay US.
I've found lacomputercompany to be pretty competitive! Watch out for Thanksgiving weekend sale, etc!!
Old 5th June 2012, 12:47   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw
Pro Tip for everyone looking to pick up AppleCare for their Apple device, buy it from one of the many sellers on eBay US
Don't. There have been few stories where Apple has refused warranty coverage on AppleCare bought on eBay. What they require is a proof of purchase from the reseller. Not just a proof that you bought it but the proof that reseller bought from Apple. AAPL also has a support page where they list authorized resellers for AppleCare. Or call them to check reseller status before plonking your money down.
Old 5th June 2012, 23:54   #865
BHPian

Guys,

I just checked the prices for the MacBook Pro 13 inch models and there is already a 100 Euro discount running currently from the original price as mentioned in the Apple website. Is this a sign for the new MacBook Pro models to be announced in the WWDC slated for the next week? Will there be a further price reductions happening once Apple announces the new models?

I would most definitely buy the old MacBook Pro, but would like to wait a bit to see if there is a drop in the price. But I also fear that if there is a considerable drop in the prices for the old models say in the brange of a couple hundreds of Euros or Dollars, will there be enough pieces in stock? Do we run the risk of the stocks sold out due to the drop in prices? Anyone having experience buying the older versions of an Apple product when the new ones are announced and subsequently a drop in price for the older ones?
Old 6th June 2012, 00:08   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Don't. There have been few stories where Apple has refused warranty coverage on AppleCare bought on eBay. What they require is a proof of purchase from the reseller. Not just a proof that you bought it but the proof that reseller bought from Apple. AAPL also has a support page where they list authorized resellers for AppleCare. Or call them to check reseller status before plonking your money down.
+1 to that. Never ever buy on eBay. You'll save a few thousands, but invite a lot of trouble for later. There have been cases where the same code has been sold to multiple buyers on eBay and Apple has cancelled coverage a few months after accepting it. You must provide the serial number on the box when asked for proof of purchase. If your coverage gets cancelled after the 1 year period post purchase is over, you'll not be able to get AppleCare at all. As I said earlier, many genuine Apple resellers offer deals a couple of times in a year, so be on the lookout - I got mine from B&H for ~11K when Apple was selling it for ~18K.
Old 6th June 2012, 00:40   #867
BHPian

I was just having a look at the AppleCare and the terms and conditions that apply. It seems strange to me as the AppleCare would void all other warranty for the whole system if the physical damage done to the system is self induced. But what if you accidentally drop your computer and the screen gets a crack? As per AppleCare, this would void your warranty and you either have to pay and get it repaired or throw your machine in the dustbin.

This seems crazy to me and I'm considering my decision to buy a MacBook Pro. I have been using a Lenovo Thinkpad all these years and I have always had a royal service. Whenever I have any issue, I get a technician sent to my home and replace or repair the issue. I have a Lenovo T410s and I have a 3 year at home service and I did not pay any money extra other than the cost of the machine. Well, the machine was a bit pricey, but I like it so far. I'm wondering what the deal is with the MacBook Pro and why Apple is so afraid and cautious to void a warranty if the damage is accidentally self induced.
Old 6th June 2012, 01:35   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
I'm wondering what the deal is with the MacBook Pro and why Apple is so afraid and cautious to void a warranty if the damage is accidentally self induced.
As far as I understand, self-induced damage is covered only under insurance, never warranty!! For every brand!
Old 6th June 2012, 01:39   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

? Will there be a further price reductions happening once Apple announces the new models?
Quote:
I was just having a look at the AppleCare and the terms and conditions that apply.As per AppleCare, this would void your warranty and you either have to pay and get it repaired or throw your machine in the dustbin.
No once the new product is announced there is no more discount on prices and the shops start stocking the newer models within a month. They do start giving out many freebies in case of older stock till the newer stock arrives. My reseller mailed me a few days back saying some 5000 worth of accesories with a new(old stock) MacbookPro.

P.s in case of Nokia also i faced similar issue. My screen cracked due to a fall and I had to pay up for a new screen even though i was under Nokia Care extended warranty. So i guess its the same over the entire product range.

Strangely Apple devices mostly dont mess up within the first 2 or 3 years of ownership but you end up paying for APP. After the APP cover is over then either you end up buying a new Mac or your device is trashed. But earlier macs were known to last for long time. My friend had won an iMac when it used to come with Crt monitors. That mac lasts till this day and is used by his typist.

I dont understand why Apple cant open its own store in India. Things would be in much better shape here and more affordable with plenty of options. Its not just apple but other companies like dell, hp etc. Alienware wasnt able to provide me configurations available on their US website. But Id say the customer support of dell and alienware in India is far better than Apple's. Replacements take 2 weeks usually but you get a new unit rather than refurbished one as is the case with Apple.

Im an Apple fanboy but not a fanatic.

Cheers !!
Old 6th June 2012, 01:47   #870
BHPian

2 to 3 years is also what I'm looking for. I do not want to spend more on the MacBook Pro as I would mainly use it for software development purposes and I do not need a powerful hardware. That was the reason why I wanted to go for the cheapest MacBook Pro available. But I was just wondering if I could get it even cheaper once the new models have been announced. Anyways, I would wait till the next week before I decide on my buy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks