Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 22:59   #826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
I live in Europe so I have to better get it here rather than get it from the USA.
Eh, OK. Then just search the various authorized resellers in Europe plus European Mac forums.
Buying discussion on this thread are generally India centric + iOS app does not show location.
Old 29th May 2012, 23:34   #827
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Help!

I am planning to buy my first mac, thinking about the macbook pro 13 with i5.

I will mostly use it for InDesign work and emails and general word processing. Anyone have any experience on how good this is? I mean regards to processing power and battery consumption. I can't deal with lags and crashes thats why I ask - sorry for the noooooob questions.

eBay are doing a deal for 57k. That sounds pretty sweet to me. Any advice on this? Its here: Apple Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.4 Ghz i5 Processor with Warr/Bill - MD313HN/A | eBay

Thanks for your help, Cheers.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:23   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I will mostly use it for InDesign work and emails and general word processing.
I think you'll find the screen too small for any kind of design work.
Especially layouts and such in inDesign.

If portability is a BIG requirement, then and only then must you seriously consider the 13". Else, go for 15".
Old 30th May 2012, 10:23   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
eBay are doing a deal for 57k. That sounds pretty sweet to me. Any advice on this? Its here: Apple Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.4 Ghz i5 Processor with Warr/Bill - MD313HN/A | eBay
The deal is good, but if you wait for sometime, the MBPs are getting refreshed completely with new design, screen and hardware. One thing to note is that you wont get the same deal on the new model and there is no official date as to when it will be released. Rumours suggest that it will be before the end of year.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:34   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
I think you'll find the screen too small for any kind of design work.
Especially layouts and such in inDesign.

If portability is a BIG requirement, then and only then must you seriously consider the 13". Else, go for 15".
Thats a good point you mention, but yes portability is a big requirement. I don't know why but I have always had a thing for small laptops. I guess I will have to see it in person before I buy. The 15inch price kinda puts me off though as it is my first mac buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
The deal is good, but if you wait for sometime, the MBPs are getting refreshed completely with new design, screen and hardware. One thing to note is that you wont get the same deal on the new model and there is no official date as to when it will be released. Rumours suggest that it will be before the end of year.
I converted it into £'s and its £675 cos of the current exchange rate, whereas it is still going for £999 in the UK. I think that at this price I might just bite in stead of waiting for the new roll out and paying about Rs.20-30k more. Is the current hardware setup powerful enough for design layout work and other basic functionality?

Cheers.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:55   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I converted it into £'s and its £675 cos of the current exchange rate, whereas it is still going for £999 in the UK. I think that at this price I might just bite in stead of waiting for the new roll out and paying about Rs.20-30k more. Is the current hardware setup powerful enough for design layout work and other basic functionality?
I really dont know about the software you have mentioned. But I suppose 2.4Ghz and 4 GB RAM combo is sufficient for majority of softwares out there, unless you are too much into graphics rendering.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:56   #832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I thought I should start a thread on Apple Computers, many of the t-bhpians who use these machines can share knowledge, troubleshoot and reccomend software to fellow users.
Guys about 20 days ago I got a Macbook Pro and an ipad. I forced myself to try and learn this system by carrying it on my recent travels leaving my trusty Thinkpad at home.

I have used a Thinkpad for 15+ years. When one broke, I bought another.

The Mac system works alarmingly well but I still need a lot of help. That missing right click is one problem I continue to face. Another is that the absense of a delete key and the fact that hold this shift key down and using the mouse does not select multiple items. Does Mac do these things some "different" way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
So took her apart and made a clock. Finding a good pendulum movement now so i can swing my old mac bluetooth mouse under it.
Nice idea.

Sometimes when my Macbook acts "differently" I feel like doing the same thing.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:05   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
If you believe the rumor mill, they are doing away with the optical drive and more of the built-in ports on the MBP this time around.

Thinner 15-Inch MacBook Pro Coming with Retina Display and USB 3.0? - Mac Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The Mac system works alarmingly well but I still need a lot of help. That missing right click is one problem I continue to face. Another is that the absense of a delete key and the fact that hold this shift key down and using the mouse does not select multiple items. Does Mac do these things some "different" way.
Mac does do things differently. You just have to get used to doing things the Mac way. Have you configured double finger right click behavior? Also, holding the shift key down and using the mouse does select multiple items for me.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:16   #834
BHPian

Quote:
1. Right click - in your System Preferences, set the trackpad to initiate 'Secondary Tap' under 'Two Fingers'

2. Hold down Fn (Function key) and hit backspace, to make it work like the Delete key.

3. To select multiple items, hold down the Command key and it'll work.
If you want to select, say, the first 10 items in a list of 20, then hold the shift key, click on the first item, and then click on the 10th item - and all in between will get selected too.

There are a few differences between win and mac in these respects, but nothing too drastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Also, holding the shift key down and using the mouse does select multiple items for me.
In Snow Leopard, this works in Finder windows, but not on the desktop.

Last edited by ladak.imran : 30th May 2012 at 11:18.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:21   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a good point you mention, but yes portability is a big requirement.
If portability is important, then you could always get a cheap 21"monitor and leave it on your work-desk.

Power-wise, the 13" should be able to cope with your requirement decently.
But larger files (many pages, many layers, etc) will bog your system down, whether its a 13" or 15" or 17".
Old 30th May 2012, 11:24   #836
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Right click - in your System Preferences, set the trackpad to initiate 'Secondary Tap' under 'Two Fingers'

2. Hold down Fn (Function key) and hit backspace, to make it work like the Delete key.

3. To select multiple items, hold down the Command key and it'll work.

Thanks Ladak for those answers, please stand by for more stupid questions.

I dont know what the OS is. I know the machine is an i7 with 8GB or RAM and a 13" screen.

What I liked about the Mac was that is automatically figured out I was conected to a wired LAN then when I turned on the iPad the iPad figured out the Macbook was available on wireless so via a single LAN cable I got internet access to both machines seemlessly and quickly (straight out of the box). With a PC youd have had to enter numbers and passwords etc..

Last edited by navin : 30th May 2012 at 11:27.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:58   #837
BHPian

Quote:

I don't remember the behavior on Snow Leopard, but for me it works everywhere except Desktop on Lion.
Old 30th May 2012, 14:09   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I dont know what the OS is. I know the machine is an i7 with 8GB or RAM and a 13" screen.
Click on the small apple icon on the top left corner and select About This Mac. In the pop up window it will show version. 10.7.x is lion and 10.6.x is snow leopard. 10.5.x was leopard and 10.4.x was tiger.

EDIT: i can use either shift or command key + click to select multiple items on desktop and finder both in Lion.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 30th May 2012 at 14:12. Reason: see edit
Old 30th May 2012, 14:33   #839
Team-BHP Support

After two years of using 27 inch iMac, I am back to PC. This happened because iMac ended up in workshop for nearly a month, and then 10 days more on second innings.

First repair: They changed disk drive, display, graphics card, logic board, and some cable. This took one month. So I had to buy a new PC to continue working.

Second repair: Once the iMac came back and I connected it to the power supply, it died again. This time they changed power supply and logic board. If it causes any more trouble, Apple has promised to replace the whole iMac.

Now I have given the iMac to my Apple team, they were happy to welcome it into their fold.
Old 31st May 2012, 01:13   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After two years of using 27 inch iMac, I am back to PC. This happened because iMac ended up in workshop for nearly a month, and then 10 days more on second innings.

First repair: They changed disk drive, display, graphics card, logic board, and some cable. This took one month. So I had to buy a new PC to continue working.

Second repair: Once the iMac came back and I connected it to the power supply, it died again. This time they changed power supply and logic board. If it causes any more trouble, Apple has promised to replace the whole iMac.

Now I have given the iMac to my Apple team, they were happy to welcome it into their fold.
So what are you trying to say? Are you recommending not to buy an iMac? Dont't scare me away as I'm planning to buy my first Mac Book Pro and so far I'm very much satisfied with my iPad and iPhone 4S. I'm planning to replace my Lenovo Thinkpad with a new notebook and considering to buy the Mac Book Pro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks