Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-166.html)

^^ Hey Avi, yeah i just checked it starts from 35,900 now. They have removed the basic one which I had and added backpack and BT to raise the price. My Dell has the same configuration (i3 processor etc.) but no backpack and BT and 4GB RAM. Strange they removed it within the month. Guess its college time so they are cashing on it.

Lenovo isnt bad, my sis got it 2 yrs back for her MBA and it was able to last during that period. The battery gave up at the end though, but other than that its still going ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avi550m (Post 1975392)
Can anyone clarify if Lenovo's (apart from the Thinkpad line) build quality and reliability is good or poor.

Regarding your above query, Dell is better than Lenovo's. I have a Dell Vostro 1500 and Lenovo G460. The hinge and back panel of Lenovo was misaligned in less than 2 months while i didn't face any problem with Vostro's hinge/back panel for 2 and half years. Though now it did show a problem but more or less i was responsible as i dropped it.

If reliability is your concern, I would pick Dell. They have excellent customer service too.

Most of the lenovo's are assembled in China and has more parts made in China. Atleast the one's that are sold in USA. While for Dell, they are manufactured in Malaysia and assembled in Texas, USA. I have no idea where the laptops from these companies come from in India. I guess to would be manufactured and assembled in India only.

I am not too aware of the prices, so won't comment on that, but if you can get a Dell for even 35k or 36k, do get it. Its worth the extra. Also opt for on-site warranty if you can. will go a long way in giving you piece of mind

any options with 17" screens, looking for normal office use only.

HP DV7T series is 17" iirc.

Any one got any tips on a moderate gaming rig under 50K? Do write about reliability and vfm aspects as well.

I need to buy an Sony vaio laptop but Sony flashship offering only 2% less on MRP so I'm thinking to import it from abroad, Any Sites you can recommend ?

Hey Techies ,

I need your advice on buying a laptop. I already have a 3 year old HP DV1000 which is doing just fine , along with that I use iPAD for general browsing . I also use Lenovo Thinkpad given by office.

I want to buy a new laptop for my wife , she will be using it primarily for her DBA course and general surfing and infotainment . She don't have any specific requirements apart from the screen size She don't want anything bigger than 14.1 to max 14.5 inches.

I will be making the purchase from US , I can order online or can pick it up from store.
Guys please help me out as I want to finalize it soon.

Regards

Hi,

I wanted views on Sony's after sales service for the Vaio. Specifically in Delhi, and whether they offer an equivalent to Dell's CC.

TIA!

@Prashant

I think any basic Inspiron (with complete cover) would suit her needs. Pretty sure you'll get a lot of options in the US, but would recommend you stick to Dell if you plan on bringing it back to India.

Quick question, where can I find the bluetooth tab on my Dell Inspiron 14? I've looked all over the program menu and can't seem to find a hint of it.

EDIT:
Prashant, I've been using a Dell Inspiron with since three months now, and it is a great machine. I do not have much nnotebook experience to bank my claims, but Dell service has been exemplary and the battery life amongst other things is great too. Superb value for money, and you're going to be able to get it for much cheaper while in the US which is an added bonus.

manson.

^^ Do you have Windows7? If so the up arrow in the system tray will have the BT option.Else u can also try looking under the control panel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1985836)
Hi,

I wanted views on Sony's after sales service for the Vaio. Specifically in Delhi, and whether they offer an equivalent to Dell's CC.

TIA!

@Prashant

I think any basic Inspiron (with complete cover) would suit her needs. Pretty sure you'll get a lot of options in the US, but would recommend you stick to Dell if you plan on bringing it back to India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson (Post 1986187)
Quick question, where can I find the bluetooth tab on my Dell Inspiron 14? I've looked all over the program menu and can't seem to find a hint of it.

EDIT:
Prashant, I've been using a Dell Inspiron with since three months now, and it is a great machine. I do not have much nnotebook experience to bank my claims, but Dell service has been exemplary and the battery life amongst other things is great too. Superb value for money, and you're going to be able to get it for much cheaper while in the US which is an added bonus.

manson.

Thank you guys . I checked on the Dell website and tried to customize it .
I am looking for a slim laptop with max 13 inch screen size.
I was checking toshiba laptops and came across this config -

Processor AMD Athlon™ II Neo Dual-Core Processor K325
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Graphics Engine ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 4225Graphics Memory 256MB-1405MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Memory and Storage

Memory 2GB DDR3 memory
Hard Drive320GB HDD (5400rpm)Optical Drive
Can you guys please let me know , how good this particular processor and config is? Price is $500

Regards

Hi Dell Inspiron users,

I am a Dell Latitude user and quite comfortable with my D520. It is more than 4 years old. Just want to go for a change of Inspiron,But I found some facilities of Latitude is not found in Inspiron. Does it haa internal modem provision. In times the Broad band gives trouble a stand by Dial up is needed for me. I looked my friends' Dell laptops of the recent makes they are lacking the mode, Any comments.

No, Inspiron's do not have an internal modem. You could get a USB mini-modem. Those things come for cheap, if I recall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navan49 (Post 1988284)
Hi Dell Inspiron users,

I am a Dell Latitude user and quite comfortable with my D520. It is more than 4 years old. Just want to go for a change of Inspiron,But I found some facilities of Latitude is not found in Inspiron. Does it haa internal modem provision. In times the Broad band gives trouble a stand by Dial up is needed for me. I looked my friends' Dell laptops of the recent makes they are lacking the mode, Any comments.

You can order for Internal modem while you order your Inspiron through Dell website or call center. It may cost you around Rs700/-.

Hi friends,

My laptop - Sony Vaio VGNFE660G is more than 4 yrs old now. It's battery gave away more than a year ago. A few days ago it crashed and I lost lots of data. Since a couple of days some of the keys have stopped functioning (a, s, /, ., z, down arrow & both Ctrl keys). It's a pain to type anything using on screen keyboard.

1. I will try to open it up and clean everything but I doubt it would fix the issue.
2. Can I just get the keyboard replaced? How much would it cost?

I know it has lived its life & its time to get a replacement, but I just want to stretch it a little more. Any help in resolving the issue would be appreciated.

Thanks

It is a great good idea of using internal or external mini modem to use with Dial up. Thanks to you all who came up with the appropriate suggestions which did not strike at all.