Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-161.html)

Its time I pick a laptop. Need a proper performance oriented one, not for gaming but aimed at heavy image editing and rendering. Will be working maximum time on photoshop, lightroom and ocassionally photomatix. I dont at all game, so its a strict no no for gaming. Working as a photographer for a magazine, so will be working with huge raw files and yeah I think you quite get it now that I will be banking heavily on image editing. Apart from this, should be able to plug into external monitors to display images or watch HD movies.

Ill be on the move so that is the sole reason for a laptop over a powerful desktop. Portability is an issue, so limited myself to 15inches.

Options I had,
1. HP - bad service, complains, and envy is too pricey!
2. Apple MBP - Too pricey but surely it tempts.
3. Dell Studio 15 - Seems to be the most sensible but still dint finalize.
4. Open to suggestions.

The config I feel will do good is similar to clevermax's. i7 processor, 4GB RAM, 320/500GB RAM 7200rpm, Full HD display, and 1GB graphics card most likely.

I am not able to decide the spec part or the best option for my requirement as am getting different feedbacks from different people. Basically now its like, if I go for a MBP with i7, I can get a dell of similar config for half the cost, is it worth going for the MBP still? i7 vs i5, will I see results with the i7? Ill be using CS4/5 and banking on the processor resources directly. Graphic card, which would suffice my requirement? i definitely want the best option out there for my requirement but not able to decide.

Counting on you guys!

^^ Latitude is a rugged business laptop whereas Inspiron and Studio are for personal/home use.

UPDATE:
I was looking into buying an ultra portable and I was stuck whether to get MBP 13" or the Thinkpad T410. But after spending 3-4 days surfing the web, reading reviews, forums etc, I finally got one - but wait, not the MacBook pro nor the thinkPad. Instead got the Sony VAIO Z series 13" weighing just, hold on ------ mind boggling 1.39 Kg. But don't you dare underestimate this little monster (as it will easily put shame to the like of high-end gaming desktop machines), as the specs tell a different story:

Core i5 540M 2.53 GHz (with turbo boost upto 3.06 Ghz)
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM
1 GB - NVIDEA GeForce GT 330M GPU /Intel HD Graphics
128 GB SSD (Solid State Disk)
DVD RW (optical drive)
13.1" (1600 x 900) matte, anti-glare
Switchable graphics (what SONY calls 'Dynamic Hybrid Graphics System) allowing for toggling graphic processor to either the discrete NVIDEA or the inbuilt Intel HD Graphics.
Backlit keyboards
HDMI, VGA, 3 X USB,ExpressCard, SD slot, Memory Stick slot, BlueTooth +EDR
Carbon fibre body case + aluminum single frame
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Also provided is Windows XP Professional CD

Bargain: 4% off from the MRP, plus FREE - a VAIO original case + 5 DVD +RW.
Total Paid: Rs 1,06,000
Extended warranty for 2nd and 3rd year - Rs 5000.

Now in the process of removing all the bloatwares!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by furioussphinx (Post 1923660)
Its time I pick a laptop. Need a proper performance oriented one, not for gaming but aimed at heavy image editing and rendering. Will be working maximum time on photoshop, lightroom and ocassionally photomatix. I dont at all game, so its a strict no no for gaming. Working as a photographer for a magazine, so will be working with huge raw files and yeah I think you quite get it now that I will be banking heavily on image editing. Apart from this, should be able to plug into external monitors to display images or watch HD movies.

Ill be on the move so that is the sole reason for a laptop over a powerful desktop. Portability is an issue, so limited myself to 15inches.

Options I had,
1. HP - bad service, complains, and envy is too pricey!
2. Apple MBP - Too pricey but surely it tempts.
3. Dell Studio 15 - Seems to be the most sensible but still dint finalize.
4. Open to suggestions.

The config I feel will do good is similar to clevermax's. i7 processor, 4GB RAM, 320/500GB RAM 7200rpm, Full HD display, and 1GB graphics card most likely.

I am not able to decide the spec part or the best option for my requirement as am getting different feedbacks from different people. Basically now its like, if I go for a MBP with i7, I can get a dell of similar config for half the cost, is it worth going for the MBP still? i7 vs i5, will I see results with the i7? Ill be using CS4/5 and banking on the processor resources directly. Graphic card, which would suffice my requirement? i definitely want the best option out there for my requirement but not able to decide.

Counting on you guys!

I guess, photography/HD video says it all - you SHOULD get a MBP 15". Having said that, after comparing the performance and portability, I ditched the MBP for this little monster from Sony which practically can thrash the MBP in all areas - be in build quality, performance, graphics etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 1923893)
^^ Latitude is a rugged business laptop whereas Inspiron and Studio are for personal/home use.

Hey max, I dont need a latitude, not into that much of outdoor shoots either :p Will be carrying it with me in the car always and basically Ill be moving from country to country in short spans of a couple of months, so opting for a notebook over a desktop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iTNerd (Post 1923997)
UPDATE:
I was looking into buying an ultra portable and I was stuck whether to get MBP 13" or the Thinkpad T410. But after spending 3-4 days surfing the web, reading reviews, forums etc, I finally got one - but wait, not the MacBook pro nor the thinkPad. Instead got the Sony VAIO Z series 13" weighing just, hold on ------ mind boggling 1.39 Kg. But don't you dare underestimate this little monster (as it will easily put shame to the like of high-end gaming desktop machines), as the specs tell a different story:

Core i5 540M 2.53 GHz (with turbo boost upto 3.06 Ghz)
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM
1 GB - NVIDEA GeForce GT 330M GPU /Intel HD Graphics
128 GB SSD (Solid State Disk)
DVD RW (optical drive)
13.1" (1600 x 900) matte, anti-glare
Switchable graphics (what SONY calls 'Dynamic Hybrid Graphics System) allowing for toggling graphic processor to either the discrete NVIDEA or the inbuilt Intel HD Graphics.
Backlit keyboards
HDMI, VGA, 3 X USB,ExpressCard, SD slot, Memory Stick slot, BlueTooth +EDR
Carbon fibre body case + aluminum single frame
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Also provided is Windows XP Professional CD

Bargain: 4% off from the MRP, plus FREE - a VAIO original case + 5 DVD +RW.
Total Paid: Rs 1,06,000
Extended warranty for 2nd and 3rd year - Rs 5000.

Now in the process of removing all the bloatwares!!!

Woah! Killer laptop and sweet specs too. Just the price is a put off for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iTNerd (Post 1924011)
I guess, photography/HD video says it all - you SHOULD get a MBP 15". Having said that, after comparing the performance and portability, I ditched the MBP for this little monster from Sony which practically can thrash the MBP in all areas - be in build quality, performance, graphics etc.

The only negative is the cost factor. I cant shell in around a lac now. Disadvantages of being a student and parents not understanding lol. My budget was 50k but I think I can push it beyond upto around 60k.

I zeroed onto 2 options,

1. Dell Studio 15 - i7 720QM, 4GB RAM, ATi Radeon 1Gb, 500gb hdd 7.2k rpm, full hd display, 9 cell battery, backlit keyboard.... this is summing upto 60k on the dell site. So I should get it for a shade less than 60k, this is if my parents oblige.

2. In case its better I go for a MPB 15", then what I could do now is adjust with a little less powerful notebook and upgrade after a couple of months to a MBP. The option for this is a Dell Vostro 3300 - i5 430/520 M, 4GB RAM, 512mb nvidia geforce 310m, 320/500gb hdd 7.2k rpm, 8cell battery, backlit keyboard.

However I have no clue as to how much the vostro would cost me in this spec and basically how that laptop is, the only reason i liked it, its a 13incher. Expecting it to be in the region of 50-55k.

In such a price bracket, can we get any decent similar spec laptops from any other brands?

Quote:

Originally Posted by furioussphinx (Post 1924489)
In such a price bracket, can we get any decent similar spec laptops from any other brands?

Check my post on the last page. If you want to work with Photoshop, make sure you get something with NVIDIA graphics.

If you don't game, even a low end one like G105 would do well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d3mon (Post 1925312)
Check my post on the last page. If you want to work with Photoshop, make sure you get something with NVIDIA graphics.

If you don't game, even a low end one like G105 would do well.

Yes I did check that. I have an alienware m17x going for 80k (almost brand new, just out of the box and brought to india), he says its got core 2 extreme quad core, dual nvidia cards, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, etc. Am pretty tempted. Am doubtful if the specs are right though. He says its the topmost config and suppose what I heard is true, then that price is a killer steal. Will be checking it the day after tomorrow. Its got a 1yr ltd hardware warranty but i dont know if dell provides global warranty or not, the laptop was purchased in Canada I suppose.

If I dont pick this laptop, I might just go with the Studio 15 with the config I mentioned.

Got my inspiron 15R (completely basic config) with i3 - 350 M processor , 320 GB HD and 4 GB Ram, win7 Home basic for 34K. I ordered it on friday around 5pm and it was delivered today morning around 11am. Excellent service.

Initial impressions are very good. It has all basic functions that I need, tried opening and operating 4-5 MS office docs along with 3-4 websites and its performing really well.
The SRS speakers are decently loud, the inbuilt webcam is a 1.3 MP and performs as expected. It has an HDMI slot and a 7 in one card reader. Best thing for me is that it has a seperate numpad which I am already getting used to.
Batt. lasted for about 4 hours before i charged it again (yup been playing with it since 11:15 non stop) :D

One thing I didnt like is that they HD is pre partitioned with only 60GB as the C drive for the OS and the rest as a D. I dont know if there is any way for me to change it.
All in all, completely VFM ( what i feel after the first few hours of usage).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 1928675)
One thing I didnt like is that they HD is pre partitioned with only 60GB as the C drive for the OS and the rest as a D. I dont know if there is any way for me to change it.
All in all, completely VFM ( what i feel after the first few hours of usage).

Yes, You can do it. You will have to reinstall the OS. It will give you the option for creating partitions as you wish. I did it for my Studio 14. All drivers should be available with the package.
If you do it, don't format the partition that is named recovery. It has the diagnostic utility which is very handy for troubleshooting any hardware problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirst4torque (Post 1928872)
Yes, You can do it. You will have to reinstall the OS. It will give you the option for creating partitions as you wish. I did it for my Studio 14. All drivers should be available with the package.
If you do it, don't format the partition that is named recovery. It has the diagnostic utility which is very handy for troubleshooting any hardware problem.

Thanks bro, the issue is they havent given the OS CD. I have 4 CDs with all sorts of things but nothing for the OS.

if it's vista/windows 7, you can right click my computer, ->manage->disk management and there you can resize the partition.

disable hibernate, system restore and swap file before that. That will help you recover more free space for resizing. you can enable them later.

Here is how I manager my partitions and backup.

EDIT: first thing you soyld do is go the the recovery software and create your recovery DVDs (complete OS). and also save the license number at the bottom sticker of the laptop.

Thats right... dont reinstall your OS directly.. that should just be your last option. 50G is a decent space for OS actually. If you have Win7 then you will need all that space eventually.
Why do you want to change it? Too little left for D or too much?
Best way is to use Partition Magic or the Disk Management that comes with the OS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 1929108)
if it's vista/windows 7, you can right click my computer, ->manage->disk management and there you can resize the partition.

disable hibernate, system restore and swap file before that. That will help you recover more free space for resizing. you can enable them later.

Here is how I manager my partitions and backup.

EDIT: first thing you soyld do is go the the recovery software and create your recovery DVDs (complete OS). and also save the license number at the bottom sticker of the laptop.

Thanks bro, actually i did start creating the recovery DVD need to check if that did happen or not. Will try this for sure.
Edit: Checked your blog, very helpful tips man. Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocreative (Post 1929137)
Thats right... dont reinstall your OS directly.. that should just be your last option. 50G is a decent space for OS actually. If you have Win7 then you will need all that space eventually.
Why do you want to change it? Too little left for D or too much?
Best way is to use Partition Magic or the Disk Management that comes with the OS.

Thanks Joe. Actually I think that with Windows 60 GB might turn out to be less over a period of time. With the number of updates etc that keep happening (though I am selective with them) and each application I will install will end up decreasing the free space of the C drive. Looking at a longer time period I would want to get this done right now, when I hardly have any data on the comp.

if you go thru the link I posted, I take an image of the whole OS partition and restore it every now and then. my partition is set to 30 GB and i usually have 8-10 GB free all the time. Periodic restoring makes sure all the junk is removed.

only thing is I don't install any games and have disabled system restore (I can do my own) and hibernate (use sleep rather). you might need more space based on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 1929155)
if you go thru the link I posted, I take an image of the whole OS partition and restore it every now and then. my partition is set to 30 GB and i usually have 8-10 GB free all the time. Periodic restoring makes sure all the junk is removed.

only thing is I don't install any games and have disabled system restore (I can do my own) and hibernate (use sleep rather). you might need more space based on that.

hmm do you n Joe really think that 60GB might actually be enough then? I will anyways save all data on the D which is 225 GB. Or should I just let C be and partition D into two? Oh and I always periodically backup all my data on a 1TB HD which is always offline.

Really confused.