Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-165.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prateekm (Post 1964664)
@Funda2Max

My brother has a HP Pavillion DV5/6 (don't remember the exact model) and it's battery life is pathetic. So check if your model has similar problems.

Thanks!! I will check it out. Battery is essential for a laptop. Hope it wont be as bad as Dell latitude D620/630 which goes off immediately once you unplug the adapter.

@ Clevermax - May be you need to check your BIOS. It may have some settings to disable auto adjustments.

I am Dell ian. I use Latitude D520. It is doing very well. But just in became 4 years old I would love to go fora change. Any one can give a good configuration Dell Lap top. How about the Studio series. If so some one can give the configuration with in 50 to 60K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navan49 (Post 1965069)
I am Dell ian. I use Latitude D520. It is doing very well. But just in became 4 years old I would love to go fora change. Any one can give a good configuration Dell Lap top. How about the Studio series. If so some one can give the configuration with in 50 to 60K.

Studio laptops are very good in terms of build quality and functionality. If you spend 50-60K, you will get a very high end configuration in India. Check out this, Dell(TM) Studio 15 Laptop (T540701IN8) Includes back-lit keyboard and i5/4GB/1GB Graphics/500 GB HDD.

But, i would suggest you look at Inspiron, it is cheaper than Studio but has all capabilities. More over, you save ~15K for the same configuration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funda2max (Post 1964497)
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
•Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-450M Dual Core processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)with Turbo Boost up to 2.66 GHz
•8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
•640GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
•1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics
•15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
•Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
•HP TrueVision Webcam + Digital Microphone
•Intel Wireless-N Card
•Full-size island-style keyboard
•High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard)
•Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
• $1! SAVE NOW!! Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 Month Subscription (activation required)

Total cost = $1030 (July 4th Sale).

On a second thought, I canceled my above order and did a new one with multi touch screen and backlit keyboard.

HP Pavilion dv6t Select Edition
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-450M Dual Core processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)with Turbo Boost up to 2.66 GHz
• 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 640GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics
• 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
• TouchScreen with HP TouchSmart's intuitive multi-touch applications (includes HP TrueVision Webcam)
• Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
• Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
• Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with HP TrueVision Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
• High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard)
• Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
• $1! SAVE NOW!! Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 Month Subscription (activation required)

Total cost : $1195, shipping date : July 13.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funda2max (Post 1965279)
Studio laptops are very good in terms of build quality and functionality. If you spend 50-60K, you will get a very high end configuration in India. Check out this, Dell(TM) Studio 15 Laptop (T540701IN8) Includes back-lit keyboard and i5/4GB/1GB Graphics/500 GB HDD.

But, i would suggest you look at Inspiron, it is cheaper than Studio but has all capabilities. More over, you save ~15K for the same configuration.

Yes Funda I know it is cheaper with Inspiron. So far I am using the Latitude D520. It is fine now. I want to upgrade coz it is 4 years old. How do you feel with Latitude 5500 which is in Indian Market and saw in the Dell site. Idid not get time to study deeply. Seems 77K or 67K.Is it worth.Can any one comment on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navan49 (Post 1968228)
Yes Funda I know it is cheaper with Inspiron. So far I am using the Latitude D520. It is fine now. I want to upgrade coz it is 4 years old. How do you feel with Latitude 5500 which is in Indian Market and saw in the Dell site. Idid not get time to study deeply. Seems 77K or 67K.Is it worth.Can any one comment on this.

Recent generation latitudes from D620, E series prone to have battery issues. Latitude battery comes with one year warranty, costs around 5K. In stead, you can go for Vostro. I read Vostro 3300/3400 is very slim and offers good speed.
You have plenty of options in Dell/HP/Lenovo for your budget. Check here : http://www.deltapage.com/laptop.pdf

This shop is at Ritchie street, you can get good deals from him.

Few days back my cousin bought Sony VIAO VPCEB26FG/P
Specs:
Intelฎ Core™ i3-350M Processor 2.26 GHz
4 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Windowsฎ 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
15.5 (Full-HD: 1920 x 1080) VAIO Display Plus, LED Backlight
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 Graphics with 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM Video Memory
Cost: 50K

Quote:

Originally Posted by navan49 (Post 1968228)

Hi Navan, i have been having the E5400 for close a year now. The laptop is good, but no match to the E6xxx series. I suggest you go in for E6xxx series (E6400/E6500) which would be perfect blend of portability & power. You could even try the x series from IBM (lenovo).

Quote:

Originally Posted by funda2max (Post 1967120)
On a second thought, I canceled my above order and did a new one with multi touch screen and backlit keyboard.

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-450M Dual Core processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)with Turbo Boost up to 2.66 GHz
• 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
• TouchScreen with HP TouchSmart's intuitive multi-touch applications (includes HP TrueVision Webcam)
• Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with HP TrueVision Webcam + Fingerprint Reader

Dont you think 1366X768 will limit the capabilities of having a Blu Ray? 16inch plus screen size with resolution above 1600X900 should be ideal.

Check this deal for just $730 (Blu Ray drive, W7 HP, 16.4 screen etc,)
Sony VAIO VGN-FW590F3B Notebook PC at CircuitCity.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by funda2max (Post 1967120)

Dont you think 1366X768 will limit the capabilities of having a Blu Ray? 16inch plus screen size with resolution above 1600X900 should be ideal.

Check this deal for just $730 - if you are getting from US.!!

(Blu Ray drive, W7 HP, 16.4 screen etc,)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xotiq (Post 1973170)

Check this deal for just $730 - if you are getting from US.!!

(Blu Ray drive, W7 HP, 16.4 screen etc,)

Yes, I have seen this system. Unfortunately, i dont watch movies in my laptop, in stead i will use my LCD TV for that. Also, this machine has C2D which is old.

Hi

My GF got through B-School and needs to buy a laptop urgently (within the next 2 days max). So that kind of reduced the choices I could make.

Also, other requirements were: Budget: Below 35k... All inclusive (tax, etc. etc.)
Use: Mostly Internet, Office Productivity, Music, a few movies etc.
Brands: She did not want an Acer or HP, or a lesser known one like MSI, ASUS etc... Hence I am stuck with Lenovo and Dell.

I need to get here something sturdy, with a reasonable battery life (3hrs+), perhaps a 14-15" screen, a decent keyboard, preloaded Windows 7...
... and most importantly, it should be reliable.

Based on those requirements, I finalized these two models:

LENOVO G450, 59-025687, for Rs. 32,500
Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 (2.2Ghz)
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
3GB RAM
320GB HDD
Intel GMA4500
6 Cell Battery
14" Screen (Glossy)
1 Year Warranty

DELL Vostro 1014, for Rs. 33,000
Intel Core 2 Duo T6750
Windows 7 Home Basic
2GB RAM
320GB HDD
Intel GMA 4500
6 Cell Battery
14" Screen (Matte)
1 Year Warranty

I have not included the Inspiron 14R or 15R as they have the Core i3 processors, and are hence, at least 37k (all inclusive)...
Also, the laptop needs to be available quickly.

I was going to get the Lenovo, but two things stopped me:
1. I have heard that this particular model has issues like excessive heat, crashes during running etc... it it true?
2. It has a glossy screen. I would have preferred a matte one (which is why I shortlisted the Dell), for long work on Word, Excel etc... will a Glossy screen result in a lot of fatigue?

Can anyone pl. reply ASAP, as I need to make a correct decision, else I'm sunk please:.
Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avi550m (Post 1975174)
Hi

My GF got through B-School and needs to buy a laptop urgently (within the next 2 days max). So that kind of reduced the choices I could make.

Can anyone pl. reply ASAP, as I need to make a correct decision, else I'm sunk please:.
Thanks.

obviously, :D TBHP to rescue.

i can tell you about glossy. it will let her work even in strong ambient light (say outdoors). matte on the other hand, scatters the light and renders it useless.

In low ambient light, matte will be perfect but glossy will show reflections from slightest source of light, like a white shirt.

it's a matter of getting used to. small reflections don't bother me anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avi550m (Post 1975174)
Hi

Thanks.

Hey Avi, who told you Dell would be 37K? I got my Inspiron 15R (basic version with RAM upgrade from 3GB to 4 GB)with 4GB RAM for 34K all inclusive. I have been using it for about a month now and its brilliant. THe screen is really bright so late night working should be a breeze ( i miss the backlit keyboard but then that would have crossed a budget), the battery life is close to 4 hrs. It is one of the best VFM laptops I have used.
BTW: I have a Toshiba Satellite, a Compaq and an IBM Thinkpad T60 too and though 15R costs less than half the price of the other ones it has really amazed me. I have been working on Basic photoshop, have 3 browsers open on the side with atleast 5 tabs on each plus 2-3 MS office files and it just doesnt blink.

Go for it if you have the time, if you are in Bangalore you will get it in under a week.

@sammyboy: Well, the 15R on the Dell Website shows a min. price of 35,900, exclusive of delivery charges. I guess the prices have been jacked up because of the new i3 processors. They were available from as little as 30.4k just last month I think.

@vivekiny2k: I have been using Matte on my IBM R60 for the past 4 years. I don't have much experience with glossy. But I agree, matte is useless outdoors.

Thanks for all the help. I shall be going to the Dell Retail Store near Domlur tomorrow to check if I can get any pre-configured models of the Vostro or Inspiron available. Else I guess I will have to take the Lenovo.

Can anyone clarify if Lenovo's (apart from the Thinkpad line) build quality and reliability is good or poor.