Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-160.html)

Thanks Clevermax. I guess i will go in for an i5 only. Any recommendations regarding the models i can look for? I understand i might need to do some customisation though.

Also, whats the diff between a Studio n the inspiron? They seem to have different prices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 1917122)
Thanks Clevermax. I guess i will go in for an i5 only. Any recommendations regarding the models i can look for? I understand i might need to do some customisation though.

Also, whats the diff between a Studio n the inspiron? They seem to have different prices.

I have Inspiron and Studio, I find no big differences! :) Studio comes with graphics cards, and Inspiron had only the on-board Intel graphics chips when I bought it.

I recommend Dell, as I was able to find a config to my liking, withing my budget from Dell. A-S-S is also good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 1917134)
I have Inspiron and Studio, I find no big differences! :) Studio comes with graphics cards, and Inspiron had only the on-board Intel graphics chips when I bought it.

I recommend Dell, as I was able to find a config to my liking, withing my budget from Dell. A-S-S is also good.

Perfect. I have been spoilt by THinkpads so was a little unsure. I also had Toshiba Satellite which was retired 2 yrs back. THe office laptop i have is an HP so Dell is the only one i havnt experienced :D.
Guess its time to check it out then.
WIll check the Studio then cos I might also end up doing a lil bit of PS n basic gaming. THanks a lot bro.

I have been spoilt by MacBook Pro 15" (which I had been using for the last 2 years, and 90% of the time, in windows mode only). But as I am leaving the company and had to return the mac. So, I have an urgent buy to make for a business laptop, preferably light-weight (13"-14"), that have extreme build quality, reliable and more importantly latest configuration. I was considering the latest MacBook pro 13", but the cost itself is premium, and I won't be using much of Mac OS. But I am already sold on the Mac's durability, reliability and design.

But is it worth to buy a MacBook pro only to use in windows, and pay the premium? what other comparable laptops should I look for?

Criteria:
1) Durability/Reliability
2) Great Build quality
3) Light-weight, but still powerful enough to run the latest graphic/video tools (not for gaming)
4) Within 60K budget

Edited: For my gaming and heavy duty video editing, I already have a desktop replacement laptop - DELL Inspiron 17" 9300 (armed to the teeth). So would prefer a light-weight laptop.

Okay so i went to the Dell store today and though i liked the Studio laptops, I am more than happy with the 15R Inspiron series considering my usage. I also plan to use this for a year or two max as I will most probably move the Thinkpad after that.

Planning to go in for the cheapest one, the Inspiron 15 R (T540511IN8) for 31,900 plus delivery charges. I guess 3GB of RAM and i3 is good enough for me for the time being as I will only use this for net surfing and standard MS office stuff. Maybe a little bit of Photoshop but nothing hardcore. I will not really use this for gaming as I already have a game ready desktop and a new PS3.

I loved the extra numpad though, as i really need that and use it a lot.
I guess there will be cheaper options available too but then Dell has great service (will take the 2yr warranty, non accidental one) and I dont really wanna run around incase something goes wrong.

What say guys? Should I take the plunge?

I am in the market for a thin-light weight laptop, thin-light weight because of the mobility factor as it would accompany me on every journey. My need is purely for biz purpose (emails, development and occasional photo/video editing). No gaming! As it would be on the move most of the time, I am looking towards a rigid and reliable build that can withstand normal abuses (not the hardcore dropping on pool, or throwing into the mud!). I particularly like the aluminum uni body construction of the macbook pro, and haven used the older MBP 15", I can vouch for its utmost reliability. Only one thought that is holding me back is the high premium on the 13" MBP and yet, the CPU is the older core 2 duo, no dedicated GPU, only two USB ports, 1280x800 resolution only!

On the contrary the ThinkPad T410 comes with a choice of core 2 duo and the latest i3, i5 CPUs, high resolution 1440x960 etc. And of course, more security oriented features such as finger print reader, and 3 years warranty including battery. The price (MBP 13" and ThinkPad 410) are in the range of 65-70 K.

My dilemma is whether to blindly buy the MBP 13" (if I do, I will install windows and use it 95% of the time) or to try a thinkpad with build quality to match and which is more practical (in the sense, it is designed for windows)?

Any views would be helpful!

If you are going to use windows most of the time, then I would choose thinkpad. Especially since you mention that the 3 year warranty covers battery too.

I love all those tiny utility provided on IBM/lenovo website (though they hog up some RAM) especially the hard disk motion detecting utility. Plus appreciation for thinkpad quality over the last 5 years (Though in my personal opinion the quality has come down since lenovo took over.).

Thanks debugged! Do you mean the quality has gone done on the ThinkPad range after lenovo take over? I heard the opposite from some forums though..

Well, I have been using Thinkpads for about 6 years and am a big fan. I (actually my wife :D )have a T60 with me as well which is over 2 years old and apart from the battery life having reduced to about 1 hour of backup it still works and feels like new.
This one was bought after the name change to Lenovo but i havent really felt any difference.

They are the most robust laptops I have ever used and the keyboard is one of the best ever. If you have the budget, I would say go for it. If you can get it from the US, nothing like it. The one I got cost me about 75k from there but the similar config was not even available in India at that time, the closest was about for about 1.2L .

But I guess the difference is not as much now so getting it from here at about 70K is pretty decent as well.

@ sammyboy: if the battery life is reduced to about an hour.. then beware.. the battery might die any time.. it happened on my lappy..

@iTNerd: its pointless buying a mac if you are gonna install windows on it.. so go for the thinkpad..
ooh and now macs also come with core i3 and i5 and with 4gb and 6 gb ram options..

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 1917097)
EDIT: I ran Photoshop CS4 64-bit on the new i7 laptop. The performance was really good. PS loads in no time! Somehow, the smooth image zoom-in and zoom-out like you see in Picasa was missing. (I saw that in another desktop, in CS4)

Did the desktop have NVIDIA graphics?

Because that's the only thing that could make a difference.

In the latest iteration of photoshop (read CS4), Adobe has used CUDA acceleration for a number of common tasks, which includes image zooming and panning. This is supported on NVIDIA graphics cards only.

Adobe Speaks Visual

YouTube - Adobe® Photoshop® CS4 & NVIDIA® GPUs

Conspicuous by the absence of any mention of them, I guess many people don't know this, so here goes....

ALIENWARE LAPTOPS ARE AVAILABLE IN INDIA !!!!

Yes, Dell is now selling it's much-famous Alienware Brand in India, available only through their online store.

^^ yeah I did see it in the Dell Showroom in Bangalore, just that they are pretty expensive (but awesome)

Quote:

Originally Posted by d3mon (Post 1922849)
Did the desktop have NVIDIA graphics?

Because that's the only thing that could make a difference.

In the latest iteration of photoshop (read CS4), Adobe has used CUDA acceleration for a number of common tasks, which includes image zooming and panning. This is supported on NVIDIA graphics cards only.

So that explains it. No, mine is having ATI card.

For those looking for sturdy laptops, have a look at the Latitude series from Dell. In comparison, the Inspiron and Studio series appear flimsy.