Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-154.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1857448)
Woah! This is pretty expensive.

Is there a specific reason for sticking with the Business range? You can get a much better spec'd Inspiron for a lesser price.

At first look it is expensive but the biggest reason in going with this is the 3 year complete cover, Next Business Day on site Pro support. It covers the entire laptop except the battery. In our line of work the laptops travel frequently and face some pretty rugged environments which can lead to unintentional damage. The CC covers it all and replaces any damaged parts including the LCD. The other thing is the genuine OS which at this time has to be XP professional across the board. Almost all machines are coming only with Vista or 7 or no OS. Hence I would have to shell out for the XP in any case. Finally it is the screen which at 13.3" WXGA anti glare screen is ideal to carry around and to make one on one presentations.

Our other consideration was a Toshiba satellite with identical configuration but without OS @ 33000/- Add 6.5 K for genuine XP professional Add 5.8K for 2 years extra warranty (carry in and not CC) so you land up at 45.3 K.

If I consider the inspiron mentioned above with similar config but a better processor and one year CC available @ 36K then add up for 2 years extra CC @ 6.0K and 6.5 K for XP, my final price is 48.5 K. Even at this price I do not get the 13.3 Anti Glare Display which is usable outdoors and I also miss out on the Free Fall Sensor feature on the HDD.

I think the Vostro is par for the course, what do you say?

@lambuhere1

Get Dell's Blue tooth travel mouse it is great to use.

Oh!

It makes sense in that case. Most of the people I know do opt for the complete cover.
The anti-glare makes a lot of sense if you might be using the laptop outdoors. In fact, I personally hate the new glossy screens.

The only real advantages that the Inspirons would have over your config are the processor and the RAM.
As it is, these details are over-rated for people. :D

If planned for strictly official use, this config would serve you well for 3-4 years.

Are you committed to buying a genuine window's copy?

@Lambu

The complete cover is a good idea!

The McAfee is not very required. Free anti-virus softwares are available.

The Bag is sometimes thrown in as a part of a bargain deal. If you can get it like that, it'd be great. Else you can always buy something more tasteful from the markets.

Could you please do me a favor let me know what the Dell guys mean when they say that the GPU is :
Intel® HD Graphics (India)

What series is the GPU?

right now, the odds are that its a GMA 4500

That is what I thought as well.

But the 4500M HD whenever used is usually specified by the Dell guys. This is a description I have never seen before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1858239)
Oh!

The only real advantages that the Inspirons would have over your config are the processor and the RAM.
As it is, these details are over-rated for people. :D

Overrated is rightly said. My latitude has 4 Gb of RAM but it is useless as XP professional at best can use only 2 Gb.
4 Gb is useful only if one has the 64 bit versions of Vista or 7. I think these are the ones called 'Ultimate'

Quote:

If planned for strictly official use, this config would serve you well for 3-4 years.
That is what I thought too.

Quote:

Are you committed to buying a genuine window's copy?
Yes always.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 1858812)
Overrated is rightly said. My latitude has 4 Gb of RAM but it is useless as XP professional at best can use only 3 Gb.
4 Gb is useful only if one has the 64 bit versions of Vista or 7. I think these are the ones called 'Ultimate'

Very true! You can get 64 bit versions for the others as well, but a lot of apps have compatibility issues.

In any case, one would be hard put to utilize 4 GBs of RAM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 1858812)
Yes always.

That's a really nice thing. I would too, if it weren't so steeply priced. Plus, being a student doesn't help my cause. Ubuntu's good enough though!

I see you have changed the 2Gb of RAM in my post to 3Gb in your response.

Are you sure XP can use 3, if it can then it is a good thing that the new Vostro by default comes with 3 Gb.

Yes! It can... :)

4GB is technically supported but cant be used to due the way windows handles memory.

O.K. I did not know that.

Just an advice, the next time you are not quoting verbatim but editing other's posts do point it out or respond with a new phrase.

Ciao.

Really sorry.. I just did not want to seem to be nitpicking or something.

I am not really an expert anyways!

Apologize for the lil' snag.

Dell has some great deals these days!

Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor
• Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
• 4GB DDR3 SDRAM + 320GB* Hard Drive
• 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
Graphic Card
• 15.6" (39.6 cms) 720p WLED (1366x768) Display
with TrueLife™

@ 36.9k

• Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor
• Genuine Windows® 7 Home Basic
• 4GB DDR3 SDRAM + 500GB* Hard Drive
• 14" (35.5 cms) HD 720p LED (1366x768) Display
with TrueLife™

@ 34.9k

• Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
• 3GB DDR3 SDRAM + 320GB* Hard Drive
• 14" (35.5 cms) HD LED (1366x768) Display
with TrueLife™

@ 32.9k

• Genuine Windows® 7 Home Basic
• 3GB DDR3 SDRAM + 320GB* Hard Drive • 15.6" (39.6 cms) HD 720p WLED (1366x768) Display
with TrueLife™
@ 31.9k !

Now, what is the difference between WLED/LED/HD LED /HD screens?

Yup! They have some really nice deals these days.

Basic home computing and multimedia requirements can be easily covered by the Inspiron range. Really nice to see a successful DELL avoiding a product lineup stagnation.

Anyways, about the WLED/LED/HD LED/HD query.

WLED refers to White-Light emitting diodes. Basically in the case of WLEDs displays, the LCD screen is back-lit not be tiny tubes but lil' white LEDs strategically placed at the edges.
These reduces power consumption appreciably.

LED based screens come from a generation before the WLEDs. These screens use RGBLEDs for illumination. (Red-Green-Blue LEDs)
These also consume low power, but suffer in comparison with the WLED based ones wrt picture quality.

HD-LED and HD screens just refer to screens having atleast a 720p (1366*768) resolution capability.

Hello guys,
i am looking for a laptop with the following spec for my father. Kindly suggest models and price pls
1) Budget : 28K not a single penny more
2) Screen size : between 13" to 15.4" .. larger the better
3) Processor : core 2 duo, dual core or latest i330 whichever fits the budget
4) OS : win7 / vista / XP
5) Other criteria : weight and size doesnot matter as it will be used at home. primary uses will be MS office and internet. But It should be able to take Basic photoshop works and older games which were not very graphic intensive (like Age of empiresII, Tomb raider, NFS3 etc)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1859094)
Yes! It can... :)

4GB is technically supported but cant be used to due the way windows handles memory.

Only XP 64 bit supports 4 GB RAM. 32 bit version supports up to 3.5GB though you have 4 GB installed.

Guys .. i picked up Lenovo G450, B9Q model lappy with the following config @30.2K from Chenoy Trade Centre, Hyd.

Core2duo processor, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 14" Screen, Win7 Home premium, 320GB 5400rpm HDD, DVD Writer with lappy bag, mouse and headphone as free.

No dedicated graphics card.

Kindly comment if the price is ok?