Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-155.html)

pjbiju - try Google desktop search.

Which laptop brand is the most reliable in India? I have shortlisted Dell and Toshiba as they seem to be reliable according to reviews.

I have avoided Compaq as they seem to conk off more frequently than Dells in my office. What do you think?
Acer - not inclined to it somehow, is it reliable?
MSI/Gateway/other lesser known brands - not sure about the service/repair scenario, heard MSI service is good though.
Sony - too expensive (although there are a couple of cheaper models), bloatware a problem?
Lenovo - heard that the basic model's screen is not all that great.

Anyway, all that I need is a decent laptop under 30k, lower the better. Must have atleast 2 GB RAM, processor can be dual-core, 6-cell battery and should be reliable. Preferably 15 inch screen. I wanted to get a netbook for 20k but thought Ill put in a bit more for a notebook.

Any pointers to good deals?

There is a Toshiba Satellite L510-P401B (PSLF8G-01E004) for 25k
Specs:
Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400@ 2.2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 2GB DDR3Memory, 250GBSATA HDD @ 5400RPM, DVD RW Drive, LED Backlit based 14” CSV Hi-Definition Screen (200 nits), Wireless LAN, Ethernet, Multi-in-one Card Reader, Integrated Camera & Microphone, Leather Like Texture#Finish with Black TOPS pattern, No Operating System, 1 Year Limited Warranty

and a Toshiba Satellite Pro L510-D401A for 30k.
Specs: (C2D and 512MB graphics card)
https://www.toshiba-india.com/laptop...cal-specs.html

There is a Dell Studio 1737 for 30k. This is the older model with the dual-core processor.

There is also a MSI CR400 one similar specs to Toshiba Satellite L510-P401B for26k.

Which would you recommend? Does anyone have pointers to good deals. All these deals are from eBay.in

@Proxima

Off the top of my head I would suggest you look at the Inspiron 15R.

Search some more, there is a lot of variety in that price range nowadays.

IIRC the 15R should be around 31-32. Do give it a look.

Is anybody using Samsung laptops (not netbook)? Are they good?

Thanks EssYouWe. Many people recommend the Toshiba too. What do you think?

I am using HP Pavilion Entertainment Laptop (dv2601) for last 2 years. But I am not very happy with it. One of the hinges connecting display is broken, it gets too HOT (tried cleaning fan), its slow and DVD writer is not working. This is definitely going to dustbin soon. I am searching for a replacement which will take care of my needs e.g.

1. Good build quality still light-weight
2. Enough RAM and HDD space for normal use
3. HDMI, DVI, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi etc. most normal connectivity options
4. Service
5. Anything other than HP
6. Doesn't get very hot. I don't want to fry eggs.

My budget is 50K. Any suggestions? :)

Seeing that service is one of the key requirements, I doubt there is anything better than Dell in that area.

You can look at the Vostro range of business laptops. I have been told that the build quality is better than the Inspiron range. Incidentally, older (4-5 years) Inspirons boasted of great build quality.

Heating is usually dependent on the usage (what applications) and where you use your laptop. Avoid keeping it on a bed and all... If you are not into very gfx intensive apps, you shouldn't have a problem.

Incidentally the DV-5 and DV-6 series from HP are very prone to overheating.

Scout the market a little!

@Proxima

Toshiba is a great brand. They make some really good stuff, but then nothing beats Dell in after sales service.

I know I am sounding like a Dell fanboy! Actually I am one too, I am typing this on a 5 year old Inspiron which does not have as much as a dead pixel (apart from a non-functional battery).

Actually with the amount of headache laptops cause with their problems, I feel that after sales is what really counts for a lot of people.
Anyways enough rambling! Cheers!

Hi Friends,

Need Help. I bought an MSI U 210 Netbook recently to gift to my Dad. I am facing problems with wireless network connection I have at home for BSNL broadband. The MSI has a Ralink wireless 802.11bgn adaptor inbuilt. I don't get broadband speeds at all. I am able to surf normally for mails etc, but have never been able to download any applications over the broadband connection. Now using ethernet cable I get perfect speeds.

I also have a Dell inspiron 1525 which has a inbuilt Dell dual band wireless adaptor. The Dell wireless connection works great with exceptional speeds.

What could be wrong with my MSI. I have played with the wireless adaptor settings but none seem to work.

Need advice please.

-Rohit

Yesterday I got an Acer Aspire 4740 for my cousin with the below configuration,

Intel i3 330M/4GB DDRIII/320GB HDD/14" HD/ Webcam/BT/DVD+WR

Price : Rs 32,000/-
Freebies : Optical mouse, Rs200 discount on 8GB USB pen drive.

Win7 works great, it has amazing display.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meonbhp (Post 1871454)
I am using HP Pavilion Entertainment Laptop (dv2601) for last 2 years. But I am not very happy with it. One of the hinges connecting display is broken, it gets too HOT (tried cleaning fan), its slow and DVD writer is not working. This is definitely going to dustbin soon. I am searching for a replacement which will take care of my needs e.g.

1. Good build quality still light-weight
2. Enough RAM and HDD space for normal use
3. HDMI, DVI, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi etc. most normal connectivity options
4. Service
5. Anything other than HP
6. Doesn't get very hot. I don't want to fry eggs.

My budget is 50K. Any suggestions? :)

you should look for Dell Studio, buy some customized config which suits you.
they are also giving 1GB graphics card which makes it much smoother as no more system RAM Sharing and 1gigs make your movies and games smooth like butter.

One of my friend purchased the Dell C2D studio around a yr back and its really a amazing machine for around 50k

Quote:

Originally Posted by funda2max (Post 1872199)
Yesterday I got an Acer Aspire 4740 for my cousin with the below configuration,

Intel i3 330M/4GB DDRIII/320GB HDD/14" HD/ Webcam/BT/DVD+WR

Price : Rs 32,000/-
Freebies : Optical mouse, Rs200 discount on 8GB USB pen drive.

Win7 works great, it has amazing display.

not really a acer fan, but what made you decide on Acer as in that pricing you had option of Dell or compaq too

anything more than 3GB of RAM is useless unless you use a 64bit OS.

Hi Guys

With your kind inputs, I am going to get Dell Inspiron 15R this week. Primarily, it will be used by my SIL in the college for her studies. I bought a 2 year warranty from Dell.

I want to insure the said laptop.

Couple of questions.

1. Laptop was bought in my name, but will be used by my SIL. Does it make any difference to get insurance ?
2. Since I have 2 year warranty, which type of insurance would be a better choice [ breakage damage, theft etc ]
3. Lastly, which insurance provider is having any product that covers laptop insurance ? Prefer any provider who is true to its commitment ? What all documents do I need to submit to get the insurance coverage ?

Any guidance or help on the same is highly appreciated

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 1872719)
Hi Guys

With your kind inputs, I am going to get Dell Inspiron 15R this week. Primarily, it will be used by my SIL in the college for her studies. I bought a 2 year warranty from Dell.

I want to insure the said laptop.

Couple of questions.

1. Laptop was bought in my name, but will be used by my SIL. Does it make any difference to get insurance ?
2. Since I have 2 year warranty, which type of insurance would be a better choice [ breakage damage, theft etc ]
3. Lastly, which insurance provider is having any product that covers laptop insurance ? Prefer any provider who is true to its commitment ? What all documents do I need to submit to get the insurance coverage ?

Any guidance or help on the same is highly appreciated

Great choice!

I have absolutely no idea about insurance of laptops. But if your 2 year warranty is a *complete cover* one, then the breakage part is definitely not required. It covers any physical damage to your laptop.

I also do not think anyone will be very concerned with who buys and who uses.

My own systems are not so great, not required to be.
I had recently bought a Acer Travelmate 12' (6 series! - forgot the no, sorry) for my wife she uses that for normal browsing and to keep an eye on me (whether I'm online/available or not ;) ). That one is Core2Duo with 2GB RAM with DVDRW and running Windows 7 comfortably since not really used at max.

An old system I brought from Mumbai, its an Old p4 system that I'm planning to give away to an orphanage - nothing much to talk about the config on that (except, thats the system I put the pinnacle card and firewire for some serious streaming purpose 5 years back).

Other systems with me (personal use but given by co.).
Lenovo T400 with 4GBRAM - 160GB HDD - Core2Due P9500 - 2.53GHz each << This is a decent notebook and I like the build quality of lenovo, serves the purpose well.
I'm planning to get the RAM upto 8Gb and put external HDD if I decide to put more VMs on this one.

Got two HP worksations xw4400 and xw6600 with 4GB ram, one Dell Precission 390 with 4GB and recently got one HP z800 with higher configuration for VMs and lots of labs.
Z800 seems to be a good one with 32GB and 1TB - 2xXeon Quad core E5506 - planning to do a lot with this guy - lets see.

Thanks for the response. I have decided to order Dell Studio 15 (S541019IN8). :thumbs up

Config:

Intel Core i7-720QM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
4GB (2GBx2) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
500GB 7200RPM HDD
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Creative Sound Blaster

With 2 years complete cover accidental damage protection will make me poorer by: ~56K

It will be slightly overweight but its perfect for my need. I do a lot of multitasking. Also getting Balkin Laptop cooler so I can use lappy in bed :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1872934)
But if your 2 year warranty is a *complete cover* one, then the breakage part is definitely not required. It covers any physical damage to your laptop.

I also do not think anyone will be very concerned with who buys and who uses.

Mine is not a "Complete Cover Package " . SIL limited her budget to 30 K, but I stretched it a bit to get Inspiron 15R.

Help needed for Insurance buy please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by meonbhp (Post 1873506)
Thanks for the response. I have decided to order Dell Studio 15 (S541019IN8).

This will be my personal choice If I need to buy 1. Love the specs.

there are better deals to be had on coolermaster latop coolers :)
the CM notepal infinite is sold for ~1.5k