Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-152.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1821880)
i need to get myself a laptop ( personally i hate laptops, but I need to get one since I'm joining a B school)

since you will be carrying a bag for rest of your stuff anyway, don't need to skimp on size, go for 13-15 inch. Netbooks are portable but a pain to view and type for a long time.

read these when you get time.
Vivek's weblog: Laptop - a distraction
Vivek's weblog: on laptop security, backup and restore

Quote:

i need to get myself a laptop ( personally i hate laptops, but I need to get one since I'm joining a B school)

Big question - what screen size? 13", 14" or 15" ? I've used all sizes. 13"ers are great when you need to be on the move, but suck when it com to usage. 15"ers are great for usablity, but their portablity sucks.

This is more a question of what sort of usage would be involved in the average 2 year B school stint?

Get a BIG screen. Trust me, you would curse yourself later if you skimp on the screen size now. You don't need to carry the laptop to the classroom everyday... pen & paper will always be the best way to take notes. What you'll need the laptop for is for writing reports, making presentations and googling. And if you have a decent LAN setup on campus, you'll have tons and tons of movies, music and other 'stuff' for consumption - which would ideally call for a big screen, a good soundcard and a nice GPU (what with HD being the rage nowadays :))

Cheers

Hey all,

We are a family of eight members, all have their own netbooks, some have notebooks and netbooks. I personally prefer netbooks because, I am not a big guy, though muscular. My hands fit on the 90% keyboard. My model has a battery standby time of 10 hours and its only a little over 1000 gms. I dont need a dvd drive now. I am happy with 3GB ram, 1.6 GHZ processor, 320 GB hard drive. Most of my usb ports are always connected.

I am heavily addicted to internet, cannot do a day without it, so have netbooks, notebooks all around.

There is no real performance issue comparable to a notebook deficit. I have a Asus eeepc 1008HA, Lenovo 22G4 14 inch laptop, rest other members have HP and Dell netbooks. We use wifi, bsnl evdo, broadband and gprs (edge) internet connections at home and office.

Quote:

Big question - what screen size? 13", 14" or 15" ? I've used all sizes. 13"ers are great when you need to be on the move, but suck when it com to usage. 15"ers are great for usablity, but their portablity sucks.

This is more a question of what sort of usage would be involved in the average 2 year B school stint?

Congratulations which school BTW ?

Portability and robustness is very very important for your use case.
A laptop seems light on the shoulders for first 30 min and then it gets heavier so you need something which you can lug around.

You will mostly need it for presentations , data mining , preparing reports etc apart from entertainment.

You will not be using it for gaming or programming so a very high end CPU is not required.

So look for following parameters.

1. Battery life
2. Total weight
3. You should be able to comfortably run PowerPoint with all the animation etc on this.

Macbook Air is ideal if you have budget but since you do not necessarily nead it I think even an atom based net-book with SSD fits the bill in your case.

About 12, 13 or 15 inch it is just getting used to it.

PS : Buy a USB Keyboard and an external drive for storage and back up which you can leave in your room instead of buying a bigger heavier laptop.

Acer 5740G
Intel i5-430
500GB
4GB DDR3
Radeon 5650

Smooth DVD playback, good display, good for games (been playing GRID), its very silent no fancy skirt blowing fans.

But i had to get the mobo replaced due to a sound problem. Now its okay.

Just got myself a HP mini with N450 atom with windows 7 starter for 17K as a b'day present for myself. I am surprised by how comfortable I am with it. MS office, web browsing and basic movie, music playback are a breeze. Now I can easily postpone my desktop purchase for a little while now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_V (Post 1828847)
Acer 5740G
Intel i5-430
500GB
4GB DDR3
Radeon 5650

Smooth DVD playback, good display, good for games (been playing GRID), its very silent no fancy skirt blowing fans.

But i had to get the mobo replaced due to a sound problem. Now its okay.

Is the cooling efficient? I heard it was prone to overheating. Please throw some light on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1829775)
Is the cooling efficient? I heard it was prone to overheating. Please throw some light on that.

Just watched a movie for 1.5 hours yesterday and there was no problem with instability (due to overheating). I dont know how much heat the laptops are allowed to generate. Ofcourse there is heat emitting from the right top vent.

And I dont place the laptop on bed.

A movie (non-HD?) wouldn't heat it up much.

Can you game continuously for 1.5 hours?

Well, i couldnt try that. I bought it for my bro-in-law. I parted with it on Sunday, now killing time during power cuts is going to be difficult.

The reviews are out though. Anandtech has done a review. Its on newegg too.

Looking for a laptop, budget is a maximum of 60K.

Minimum spec needed:

Intel i7 720QM / 820QM or 920XM :D
250 GB SATA HDD with at least 7200 rpm
5.6 " Full HD(1080p) TFT-LCD / WLED Display
3GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 (1GB) or similar graphics card.
Preferably 1 year complete cover warranty.

Can anyone please suggest any brands and models? Currently I customized Dell(TM) Studio 15 Laptop (S541036IN8) to match these specs, the price stands at 62,083 INR, which is slightly above the budget. (This is with the lowest processor I listed - 720QM)

Is there any other brand which can offer the same spec for less price?

^^ There is no other officially available i7 laptop in India other than Dell and Sony imo and the latter being exorbitantly priced. There is another model in Dell Studio 15 which costs less than Rs.60,000/- but with a lower graphics card and bigger hard disk.

If large multitasking not the key, I would suggest an i5 which is dual core but a newer platform which consumes lot less power. If i5 is your choice, all the other competing brands come into the equation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 1843712)
Looking for a laptop, budget is a maximum of 60K.

Minimum spec needed:

Intel i7 720QM / 820QM or 920XM :D
250 GB SATA HDD with at least 7200 rpm
5.6 " Full HD(1080p) TFT-LCD / WLED Display
3GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 (1GB) or similar graphics card.
Preferably 1 year complete cover warranty.

Can anyone please suggest any brands and models? Currently I customized Dell(TM) Studio 15 Laptop (S541036IN8) to match these specs, the price stands at 62,083 INR, which is slightly above the budget. (This is with the lowest processor I listed - 720QM)

Is there any other brand which can offer the same spec for less price?

HP dv6t 15.6" i7 Quad Core 1.6GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, 1GB NVid G230M, BluRay/DVDRW, Win7-

:D

Less than 50k

Clever? 5.6?

Guys, Need help for a laptop for my SIL [ Sis in Law ]

Being a core mech guy, I don't have any information on the same. I am a noob in this domain

It shall be used in college, bascially for documentation, data mining etc. No games or high end programming usage.

Budgeted around INR 30 K.

Would very much appreciate if anyone can guide me to the right direction w.r.t brands and specs please .

Looking for a bigger screen to watch movies :-{ [ minimum requirement ]

Thanks a ton

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 1823689)
Congratulations which school BTW ?

Portability and robustness is very very important for your use case.
A laptop seems light on the shoulders for first 30 min and then it gets heavier so you need something which you can lug around.

You will mostly need it for presentations , data mining , preparing reports etc apart from entertainment.

You will not be using it for gaming or programming so a very high end CPU is not required.

So look for following parameters.

1. Battery life
2. Total weight
3. You should be able to comfortably run PowerPoint with all the animation etc on this.

Macbook Air is ideal if you have budget but since you do not necessarily nead it I think even an atom based net-book with SSD fits the bill in your case.

About 12, 13 or 15 inch it is just getting used to it.

PS : Buy a USB Keyboard and an external drive for storage and back up which you can leave in your room instead of buying a bigger heavier laptop.

Thanks,
Have zeroed down to the MSI CR 400X. seems to be a good compromise!
The institute is in orissa :D