Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-156.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by meonbhp (Post 1873506)
Dell Studio 15 (S541019IN8). :thumbs up

Config:

Intel Core i7-720QM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
4GB (2GBx2) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
500GB 7200RPM HDD
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Creative Sound Blaster

With 2 years complete cover accidental damage protection will make me poorer by: ~56K

It will be slightly overweight but its perfect for my need. I do a lot of multitasking. Also getting Balkin Laptop cooler so I can use lappy in bed :D

You should consider upgrading Video card to 1GB, it will cost ~ Rs1000/- more, but produces amazing results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghpk (Post 1872597)

not really a acer fan, but what made you decide on Acer as in that pricing you had option of Dell or compaq too

anything more than 3GB of RAM is useless unless you use a 64bit OS.

Yes, I have installed Win7Pro 64 bit to utilize 4 GB RAM. Dell has good models, but it is marginally higher priced (3K more). Compaq has only few models in i3/i5 processors in the market. They still market C2D very much...

Quote:

Originally Posted by funda2max (Post 1873753)
You should consider upgrading Video card to 1GB, it will cost ~ Rs1000/- more, but produces amazing results.

Will you be playing games and stuff?

In any case rather than the 1GB, I think moving to 5470 HD will be better. IIRC its DX 11 compliant.

Depends completely on the requirements.

Mind-numbing specs otherwise! What will you do with so much computing power! :D

Toshiba in general will be expensive in terms of pricing and also in terms of service. However, build quality is better than Dell and Compaq.

I have used all three brands.

>>

There is also a MSI CR400 one similar specs to Toshiba Satellite L510-P401B for26k.

Which would you recommend? Does anyone have pointers to good deals. All these deals are from eBay.in[/quote]

I want to buy a 14" laptop more like the configuaration of Dell's Studio 14" Range. Light, Thin and powerful and good design.

I am looking at Acer Timeline X series. I like the Design but I cannot find it anywhere in NCR. Anyone knows where can i find one and if anyone has any reviews.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proxima (Post 1867123)
pjbiju - try Google desktop search.

Which laptop brand is the most reliable in India? I have shortlisted Dell and Toshiba as they seem to be reliable according to reviews.

I have avoided Compaq as they seem to conk off more frequently than Dells in my office. What do you think?
Acer - not inclined to it somehow, is it reliable?
MSI/Gateway/other lesser known brands - not sure about the service/repair scenario, heard MSI service is good though.
Sony - too expensive (although there are a couple of cheaper models), bloatware a problem?
Lenovo - heard that the basic model's screen is not all that great.

Anyway, all that I need is a decent laptop under 30k, lower the better. Must have atleast 2 GB RAM, processor can be dual-core, 6-cell battery and should be reliable. Preferably 15 inch screen. I wanted to get a netbook for 20k but thought Ill put in a bit more for a notebook.

Any pointers to good deals?

There is a Toshiba Satellite L510-P401B (PSLF8G-01E004) for 25k
Specs:
Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400@ 2.2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 2GB DDR3Memory, 250GBSATA HDD @ 5400RPM, DVD RW Drive, LED Backlit based 14” CSV Hi-Definition Screen (200 nits), Wireless LAN, Ethernet, Multi-in-one Card Reader, Integrated Camera & Microphone, Leather Like Texture#Finish with Black TOPS pattern, No Operating System, 1 Year Limited Warranty

and a Toshiba Satellite Pro L510-D401A for 30k.
Specs: (C2D and 512MB graphics card)
https://www.toshiba-india.com/laptop...cal-specs.html

There is a Dell Studio 1737 for 30k. This is the older model with the dual-core processor.

There is also a MSI CR400 one similar specs to Toshiba Satellite L510-P401B for26k.

Which would you recommend? Does anyone have pointers to good deals. All these deals are from eBay.in

Bought the Toshiba Satellite L510-P401B for 24.5k from the Toshiba Chennai distributor. It looks very nice and is said to be reliable. Cant expect more for the price!

Active Tiny Laptops Old no 198 new no 442 TTK Road, Near Park Sheraton Hotel, Alwarpet - 18
Mr. G.David Rajesh

Refer my name (Benjamin) to get the 500rs off. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by meonbhp (Post 1873506)
Thanks for the response. I have decided to order Dell Studio 15 (S541019IN8). :thumbs up

Config:

Intel Core i7-720QM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
4GB (2GBx2) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
500GB 7200RPM HDD
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Creative Sound Blaster

With 2 years complete cover accidental damage protection will make me poorer by: ~56K

It will be slightly overweight but its perfect for my need. I do a lot of multitasking. Also getting Balkin Laptop cooler so I can use lappy in bed :D

Congrats you made a good choice.
before placing the order, do call dell call center, they are mostly running some promo scheme which can save you some money for sure.
if possible and have time subscribe to their e-mail promotional offer, you'll get new deals every few days.

Also i've seen ordering it online gets you latest hardware configs which may not have touched the local retailers yet.

Bought a sony vaio vpceb16FG, i3-330, 4 gb dd3 Ram, 500 gb 5400 rpm hard disk, Full HD 15.6 screen for 48,500 rs in Mumbai. Got a Vaio carrycase along with it. I bought the glossy coconut white color. Its been only a day of usage, but its been good till now. It came with win 7 premium 64 bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proxima (Post 1874639)
Bought the Toshiba Satellite L510-P401B for 24.5k from the Toshiba Chennai distributor. It looks very nice and is said to be reliable. Cant expect more for the price!

Active Tiny Laptops Old no 198 new no 442 TTK Road, Near Park Sheraton Hotel, Alwarpet - 18
Mr. G.David Rajesh

Refer my name (Benjamin) to get the 500rs off. :)

Do talk through the Warranty with the dealer. If you have not

Toshiba India is very shabby on this. SO is HP.

Hey Guys, New to this thread here.

Here are the laptops I own and still possess -

Late 2006 - 17in ASUS laptop, Intel Centrino Mobile 2.4Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, and the usuals. Raped it for 4 years and it still kicks a$$. Bought it from the US and the size is huge!

2009 - Bought Sony Viao CS17 Shiney Red for my wife. 14" screen, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB, NVIDYA GeForce 9600 inbuilt and the usuals. Its a good girl laptop. After a year + of usage, the only complaint is the fan gets stuck due to dust or for some other reason, and the laptop fails to boot. Get it checked with the center, and its back up and running.

2010 - HP TouchSmart TM2 tablet - had enough with the iPad hype, just bought my self a real tablet with touchscreen. 12" multi touch screen, Intel 1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 (upgradeable to 8GB), 512MB ATI RAdeon Graphics + GPU, 500GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium, Pressure Sensitive Stylus included, Webcam, 4x USB, HDMI out, Ext Lightscribe DVD writer. Also bought an ex Sony BluRay player and the tablet plays it ultra smoothly! I use the HDMI out to connect it to my TV and works great! And if I lack anything with the tablet, I just remote desktop to my PC and voila...everything else is on there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1846944)
HP dv6t 15.6" i7 Quad Core 1.6GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, 1GB NVid G230M, BluRay/DVDRW, Win7-
Less than 50k
Clever? 5.6?

typo Sir... 15.6 inch. :)

I am also looking for a portable laptop/netbook. Will be used only at home. 95% of usage will be for browsing. What's the cheapest one I can find?

Also, I already have a licensed copy of Windows XP - do any of the vendors sell a laptop without an OS or with just FreeDOS or something like that, so that I can install my copy of XP on it?

just got myself a fully loaded inspiron R for 48.2k. can post the specifics if anyone is interested

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 1901369)
I am also looking for a portable laptop/netbook. Will be used only at home. 95% of usage will be for browsing. What's the cheapest one I can find?

Also, I already have a licensed copy of Windows XP - do any of the vendors sell a laptop without an OS or with just FreeDOS or something like that, so that I can install my copy of XP on it?

Be careful with the drivers. Most laptops these days do *not* officially support XP. Hence getting XP working with all your hardware (e.g. inbuilt webcam etc) optimally, might be a challenge for a non-techie. Just google if someone already has got XP installed on the model of your choice (or better still, if the vendor allows you to download drivers for XP from their website).
I believe HP India and Lenovo do sell laptops with FreeDOS or Linux.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1901588)
just got myself a fully loaded inspiron R for 48.2k. can post the specifics if anyone is interested

Cool. Thought you got the MSI? Bought online?

Hewlett-Packard recalling 54K laptop batteries
Hewlett-Packard recalling 54K laptop batteries

There goes HP/Compaq again!

So, I placed the order and waiting for the delivery. The web site says manufacturing build complete :)

Dell(TM) Studio 15 Laptop
Intel® Core™ i7 Processor - quad core, 8 threads
4GB (2GBx2) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (Work at 1066MHz for Intel Arrandale CPU)
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 - 1GB
320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit + some latest patch
Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
1 Year Complete Cover Accidental Damage Protection
15.6 " Full HD(1080p) WLED (1920 x 1080)Display with TrueLife™ (I love this line) :)
Wireless BT Stereo Headset (comes free with a Rs. 900 Antivirus package)

for a price of INR 61K.