Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-150.html)

Thanks very much spookey. that was very good information you have provided. It really helped!

But again extranal drive costs some 3K, so total cost of Netbook comes to 21 - 22K. So i am thinking why not add say 6K more and go for some other proper laptop

Any one else can please pour in some more suggestions on net book?

OT

I have done big TYPO here. mentioning 1.666 MHZ for the processor Speed. its 1.666 GHZ

Sorry for the typo.

Being an electronics engineer, i am not supposed to do with these kind of typo :p

But now a days reading microcontroller books for time pass, so scaled down to Mhz level from Ghz lol:

I have heard lots of issues from DELL laptops like keyboard, battery and hard-disk failure from my colleagues and friends.

Anyone facing/heard such issues?

I do not recommend DELL to anyone instead I go for lenovo, HP, Sony, etc.

I have heard similar issue with HP as well especially over heating problem with HP. Also graphics card of my friends HP laptop also had failed!

found this interesting product from dell . The alienware m11x. Its an ultra portable gaming laptop. its just 11.1 inches, with 1gb nvidia gt 335 graphics.Not sure about the indian price. its about 1000$ outside. Alienware M11x Laptop Details | Dell India

Quote:

Originally Posted by devrajman (Post 1764045)
I have heard lots of issues from DELL laptops like keyboard, battery and hard-disk failure from my colleagues and friends.

I have been using Dell laptops since 2002 when I got my first personal laptop. I found it to be quite good. My major concern has been the life of battery and optical drive. The hdd has never failed. That said, they do not have the latest technology incoprorated in their machines. Even the current set of laptops do not have a USB 3 port!!stupid:

Here is my first opinion on Netbooks. I bought one 2 days back from Delhi - Nehru Place - SAMSUNG N210 - Specs are -

1.66 Ghz Intel Atom N450
1 GB Ram, 160 GB HDD, Win 7 Starter and other softwares all come included. Most of them trial so not good for long term or corporate usage. Fine for a student / Internet User

The biggest reason I bought a netbok was compactness and lightweight ( 1.2 kilos ) with good battery power.

The Samsung N210 has me blown away with it's battery performance and other things like keyboard and Webcam & USB ( It can charge a USB operated mobile / MP3 player without switching on the computer ) That to me is excellent !

The Display for starters is excellent and build quality is top notch. The Battery on one charge has given me more than 6 hours already !! And still shows 2 hours. This is with moderate net usage and lot of downloading and configuring softwares for first time use. Also copying on my existing documents via Pen Drive.

The company says it gives 11 hours which I would say is not a far off claim !! I would say on moderate net usage and documents / pics working it should give between 7 - 8 hours.

It has a 6 cell battery.

Win 7 Starter to me is not that great and I do not like it much. I use the hyperspace software which comes with Samsung and one can login without waiting for the whole OS to boot. I guess its a Dual OS based on Linux. But excellent internet compatibity. Facebook, Gmail, Browsing and Skype comes standard with it.

Anyone looking for a netbook kindly give the Samsung N210 a serious thought.
The price - well I got a special deal thanks to a close friend here on TBHP :D BUT I would say one can bargain and get it for about 19k or so.

I just noticed in Win 7 Starter Edition that I got with my Samsung Netbook.

You CANNOT change the desktop background / wallpaper :Frustrati

No way to get about it. I have already spent an hour on the internet trying to get it solved. there are aftermarket installations like stardock mycolour BUT it is another whole new software of 100 mb on your netbook. Not worth it !

Will just have to ugrade to Win 7 Home Premium for 3000 Rs !!

Quote:

I have been using Dell laptops since 2004, some models are quite good (Ex Latitude D600, 610) and some are worst in the world (D620, 630). Later models have all these issues like Noice, Heat, battery failure, hard disk, motherboard, memory failures, etc.. ..

IBM Thinkpad and HP models are quite good.

I would greatly appreciate it anyone helps me out. PLEASE !!

I bought a Acer 5740G:
Core-i5
500GB
4GB DDR3
Windows 7

The speakers are producing noise when certain music is played. Its one of the high frequencies.
Example: "pyaar yeh jaane kaise" from rangeela, the first few seconds.

After the Acer technician listened to it (at the service center in Lanford Rd), he said its not a hardware problem but software problem.

He proceeded to restore the default settings for Windows 7 after bootup.
I dont think its a winamp problem (the equaliser settings are not at the maximum setting).Anyone has such issues with Windows 7 ?

Please suggest what I should do if the problem persists?

Please help.

VPCEB14EN : E Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

Reviews please.

i had been using Hp TX1003au for last 3 years.overall it was agreat notebook with all features in it which yoy can even think for a laptop. but problems started within first year of ownership, screen changed twice under warranty, CD drive changed under warranty, wireless failed, motherboard changed under warranty, again now last month wireless failed and the laptop doesnt boot. now its outta warranty so dont want to spend anything on it because i know its just not gonna work.i wouldn't recommend HP to anyone after this. so bought Sony VAiO now.

VPCCW25FN : CW Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

How much did you get it for finally?

How good is Acer 532h with the following config for 16500/-? Saw this in today's Times Of India

Intel Atom N450
XP Home
1 GB RAM
160 GB HDD
Webcam/Bluetooth/WiFi/Card reader

Quote:

Of course this happens with Dell and can happen with anyone. My brother has a Dell laptop and his 15 mth old son has already chewed away one keyboard. He had to get a replacement. Could be many reasons. I bought a second hand Dell Inspiron (2005) from my brother in 2007 (when his son was not born) and even that had some keys missing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_V (Post 1772872)
I would greatly appreciate it anyone helps me out. PLEASE !!

I bought a Acer 5740G:
Core-i5
500GB
4GB DDR3
Windows 7

The speakers are producing noise when certain music is played. Its one of the high frequencies.
Example: "pyaar yeh jaane kaise" from rangeela, the first few seconds.

After the Acer technician listened to it (at the service center in Lanford Rd), he said its not a hardware problem but software problem.

He proceeded to restore the default settings for Windows 7 after bootup.
I dont think its a winamp problem (the equaliser settings are not at the maximum setting).Anyone has such issues with Windows 7 ?

Please suggest what I should do if the problem persists?

Please help.

I feel this is a software problem. First check that the song you have is a good quality copy not a low bit rate mp3. If this is ok then you can check if there is a new driver for your sound card and install it.