Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-157.html)

@clevermax, does this machine (feels inadequate to call it a machine, but for choice of better word)......does this one come with a dedicated numeric keypad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1901652)
Cool. Thought you got the MSI? Bought online?

Hewlett-Packard recalling 54K laptop batteries
Hewlett-Packard recalling 54K laptop batteries

There goes HP/Compaq again!

the MSI dealer changed his rates at the last minute.

plus dell has better warranty support. Bought
i3 530M
512MB 5470
4MB RAM
500GB HDD
Red LCD cover
Laser mouse
ep 630
BH 200
9 cell battery
3 year CC

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofromcapone (Post 1901842)
@clevermax, does this machine (feels inadequate to call it a machine, but for choice of better word)......does this one come with a dedicated numeric keypad?

Well.. to be honest, I don't know. :) You mean an extra numeric keypad besides the actual keypad or numeric keypad integrated into the laptop itself?

and why do we need to call it a machine? stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1901952)
plus dell has better warranty support. Bought
i3 530M
512MB 5470
4MB RAM
500GB HDD
Red LCD cover
Laser mouse
ep 630
BH 200
9 cell battery
3 year CC

How much greeny?

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1901588)
just got myself a fully loaded inspiron R for 48.2k. can post the specifics if anyone is interested

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 1901987)

How much greeny?

there ya go!. how much discount did you get ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1902036)
there ya go!. how much discount did you get ?

Hmm.. I was unaware of the discount when I ordered the laptop. The Dell guy asked my company details and told me that I am getting 5% discount!

Is that matte Red? My Inspiron has that color!

Hi,

Congratulations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 1901952)
3 year CC

Good for you!

@clevermax

Congratulations.

Here in Alleppey, the service technician lands on the 6th day. Hope it is better in your places, when you need them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trrk (Post 1902400)
@clevermax

Congratulations.

Here in Alleppey, the service technician lands on the 6th day. Hope it is better in your places, when you need them.

Thanks Dr.
well it takes even 3 or 4 days in Cochin as well. :) (My experience) But I won't say Dell service is bad.

Any idea how do you get discounts while buying a Dell online ? Someone, I think it was GTO, mentioned somewhere you can get upto 10%-20% if you call them.

Guys just ordered the newly launched(as in on-sale) HP dv7t Select Edition Series Base price: $850 (Rs.39,100/-)

Configured it as:

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Quad Core processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
$100 OFF! 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
[For Dual Core Processors only] 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics
17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Infinity Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
[For BrightView Infinity Display] HP TrueVision Webcam + Fingerprint Reader + Digital Microphone
Intel Wireless-N Card
Full-size island-style keyboard with integrated numeric keypad
9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (over-sized)
Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Bold showing the customization from base spec.

Price: $1530 (Rs.70,380/-)

After Bing Cash Back(25%) $1147 (Rs.52,760/-)

As is obvious-the buy is from HP-DIRECT, USA. Brother is getting it home on the 13th of June!

Gen-4 changes:

-aluminium chassis
-laser etched design
-large multi gesture touch pad with non click buttons
-beats audio with subwoofer
-chick-let style island keyboard
-low light webcam
-stereo microphones

TOR; what about warranty? I can point out 3 people I know who has issues with HP battery within an year. Read my last post?

And never buy just launched products. My bro's lap had a product recall! Didnt know till we took it for repair!.

clever! that's a lap or desktop?

@jkdas: It's a lappy, check out the laptop config posted by TOR above, mine is slightly inferior to that, except the display :)
But being a PP person, do you think I'll compromise on display anyway? :D

That is a very awesome machine.

I was dying to buy it, as I was in the market for a new notebook. This is like GOD! Awesome money v/s returns ratio. I mean nothing beats it in the market today.

It has been around for a while now... No new problems have surfaced, apart from the general DV series heating and battery issues.

I begged my parents to let me get this, but it was a firm no for things with no warranty. And well, experience has taught me not to argue with their intuition. :D

So, now I guess I'll get the Studio 15.

By the way...

Anyone got any tips on how to get a better discount from Dell?

Also, I am looking for a machine which plays DX11 games with decent fluency at medium settings. Budget would top out at 50. I am a strong believer in investing in complete cover (at least 2 years).

jk-warranty was one issue that i mulled over.

Asus was my first choice because of the 2 year global warranty and the 1 year full accidental replacement warranty and the model i zeroed in was the Asus G73JH-x3. It had a 1080P screen and the monster ATI 5870 graphics card. But the price at over 75K(after all possible discounts) was a big no.

I do have relatives travelling to the US in between and so getting the lappy for some warranty claims wont be an issue.It does come with 1 year standard US warranty.

The battery woes seems to have been sorted by the massive recall that HP is doing right now.

Also the previous concerns regarding heating also seems to have been solved as evident in a review on the dmv4t series.

The Bing Cash back at 25% that HP offered for 48 hours-overlapped with the new launch products for the last 6-8 hours.This 25% discount was hard to ignore. The BCB has since gone back to 10%. The discount was the main reason for buying the laptop.

Also whether this is a laptop or a desktop question-this is a desktop replacement laptop ! LOL

@clevermax-Plan to use it for some gaming and routine work and hence opted for the lower resolution screen, otherwise the obvious option is the Envy 17.

I was looking for bigger screen laptops, something in the range 17''. I found Dell Vostro 3700 series at 50K. Any feedback on this model?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1859390)
Anyways, about the WLED/LED/HD LED/HD query.
WLED refers to White-Light emitting diodes.

True, but Dell would like to call it widescreen-LED for some reason!! :D (Which is non-sense IMO)

Name:  wled.PNG
Views: 344
Size:  68.3 KB

Check out this link.