Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2014, 00:50   #4141

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Hmmm. Thank you. I researched a little bit. Softwares like AutoCAD and SketchUp require just basic dedicated graphics card but softwares like 3ds Max and Lumion require a pretty capable Graphics card to function well it seems.
I think I can opt for accidental coverage from Lenovo India. Have to check that. I will keep this for 4 year and I'm sure these softwares will work flawlessly since even very intensive games work really well.
First thing you should do after getting it is, get rid off that 24gb SSD. It will be useless to use it as a cache. Install a 120gb or more SSD in its place.

Oh btw, make sure your uncle calls up lenovo support over there and gets the recovery disks for it.

Use the recovery disks and install everything back to the new SSD. Viola! you now have a fully functional super fast Windows 8.1 system and a 1tb hdd for storage. Trust me, I am using an SSD on 8.1 right now and it makes a gigantic difference. just not that 24gb one which comes standard. That will be pre-configured as a cache drive. a waste of ssd. Also, you can't jsut swap it out for another SSD. Thats why I said you need the recovery disks
Old 18th May 2014, 14:14   #4142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifightforuser31 View Post
First thing you should do after getting it is, get rid off that 24gb SSD. It will be useless to use it as a cache. Install a 120gb or more SSD in its place.

Oh btw, make sure your uncle calls up lenovo support over there and gets the recovery disks for it.

Use the recovery disks and install everything back to the new SSD. Viola! you now have a fully functional super fast Windows 8.1 system and a 1tb hdd for storage. Trust me, I am using an SSD on 8.1 right now and it makes a gigantic difference. just not that 24gb one which comes standard. That will be pre-configured as a cache drive. a waste of ssd. Also, you can't jsut swap it out for another SSD. Thats why I said you need the recovery disks
Oh wow. Thanks a lot! That's a lot of info. But I'm afraid whether I can afford a 120 GB SSD at the moment :( Being a student and funding this myself, I'm kinda bankrupt :P I'l try to get it somehow. So with that, this lap should be usable for a looong time if used and maintained well I suppose. Can I do this SSD swap after some months as I don't think I can afford it presently. And I can increase the Graphics to 4GB by getting rid of the DVD drive anytime i want too. I called up Lenovo. Extended warranty is applicable in India too but Accidental Protection is not. So I guess I'l take insurance for my lap from New India or something. That'l be helpful right??

Cheers!
Old 18th May 2014, 16:44   #4143

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Oh wow. Thanks a lot! That's a lot of info. But I'm afraid whether I can afford a 120 GB SSD at the moment :( Being a student and funding this myself, I'm kinda bankrupt :P I'l try to get it somehow. So with that, this lap should be usable for a looong time if used and maintained well I suppose. Can I do this SSD swap after some months as I don't think I can afford it presently. And I can increase the Graphics to 4GB by getting rid of the DVD drive anytime i want too. I called up Lenovo. Extended warranty is applicable in India too but Accidental Protection is not. So I guess I'l take insurance for my lap from New India or something. That'l be helpful right??

Cheers!
Yup as long as you discharge the battery properly. Don't always use it when connected to power source or your battery will die in a years time. You can do the SSD swap anytime, but you will have to do a factory reset of your laptop with the SSD in the drive bay and no other drives in there. It will work. good stuff about the extended warranty, it quite nice to have it here. Enjoy your laptop.
Old 20th May 2014, 09:44   #4144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifightforuser31 View Post
Yup as long as you discharge the battery properly. Don't always use it when connected to power source or your battery will die in a years time. You can do the SSD swap anytime, but you will have to do a factory reset of your laptop with the SSD in the drive bay and no other drives in there. It will work. good stuff about the extended warranty, it quite nice to have it here. Enjoy your laptop.
Thank you

But right now have an issue here. While placing the order, it showed that the laptop will be shipped in 1 to 3 business days. But right now, the estimated date of delivery is 18th of June!! And my uncle is leaving US on 4th of june . I'm trying to talk and find some solution with their support team. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 21st May 2014, 15:25   #4145
BHPian

I have a 3 1/2 year old sony vaio with 1 GB ATI dedicated graphics. It's a VCPE model with 3 GB RAM. Any idea if i can change the graphics to a better one? The local laptop repair shop guy told me that i wont be able to do this since it is somehow connected to the BIOS or something. Appreciate some clarifications or responses
Old 21st May 2014, 16:54   #4146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I have a 3 1/2 year old sony vaio with 1 GB ATI dedicated graphics. It's a VCPE model with 3 GB RAM. Any idea if i can change the graphics to a better one? The local laptop repair shop guy told me that i wont be able to do this since it is somehow connected to the BIOS or something. Appreciate some clarifications or responses
No mate, laptop graphics cannot be upgraded
Old 24th May 2014, 15:08   #4147
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

So finally I found a super deal on a new macbook Air 11 inch for Dad. 59900/- including Office for Mac loaded in. Croma, if you want to know.
He is happy to move over from Windows and the best thing is that all the other iDevices that he uses will finally get in sync...the purrfect Father's Day Gift I think.
Old 25th May 2014, 04:50   #4148
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Saw that there are 11 offers on Amazon.in for MacBook Air 4GB RAM and 128 GB SSD for Rs 49900/-. Add another Rs 5K and you will get MS Office for Mac too.

Flipkart has one offer for Rs 55000/-. Again you have to buy Office for Mac.

Nett result looks like all the various prices across these reputed sites and retail stores are quite competitive indeed.
Old 27th May 2014, 11:50   #4149
BHPian

So finally bought a Lenovo Y510p after lots and lots of searching around. I was actually against Lenovo in the beginning but it offers the best value and I did see people owning it for a long time. So I thought I'l anyway try it.

The specifications are:

-Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz Processor (upto 3.4GHz with turbo)
-8GB DDR3 RAM (extendable upto 16GB)
-1TB HDD + 8 GB SSD
-Full HD display
-Nvidia GeForce 755M 2 GB + Nvidia GeForce 755M 2GB in Ultrabay (so 4 GB in total!)
-Windows 8.1

My uncle bought it from US Amazon and the price is 1054 $ with taxes (around 61k). I found it really worth as the indian y510p lacks some features in this plus you don't get the ultrabay accessories in India. My configuration will not have an DVD writer as that's where the additional Graphics card has got into. I can replace it with an HDD/SSD even. I know the battery life ain't great and also the touchpad is bad. But those are things I can live with. These specs will last for quite a while I suppose

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails

I will receive it in 2 weeks while my uncle comes here. Thanks to each and everyone for your valuable suggestions and inputs! And do wish me good luck

Cheers!
Old 14th June 2014, 09:36   #4150
BANNED

Guys, need a small suggestion.

Thinking to buy NFS Rivals from Flipkart @ Rs 2249. Is this the correct price? Has anyone played this game before?

My laptop configuration is:

> 15.6" Full HD Anti-glare (1920x1080)
> 3rd Generation Intel i7 processor (3.2 GHz)
> RAM: 8GB (4GB x 2) DDR3
> HDD: 1.0TB
> Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD DDR3 2GB
> Skullcandy Speakers with Waves MaxxAudio 4

Is this specification fine for the game to work as it should?

Thanks,
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th June 2014 at 09:37.
Old 14th June 2014, 13:58   #4151
BHPian

Flipkart has extra 10% discount for many laptop models + additional 10% cashback for SCB cards. Interested folks, pl. take a look.
Old 17th June 2014, 16:57   #4152
Senior - BHPian

My question to all the Laptop gurus in the house.

I am currently using Dell Vostro V131 for my office use and i am extremely satisfied with everything it has to offer. Now i am on the look out for another laptop for wifey and I had thought of getting her a MacBook, but even after all the discounts etc it was shooting out of budget so i called up Dell India inquiring about Dell Vostro and this is what they have offered me. The person on the other end of the phone told me that AMD A6-6310 Quad-Core APU is at par and infact better than the Intel®Core™ i5 processors. How true is that? Below is the offer given by them and I am quite impressed by the pricing. I paid ₹42k for my Vostro V131 about 2.5 years ago.

Can someone here please guide me if there are any actual limitations by going ahead with the AMD A6-6310 Quad-Core APU?

The primary useage is going to be browsing, emails, social networking, corel draw, photo shop etc.

Name:  Dell AMD.png
Views: 773
Size:  22.7 KB

Or Should i go for the below specification

Dell Vostro 14 V3446

Processor Core i3 (4th Gen)
Variant 4005U
Chipset HM86
Brand Intel
Clock Speed 1.7 GHz
Cache 3 MB

4 GB DDR3 RAM

500 GB HDD

Windows 8.1

GRAPHICS
Dedicated Graphics Memory Type DDR3
Dedicated Graphics Memory Capacity 2 GB
Graphic Processor NVIDIA 820M

Rs. 35693/-

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 17th June 2014 at 17:10.
Old 17th June 2014, 18:08   #4153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
My question to all the Laptop gurus in the house.
AMD CPU's are known to have batter draining and heating issues, better avoid AMD CPU's in laptops. Bargain hard and try to get Core i5 in the same budget as AMD. For the tasks listed I would say that Core i3 should suffice.
Old 19th June 2014, 19:41   #4154
BHPian

Guys, I need your help here. My laptop ( Dell Inspiron 1520 ) initially came with windows vista. Few months back this was changed to Windows 7 pro. I have airtel broadband with airtel supplied wife router since few years ago.

After changing the laptop OS to Win 7, I've changed the wifi router also to D-Link 2750U from amazon. Off late, I've been observing a peculiar problem. My laptop is not detecting my wifi connection while it shows other near by wifi connections. My Note 10.1, note 2 and other mobiles are working fine with this router while my laptop is not detecting the wifi connection.

Initially, when the new router is installed, the same problem came up. Do not know how it got resolved then and was working till few days ago. When the laptop is connected to the router using lan cable, it works fine. But, wifi connection is not working.

Need your help and possible solution in solving this issue. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 19th June 2014 at 19:42.
Old 19th June 2014, 20:44   #4155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
The primary useage is going to be browsing, emails, social networking, corel draw, photo shop etc.
PS can get pretty demanding as file size increases. Go for i5 + max RAM you can get in your budget. Dedicated graphics card is also a good choice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks