Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2020, 20:55   #5611
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
Hi Folks, need a quick response on this. I'm getting the following PC at 53k, add another 3.5k for +8GB RAM upgrade (to be done later), is this a good choice?

https://www.flipkart.com/acer-aspire...NWZVZM8YICAJ6Z
The price is tempting. Last month, I bought Acer Nitro 7 at 66k which had almost the same configuration except a 1 TB SSD instead of 512GB. This one also has finger print sensor. I would say, not a bad offer.
Old 13th June 2020, 00:52   #5612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Look around. You might find something with just the right amount of RAM. At a better price.
Could you point me towards the offer? At 53k this sounds like a good deal to me. I own an Acer Nitro 5 that I bought at 61k with worse specs than this but have to give away to the family. Hence, the urgent requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
The price is tempting. Last month, I bought Acer Nitro 7 at 66k which had almost the same configuration except a 1 TB SSD instead of 512GB. This one also has finger print sensor. I would say, not a bad offer.
Thanks mate! I ordered this, let's see how this performs. Planning to make +8GB RAM and thermal re-pasting immediately. Planning for a dedicated monitor later due to the nature of my work.
Old 13th June 2020, 01:14   #5613
BHPian

Quote:
Could you point me towards the offer? At 53k this sounds like a good deal to me. I own an Acer Nitro 5 that I bought at 61k with worse specs than this but have to give away to the family. Hence, the urgent requirement.
I don't think there was any if you consider 512 GB NVME SSD and NVidia GTX 1650 4GB GPU.

Quote:
Thanks mate! I ordered this, let's see how this performs. Planning to make +8GB RAM and thermal re-pasting immediately. Planning for a dedicated monitor later due to the nature of my work.
Congratulations! I would have bought this with the 2K Citibank discount had I not pulled the trigger last month. Just a word of warning, you'll void warranty if you change the RAM unless you do it through Acer Service center.

Last edited by DaptChatterjee : 13th June 2020 at 01:22. Reason: addition
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 02:09   #5614
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think there was any if you consider 512 GB NVME SSD and NVidia GTX 1650 4GB GPU.

Congratulations! I would have bought this with the 2K Citibank discount had I not pulled the trigger last month. Just a word of warning, you'll void warranty if you change the RAM unless you do it through Acer Service center.
I have no idea why people are buying 9th gen + 1650 parts when 10th Gen / 4000 series + 1650TI are right around the corner. Granted it will be priced a premium initially, however it will be normalized within few months, especially at Big billion / Great Indian sale.

The Nitro series comes with 1 m.2 NVMe slot i believe, so it makes sense to get as much capacity SSD as budget permits initially.

This warranty part is a bummer. In many other countries like US user can replace the RAM & HDD without risking warranty. However here its covered with warranty void stickers RAM & HDD upgrades via Acer are super expensive. I wanted quote for 1TB NVMe & 16GB DDR 2666 RAM last year for my laptop. They had no stock for 1TB drive & 16GB hynix ram stick was quoted as 14.5K A similar spec GSkill gaming series ram costs 7K.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 14:04   #5615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
I have no idea why people are buying 9th gen + 1650 parts when 10th Gen / 4000 series + 1650TI are right around the corner.
Acer Nitro 5 and Lenovo Ideapad with 10th generation CPU's, Asus TUF with 4000 series have already been launched here. But the prices are pretty high and they are not available on E-commerce sites. I guess the rates would drop once they are in stock at Amazon/Flipkart.

I didn't wait as my old Laptop had stopped after 12 years of use. I am not into Gaming, so higher performance would not matter much to me. I use it mainly for Photoshop (purely for amateur purpose) which runs fine on i5 9th gen. It's the 8GB RAM which feels inadequate sometimes. Even GTX 1650 is overkill, i5's inbuilt UHD 630 is good enough for photo editing.

Quote:
The Nitro series comes with 1 m.2 NVMe slot i believe, so it makes sense to get as much capacity SSD as budget permits initially.
It has two m.2 slots and one SATA 2.5 Bay. In my PC, both the m.2 slots are occupied by 512GB SSD's. Will add a SATA SSD later.

Quote:
This warranty part is a bummer. In many other countries like US user can replace the RAM & HDD without risking warranty. However here its covered with warranty void stickers
Could not agree more! I have no plans to pay those extra bucks to Acer, will wait for the warranty to run down.
Old 15th June 2020, 17:05   #5616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
I have no idea why people are buying 9th gen + 1650 parts when 10th Gen / 4000 series + 1650TI are right around the corner. Granted it will be priced a premium initially, however it will be normalized within few months, especially at Big billion / Great Indian sale.

This warranty part is a bummer. In many other countries like US user can replace the RAM & HDD without risking warranty. However here its covered with warranty void stickers RAM & HDD upgrades via Acer are super expensive. I wanted quote for 1TB NVMe & 16GB DDR 2666 RAM last year for my laptop. They had no stock for 1TB drive & 16GB hynix ram stick was quoted as 14.5K A similar spec GSkill gaming series ram costs 7K.
Being outspec-ed is a never ending game my friend. I was looking for a laptop which was available today. It checked all boxes other than the amount of RAM (which I will upgrade anyway and re-paste that warranty void sticker )
typlo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 18:08   #5617
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Hi,
I want to buy battery and charger for my 11 years old laptop, compaq presario c700.
which one is best trusted site for purchasing these items? I do not want to go in market in current covid situation.
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:25   #5618
BHPian

Quote:
It has two m.2 slots and one SATA 2.5 Bay. In my PC, both the m.2 slots are occupied by 512GB SSD's. Will add a SATA SSD later.

Could not agree more! I have no plans to pay those extra bucks to Acer, will wait for the warranty to run down.
2 things mate:

1. The SKU sold in India has only 1 NVMe SSD port, if you plan to replace it later with larger capacity. Better buy an external 2-4 TB HDD and use it to dump stuff. The USB Gen 3.1 or 3.2 ports on this thing make the HDD speed itself a bottleneck but never the connector!

2. Just buy the RAM you like (I bought this: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B071KNKBQ1/..._uBH8EbZRR2Z0S). Use your hairdryer to peal off that sticker slowly and after upgrading your RAM, just unvoid your warranty. Sticker is not a legal protection for Acer to void your warranty. I think I did a pretty good job, my sticker is not disfigured, just looks like so in the image, will flatten it out after re-pasting it, good as new (besides the sticker is so fragile it might get torn in day to day use!)

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20200623_201452__01__01.jpg
typlo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:46   #5619
BHPian

Quote:
2 things mate:

1. The SKU sold in India has only 1 NVMe SSD port, if you plan to replace it later with larger capacity.
That seems to be a difference between Aspire and Nitro series. My Nitro 7 does have 2 m.2 slots (plus a SATA HDD slot). Have no plans to replace the two 512GB SSDs. As I mentioned earlier, might add a 1TB SATA SSD in the vacant HDD slot.
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20200623_203508.jpg  

Old 24th June 2020, 00:19   #5620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Guys. I have a 13 yr old Dell Inspiron which is still going great. The only problem is that its running on Windows Vista. With online classes starting for my daughter, we thought we will use this laptop. But the problem is that google meet isnt compatible with any of the browsers that can be installed on this laptop.

Anyone know what can de done next?
1. Do I need to throw this out to buy a new laptop. If so any recommendations under 25k?
2. Can i buy a Windows 10 OS DVD and install it in my laptop. Is it worth the effort?
3. Any other options preferably reutilising the old Dell laptop? (Third party apps that support meet, OTA windows upgrade etc.?)
Quoting myself as this may be useful for other members

I tried Windows, Neverware chrome OS, Ubuntu 18.04 but had once issue after the other and none of these worked for me.

As a last resort, tried lubuntu and I was successful in using this as an alternative to Vista. And guess what, the pre installed Firefox browser supports Google Meet and its working pretty well.

Must say I am loving the MACesque OS.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 09:50   #5621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

As a last resort, tried lubuntu and I was successful in using this as an alternative to Vista. And guess what, the pre installed Firefox browser supports Google Meet and its working pretty well.

Must say I am loving the MACesque OS.
Thanks for the inputs Ash. I think many of us with old and aging hardware and specially software (unsupported OSs) will benefit from your efforts. Grateful if you can provide a brief review / guide regarding installation process, ease of usage, learning curve, peripheral support for existing printers / webcam etc. from a layman's home user (non-pro) perspective.
Old 25th June 2020, 18:27   #5622
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a Laptop under ₹60k. It'll be majorly used for CAD softwares, media consumption and some intermediate gaming (I'm a student). I can wait upto August if required.
Was looking at The Lenovo Legion Y540 that comes with i5 9300h+gtx1650 and the ASUS ROG strix g with similar specs.
Should I wait for other options or buy the above ones when the price drops to 60k in the upcoming sales?
And lastly, Intel or AMD? I'm very confused .
Old 25th June 2020, 19:37   #5623
Senior - BHPian

So the wife's HP Envy (i5 processor) started to lag after 5 years. This is one solid workhorse (Beats Audio version), and we wanted to retain it. Even the dual tone, of racy red and graphite stands out. So gave it to HP for SSD and RAM upgrade.
Attached Images

Old 5th July 2020, 13:18   #5624
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am looking for a decent laptop for my 4 year kid for his online classes in school. He just got the admission and this was supposed to be his first year in school. Due to corona pandemic I assume all schools in Delhi will stay closed for this session. His teacher told not to use mobile phone for classes as kids should stay away from handheld devices. Me and wife are having office laptops which we can't share with him as the class timing conflicts with our office hours.

I am eyeing on Thinkpad E14 series which has Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD hard disk. Have good experience with Thinkpads while I worked in IBM few years ago, my wife too has a T480 Thinkpad now which is quite sturdy in comparison to HP Elitebook I have from office. Anyone having experience with E series hope it is similar to T series Thinkpad in terms of performance and durability.
Old 6th July 2020, 10:31   #5625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
looking for laptop for my 4 year kid

I am eyeing on Thinkpad E14 series which has Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD hard disk.
I am sorry and no offence but i would say that the above quoted text is mother of all overkills and beyond any logic.

Best case i would use a couple of generations old iPad, worst case last gen iPad air with a UAG case. (And yes its not a mistake between best and worst case, i meant it that way only.). As for the arguments regarding kids and hand held devices, well kids should not be near any kind of screen / digital media. But the reality is far from perfection.

However, if it is to satiate your inner geek and has nothing to do with the 4 year old's needs then
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed