Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 20:41   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Nokia has announced free maps and turn by turn navigation for the OVI maps. See more about this here Free Navigation on your Nokia. Forever - Ovi Maps
I think this is a good step for all those who has Nokia phones that support Ovi maps.
Nokia E90 is not supported for sure. As soon as I read the news today on toi.com, downloaded the OVI maps , and when tried to go for voice navigation, it kept reminding me of the expired free trial license, and to update for a full year license for $275 or was is Euro.
Old 21st January 2010, 20:44   #17
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shri View Post
Does this use GPRS or GPS?
Why is it available only on GPS enabled phones?
GPRS and GPS only sound similar.

GPS or Global Positioning System is a system of navigation satellites encircling planet Earth. A GPS enabled phone has a GPS radio receiver hardware, which receives signals from multiple navigation satellites. It processes these signals and computes latitude, longitude, altitude and time.

GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) is nothing more than a packet oriented data service providing speeds of upto 114 kbps on GSM networks. It lets you connect to the Internet from your cell phone.

So the two terms only sound similar.
They are as different as chalk and cheese.

Ram
Old 21st January 2010, 20:48   #18
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
That is great news.

I do a have Nokia smart phone. Now how do we go about installing the same. Is there a app in OVI store to be downloaded?
Nokia smart phones before the N95 and N82 did not have built-in GPS hardware. If your mobile is a newer one, it already came with Nokia Maps. There is nothing to install.

If it is older, too bad! But then you can still benefit by buying a standalone GPS receiver like the Nokia LD-4W or LD-3W which connect to non-GPS phones over Bluetooth.
Old 21st January 2010, 21:02   #19
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Nokia had bought Navteq in 2008 for $8.1 billion.
Now they've given it away by making mapping and turn-by-turn navigation free to the whole user base of 8.3 crore users.

The maps can either be downloaded on the fly over the air,
or sideloaded in advance from the PC.
Downloaded maps are also cached so they don’t need to be downloaded again. This is true for all the maps available for 180 countries.

So in one resounding slap mobile map sellers won't make money on selling maps anymore.

Turn-by-turn voice guidance for 74 countries in 46 languages, and traffic information for over ten countries is included. Plus Nokia are partnered with Facebook, for their ‘share my location’ feature.

This will destroy the Portable navigation device (PND) market.
And also any other paid for navigation offerings. It is a paradigm-shifting strategic inflection point, which will destroy some businesses (as Andy Grove wrote in his book: Only the Paranoid Survive).

Nokia now becomes an attractive alternative to the iPhone, which does not allow caching or offline usage. So no more heavy data roaming charges by preloading maps.

This will be good for mobile advertising companies which are getting acquired left and right. Example: Google bought AdMob, Apple bought QuattoWireless and Opera bought AdMarvel.

What comes to my mind is the paradigm-shifting way, how
Microsoft destroyed an entire industry of TCP-IP stack providers
when they bundled TCP-IP for free with Windows 95, in September 1995.

I remember that Windows 3.1 needed you to buy TCP-IP separately.

Ram
Old 21st January 2010, 21:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post

This will destroy the Portable navigation device (PND) market.
And also any other paid for navigation offerings. It is a paradigm-shifting strategic inflection point, which will destroy some businesses (as Andy Grove wrote in his book: Only the Paranoid Survive).

Nokia now becomes an attractive alternative to the iPhone, which does not allow caching or offline usage. So no more heavy data roaming charges by preloading maps.
Doubt it will be the end for PND as lots of people just d/l the relevant s/w and maps off the net for free anyway.

I thought you could get apps like TomTom for Iphone which should allow you to use preloaded maps.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

I for one have moved away from on centralized evice to havin dedicated devices recently. I don't want to be stuck on a highway exit just because I got a call or have to change the music that was playing thru the FM transmitter.

I prefer to have a dedicated PND.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:38   #22
BHPian

ok... just got to know that this free thing applies only to select models. E71 and N97 are not on the list. Will take sometime before it might be available for free for the remaining editions. By the way, for offline use, they are very very good and have been using them a lot around Bangalore.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

It works

Just downloaded the new version via WLAN and it works.

Cheers,
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
If your mobile is a newer one, it already came with Nokia Maps. There is nothing to install.
Nope, thats not completely correct.

I recently purchased a Nokia 5230 which had a version of Nokia Maps on it. However yesterday, I was prompted to update the maps application and now I can see that it has changed considerably.

A few updates are weather, drive to, walk to options in the map app.
Also, the satellite fix happens much faster now. Earlier the satellite fix was very slow in Ovi Maps and I had a better experience with Google Maps.

To answer Rams question, I updated it after connecting the phone to my computer, browsing to the nokia website and downloading the app.

I guess this can also be done directly from the phone.

Last edited by gomzi : 22nd January 2010 at 14:39.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:15   #25
BHPian

it is failing for me. My 5800 has firmware version 30.x.x. and when I tried to install the new maps, it is telling that it requires firmware >=31.x.x , Now, when I check for updates from my phone, it tells there are no updates for my phone's firmware. So can anyone tell me as to whether they have successfully downloaded the free maps to their 5800 ? (I am using the latest ovi to download updates)
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is failing for me. My 5800 has firmware version 30.x.x. and when I tried to install the new maps, it is telling that it requires firmware >=31.x.x , Now, when I check for updates from my phone, it tells there are no updates for my phone's firmware. So can anyone tell me as to whether they have successfully downloaded the free maps to their 5800 ? (I am using the latest ovi to download updates)
you need to update your firmware to v40 using software updater,update is on available OTA.
Then you will be able to download OVI maps .

I have done it on my 5800 .
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
you need to update your firmware to v40 using software updater,update is on available OTA.
Then you will be able to download OVI maps .

I have done it on my 5800 .
hmm, I tried to update my firmware OTA but my phone keeps telling that I have the latest firmware (viz 30.x.x.)
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:42   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that support for the free navigation (routing and turn by turn) is limited at the moment.

I cannot even upgrade my N82 to Maps 3.00 --- it just gives an error message, which I've mentioned on another thread.

Any other N82 owners' experience?

I think there will always be a market for the dedicated devices. I still want one, for the simple, practical reason that using the N82 for navigation is a little fiddly, and I cannot see the screen without reading glasses, so I need to stop to look at it. Of course, turn-by-turn may alleviate this; I'll have to see when I finally get it. My GPS dream gadget, though, remains something with a 7-inch-or bigger screen!
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:50   #29
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
hmm, I tried to update my firmware OTA but my phone keeps telling that I have the latest firmware (viz 30.x.x.)

Hi,

I'm also not being to update my firmware. tried OTA (v 30.x.x) and got a msg that I had the latest firmware available. strange..
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:56   #30
BHPian

I tried the new Map software for E71. It activated a 7 day all region license only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks