Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-939.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by promit (Post 3063367)
on flipkart it's just the bluetooth headset free. 16 gb is on board storage.
I really thought very hard before getting the s3. It was between the s3 and the grand at the end. A future price cut on the s3 was the only thing going against the s3 for me.
The s4, considering its going to be the next new thing, and the hype around it, I would say it'll launch at a ~40k tag. The s4 is going to be announced on 14th March. Actual deliveries will be from Q2, April or may.
The s3 got a price cut in the first week of feb. At the current price point, considering the hardware and specs I think it's a great buy! If the s3's price falls further, that would cannibalize the sales of the Galaxy Grand ?
Plus, the prices of phones which cost more than 2000 are set to rise. I suggest you really pick up a phone soon.

Thanks for the info. Even I was in a dilemma regarding the Galaxy Grand, S3 and the Note 2.

Went to check out a Grand and the screen was a huge disappointment (been using a Wave 1 and i'm in love with SAmoled's).
The Note 2 was next on the list but somehow as a student I can't bring myself to buy a 35k+ phone.
The Galaxy S3 seems to be the best choice... I'll just wait for a few days after the S4 lauch to see if there's a furthur reduction in prices and then will get the S3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3063378)
Old news. It's not a useful feature at all since the eyeball... situations.

Thanks, this info sure puts my mind at ease... I was seriously wondering that if I buy the S3 now, am I gonna regret missing out on some of these new gimmicks on the S4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPS (Post 3063238)
Finally got the S3 from Croma for 31k ! New to android so slowly getting used to it. Can someone recommend the must have apps ? Any free anti-virus, anti-theft apps out there?

Apps.. soon 'laundry list' would lose its position to 'app list' :D Everyone's phone is different due to the choice of apps.
Here are some interesting picks I use on a regular basis
Messaging - Hike, Skype
Browser - Chrome & Dolphin
Utilities - App2SD, drive, goggles, Automateit, Your bank's app, camscanner, Mcube (expense tracker), evernote, flashlight, sms backup & restore (ritesh sahu), popup, Justdial, Indian rail, shush!
TrackID - Good song catcher for Indian music
Fitness - Endomondo, myfitness pal

Behold the Galaxy S4 that looks exactly like the S3.

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s_iv_...-news-5672.php

Quote:

Originally Posted by promit (Post 3063731)
Its a gimmick alright! Itl just screw with the battery back up. Smart-stay on the s3 is also quite useless. I've kept all the sensors and gesture controls off at the moment. :)

I don't like smart stay. But i have enabled other gesture controls. Some of them are super useful and can't do without them.

A few i use daily and can't do without are below

- double tap to top. (i have 900 contacts. very useful)
- tilt to zoom (great in browser)
- turn over to mute/pause. (excellent at work)
- palm swipe to capture a screenshot. (super useful)
- Direct call. (calls the contact in sms. super useful)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle (Post 3064271)

A better version of this is the palm touch to mute/pause. Just touch the screen with your palm and the phone mutes. Most useful one at work for me. Rather than lifting the phone and turning it over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3064292)
A better version of this is the palm touch to mute/pause. Just touch the screen with your palm and the phone mutes. Most useful one at work for me. Rather than lifting the phone and turning it over.

Yes, that is a great option too but many times i forget using that and naturally i just turn over as instinct sets in. Sometimes i am deeply engaged in a work that i forget putting palm on it to mute. Much easier to turn it over without looking/feeling the phone and see if i have kept the whole palm on the phone. For me, turning it over is super fast. Guess i have got so used to it, i just forgot the palm gesture.stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle (Post 3064303)
Yes, that is a great option too but many times i forget using that and naturally i just turn over as instinct sets in. Sometimes i am deeply engaged in a work that i forget putting palm on it to mute. Much easier to turn it over without looking/feeling the phone and see if i have kept the whole palm on the phone. For me, turning it over is super fast. Guess i have got so used to it, i just forgot the palm gesture.stupid:

The problem I now have is the palm gesture is registered in my brain involuntary. Whenever I set an alarm for early morning, within the first few seconds in my sleep I am able to place the palm on top and mute the alarm!! I set 2 to 3 alarms to overcome this issue since even snooze doesnt work once you mute it.

If I'm in a discussion with colleagues and the phone rings I just place the palm and mute the phone. This sometimes results in a break in the conversation as the other guy is very shocked to see the phone stopped ringing just by touching it with the palm.

It doesn't need the whole palm. Just cover the screen and it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3064309)
The problem I now have is the palm gesture is registered in my brain involuntary. Whenever I set an alarm for early morning, within the first few seconds in my sleep I am able to place the palm on top and mute the alarm!! I set 2 to 3 alarms to overcome this issue since even snooze doesnt work once you mute it.

If I'm in a discussion with colleagues and the phone rings I just place the palm and mute the phone. This sometimes results in a break in the conversation as the other guy is very shocked to see the phone stopped ringing just by touching it with the palm.

It doesn't need the whole palm. Just cover the screen and it works.

Both are very practical option indeed. These gestures are a great way to show off phones capabilities. I enjoy it a lot when i show it to iphone users. Most of them are dumb founded and shocked when i show them what it is capable of.

I will have to train my brain to switch to palm touch now instead of flipping it over. I do the flipping thing during alarms too so its a long time practice just like you have with palm touch. Very hard to overcome but i will try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3064267)
Behold the Galaxy S4 that looks exactly like the S3.

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s_iv_...-news-5672.php

If that is the s4, samsung has definitely run out of ideas!

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 3064360)
If that is the s4, samsung has definitely run out of ideas!

This is exactly what is being talked about. This is saturation!

I recently bought a Karbon A9+ Android phone for my wife who needed a dual sim mobile. The phone works best in al most all areas except the battery. The mobile is powered by a 1420mAh battery which is the weaklink in the otherwise good phone. Will replacing the battery with a higher rated one say 1600 or 1700mAh have any effect on the phone? Asking Karbon guys yielded only one statement - the battery is correctly rated for the phone.

The present claimed battery is for 11 hrs talk time and 300 hrs standby time which is absolutely not the case. The battery drains in about 6-7 hrs inspite of no apps running. A simple Temple run drains the battery in 2 hrs flat. Any advice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelle (Post 3064271)

I don't like smart stay. But i have enabled other gesture controls. Some of them are super useful and can't do without them.

A few i use daily and can't do without are below

- double tap to top. (i have 900 contacts. very useful)
- tilt to zoom (great in browser)
- palm swipe to capture a screenshot. (super useful)
- Direct call. (calls the contact in sms. super useful)

See this is where a good custom rom steps in. All the above features (and a lot more) are available in MIUI rom running on my humble Motorola Defy+.

Manufacturer's list of features remain important only if you plan to stick to stock roms forever. Otherwise I'd always suggest picking up a mod friendly phone and flash the best available rom that is available for it. A little bit of pre purchase research helps here!

I did the same thing on my HTC one x. flashed a custom rom and i am happy. Overclocked the processor too and the performance in every department trumps the S3 with ease. Custom rom devs tend to integrate te best of features from many stock roms, they then take the android source repo and do a merge with the source code, recompile everything and voila! A rom with the best features. Its not as easy as i have said though since there are a lot of complexities involved.

Got myself a Note 2 last week for 33700 as Univercell was running a 5% off on usage of citibank credit cards for purchase. Thought that S4 will probably have only cosmetic upgrades and also I love the S-Pen in the Note 2 so did not wait for the S4. Exploring the phone and loving it :)

Anyone here used a program called Truecaller?
It shows the name of the unknown caller to you.

I was apprehensive at first, but seeing it work really surprised me.
Any idea how it works?