Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2011, 15:22   #1621

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys, one more question here.
Has anybody tried playing music by plugging their HTC wildfire to their Car's HU USB port.
I plugged in the phone through USB, it was charging the phone but didn't read the music in the memory card. I have a 8GB card, and the USB in my Car HU's has read pen drives upto 4Gb. Any thoughts ?
I don't think that this is because of the size of data in your memory card.
I have a Pioneer HU, and it happily plays my 16GB USB pen drive without any problem.

The key criteria for any USB media player (in this case, your car HU) to play media files from a USB input is that it should be able to firstly read the file system (FAT32), and secondly, it should be able to mount the USB input as a drive so that it can access the files in the drive and let you navigate and play the files in the drive.

In your case, it is slightly complicated because you are not just connecting a "dumb" drive like a USB pen drive, but you are connecting your memory card through the Android OS (which manages the card). The first good news is that Android too uses the FAT32 file format so technically, your media player should be able to read the contents of your memory card.

After connecting your HU to your phone using the USB port, you then need to instruct Android that you want the external USB connection to be able to mount the memory card. In other words, the new external USB connection wants to use your phone's storage as a "mass storage device", and Android needs to give the go ahead before this can happen.

I haven't tried this myself, but you should get a prompt in your phone after the USB cable is plugged in. If this doens't work, you can also try installing this Android app called Auto-mount your SD card.

This link also talks about this.

Sorry, I went a bit technical. However, this problem is very common, so I wanted to give a technical background to this. Usually, people face problems because their USB input is not in the FAT32 format.
Old 29th January 2011, 16:10   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Ok let's face it. Desire's video recording sucks. I get a frame rate of 13 fps while recording at 720p. The video, when played in PC through VLC player, jerks every now and then, as if I am playing from a badly scratched DVD!

I really like to see how Desire HD can record 1080p videos. If anyone has recorded any sample videos, please share.

If video quality is in your preferences, don't buy Desire.

Having said that, the still camera is pretty much ok. Here's a sample shot, straight from camera.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-imag00531.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 29th January 2011 at 16:15.
Old 29th January 2011, 17:53   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Ok let's face it. Desire's video recording sucks.
Custom ROMS like the Defrost 6.1 gives far better video recording experience than the original ROM. 30fps at 720p is really possible! I am going to try out custom ROMS!
Old 29th January 2011, 18:33   #1624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Custom ROMS like the Defrost 6.1 gives far better video recording experience than the original ROM. 30fps at 720p is really possible! I am going to try out custom ROMS!
Oh, how is the playback on the device itself? Also waiting for the review of the HD video playback.

But won't custom rom void the warranty?
Old 29th January 2011, 20:36   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Oh, how is the playback on the device itself? Also waiting for the review of the HD video playback.
But won't custom rom void the warranty?
The playback on the phone is no better. It also jerks and pauses in between for short duration. (I am not sure if that's due to a fragmented file because my card is almost full)

I saw some test videos at 30 fps from custom ROMs and they seem to be far better than this. Yes Custom ROM will void the warranty.. :( Is there any way I can get the original ROM back and remove all traces of rooting the device and another ROM running in the device, in case something goes wrong and I have to goto service center?
Old 29th January 2011, 21:00   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
The playback on the phone is no better. It also jerks and pauses in between for short duration. (I am not sure if that's due to a fragmented file because my card is almost full)

I saw some test videos at 30 fps from custom ROMs and they seem to be far better than this. Yes Custom ROM will void the warranty.. :( Is there any way I can get the original ROM back and remove all traces of rooting the device and another ROM running in the device, in case something goes wrong and I have to goto service center?
You can always revert back to the stock rom and un-root your device
Old 29th January 2011, 21:57   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
You can always revert back to the stock rom and un-root your device
Which means the service center guys won't even know that I ran a custom ROM at all?
Old 29th January 2011, 22:18   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Will someone please let me know if this will work on reliance/tata?

for 14999 its a SUPERB deal

eBay India: Best CDMA phone Android HTC DROID INCREDIBLE Reliance (item 160538841945 end time 05-Feb-2011 12:57:04 IST)
You can ask the seller about it. Do note that the phone is a used one.
Old 30th January 2011, 00:09   #1629
Senior - BHPian

Just did a quadrant test on on Stock phone & the benchmark score was 1966, not sure how good or bad it is but I haven't faced any lag or performance issues so far.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th January 2011 at 02:03.
Old 30th January 2011, 01:39   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Not at all, I don't regret my decision at all. The phone has been delivering for what I have bought it. First of all, I was not aware of silent hover app. So my decision at the time of buying my phone is still correct. I don't regret my decision one bit, yes but I would agree that if I had more moolah to spend, I would have got a different phone.

I know for a flashlight you don't need an android, but what the heck if you are getting it both together ?? Makes me happy!!

hehe!! Again the same thing, see I have the phone and I am using it and I am not aware if you have seen and experienced the Wildfire's screen personally. I have written it before, I'll repeat it here : I downloaded videos from Youtube, converted to .3gp format and then played on the phone. It was good to my eyes or probably my eyes are bad
I hope one day you can experience Android on your HDTV, if the screen resolution matters so much for android.
Well, if you like the phone, then its good for you. Thats what matters the most. I'm not saying its a bad phone... just that specs wise its time is past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Anyone having an LG Optimus One P500 confirm if Adobe Flash is working in their browsers? When I bought the phone I knew that this phone wouldn't support Flash. But on the box it says

- Latest Android(TM) Platform Froyo 2.2
- 8.1cm HVGA Capacitive Touch LCD
- 3G Tethering - Wifi hotspot
- 3MP Camera
- Adobe Flash v10.1
- HSDPA 7.2

But I don't seem to get Flash working on any site.
No it does not work/cannot work. It seems earlier the boxes used to read as above, but now LG has covered the "Adobe Flash v10.1" by a black sticker, so that it is no longer visible. Don't know why LG decided to say it can play Flash when it can't.
Old 30th January 2011, 12:17   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Figured out how to take screenshots of the phone to PC - using Android SDK

Name:  device.png
Views: 770
Size:  355.6 KB
Old 30th January 2011, 14:07   #1632
BANNED

Here we go, more live wallpapers for your Android phone. Unfortunately works only on Android 2.2 Froyo
Download LG Optimus 2X Live Wallpapers APK Files For Android | how2i.com
Old 30th January 2011, 14:27   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Anyone having an LG Optimus One P500 confirm if Adobe Flash is working in their browsers? When I bought the phone I knew that this phone wouldn't support Flash. But on the box it says

- Latest Android(TM) Platform Froyo 2.2
- 8.1cm HVGA Capacitive Touch LCD
- 3G Tethering - Wifi hotspot
- 3MP Camera
- Adobe Flash v10.1
- HSDPA 7.2

But I don't seem to get Flash working on any site.
No, optimus one doesn't support Adoble flash at all, leave alone 10.1. This is because of the processor its using. The processor is not capable to support the flash content.

samsung has now announced 4 new android phones(galaxy ace, galaxy geo, galxy fit and galaxy mini). expected price in the range between 12000 to 20000. Galaxy ace being the most expensive one with 800 Mhz processor. All these will come with froyo 2.2 anodoid version and expected to hit the indian market in Feb-March. So, i think anyone looking for an android phone in this price range should wait for these.

Last edited by zoom2_ash : 30th January 2011 at 15:04.
Old 30th January 2011, 16:00   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Google MyTracks

This is one of the apps that I badly wanted - Google's MyTracks. It can plot your travel anywhere you get gps. Initially you need EDGE / gprs to locate you precisely on the map as in any A-GPS device but then, it doesn't even need a net connection! You can travel, save the plot and then view it in the map when you reconnect to internet. It shows a lot more info than just the plot - let the screenshots do the talking!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-mytracks.jpg

As you can see, the plot and the road doesn't really match - the road is wrongly drawn in google maps. (I made that road just by looking at Satellite image - now that I have precise data, I am going to correct it in Google maps)

Another interesting app - Heart rate monitor - it really works!
Name:  device.png
Views: 786
Size:  346.3 KB

Last edited by clevermax : 30th January 2011 at 16:07.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2011, 16:39   #1635
BHPian

Motorola Defy anyone?

Guys,
have anyone in team bought and tried motorola defy. I am tied between HTC desire (21K) and Defy(18.5k). Please advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks