Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 14:41   #2971
BHPian

Re: Android applications

I haven’t seen anyone here mention about the apps by name scanner.

For the people on the forum who aren’t aware of this apps, a short description on the same .

The Apps by the name cam-scanner can scan anything in front of the camera, a documents or a picture etc and generate PDF’s for the same.

The Apps just changed the way I do my activities, today sitting at home am able to scan documents and send across through emails.

Cool stuff.
Old 4th May 2011, 14:59   #2972
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

There are two/three negatives of Defy versus i9003:
a. Its a bit smaller in the hand - 3.8" vs 4.5" though it feels robust.
b. The S-LCD is SIMPLY GORGEOUS! The Defy's screen reminded me of a relative's XCD28. Kinda like KLPD par kya kare aadmi.
c. You MUST root it for Gingerbread. That said, Froyo update atleast is around the corner.

Other than that its nice.

@nishant: Good news - I was confused earlier because a couple of SGSL's in office worked with Exchange straight out of the box. But no error identified clearly, right?
Old 4th May 2011, 15:31   #2973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@nishant: Good news - I was confused earlier because a couple of SGSL's in office worked with Exchange straight out of the box. But no error identified clearly, right?
True. No clear identification of error. Just says "Could not connect to server". Hene, I tried connecting multiple times, by changing 1 setting every time. It worked in the last attempt!
Old 4th May 2011, 15:50   #2974
Senior - BHPian

Folks - Anyone has any suggestions for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I'm a first time android user and Im currently using a Samsung Galaxy S phone. I have configured mail for exchange via Active sync and everything works pretty well. However, the default font of my reply mails is courier new, size - 10 which looks pretty small when viewed from a PC. Im looking for the more standard ones, however there is no option to change it from the phone. Is there an application that is available which will help me with this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th May 2011, 16:26   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
I haven’t seen anyone here mention about the apps by name scanner.

For the people on the forum who aren’t aware of this apps, a short description on the same .

The Apps by the name cam-scanner can scan anything in front of the camera, a documents or a picture etc and generate PDF’s for the same.

The Apps just changed the way I do my activities, today sitting at home am able to scan documents and send across through emails.

Cool stuff.
Google Docs which is launched recently has the same feature. Plus it can open any documents in your emails or google docs online.
Old 4th May 2011, 16:59   #2976
BHPian

Re:wierd warning from Exchange server.

Shifted to Optimus one P500 from E63, last week.
Rooted and flashed a cynogenmod gingerbread(2.3.3) ROM.
Only problem seems to be with the ADW launcher which came default in the ROM.Replaced it with one from market.Everything works fine.
Best thing is the ability to create catalogs(groups of applications-similar to folders in IOS).
I created catalogs called Communications,Utilities,Media,Games and arranged my apps accordingly.

When I tried to connect to my Office MS-exchange, I got a warning message that my office server wants to remote control some security features of my phone(including factory reset ). So, added the account to check if it works and then deleted immediately. Did anyone face a similar situation with exchange mail account?
I am not able to setup my account without giving remote control to the exchange server.
Old 4th May 2011, 17:06   #2977
BHPian

Re: wierd warning from Exchange server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Only problem seems to be with the ADW launcher which came default in the ROM.Replaced it with one from market.Everything works fine.
Best thing is the ability to create catalogs(groups of applications-similar to folders in IOS).
I created catalogs called Communications,Utilities,Media,Games and arranged my apps accordingly.

When I tried to connect to my Office MS-exchange, I got a warning message that my office server wants to remote control some security features of my phone(including factory reset ). So, added the account to check if it works and then deleted immediately. Did anyone face a similar situation with exchange mail account?
I am not able to setup my account without giving remote control to the exchange server.
How is the battery coping with GingerBread(2.3.3) viz. stock Froyo?
Old 4th May 2011, 17:11   #2978
BHPian

Re: wierd warning from Exchange server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post

I use Optimus one with stock ROM. When I set up my office mail ( activesync) using the mail client, it asked me to set up screen unlock with pin as a security feature. Don't remember if there was anything more.

Could you please let me know if there is a link for the steps to flash the cynogenmod ROM?
Old 4th May 2011, 17:11   #2979
Senior - BHPian

All Defy users - Are your phones running 2.2 or 2.1 ? And does the phone support flash 10.1 ?
Old 4th May 2011, 17:31   #2980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Android phones have been plagued by low battery life. This is not limited to a particular brand but observed in almost all smartphones in these days. Ofcourse if your usage is minimal (just calls and messages) then your battery might last a little longer. But if you browse on your phone, click lots of pictures or watch videos then battery life will be short.
Same issue with the iPhone. My colleagues in the US used to complain that the battery does not last beyond an hour or two while surfing.

I found each one of them charging their phones at work, and that is what prompted me to ask them.
Old 4th May 2011, 17:34   #2981
BHPian

Hi,

I am looking for an Android Phone upto 15k in Bangalore.

I have selected two phones and will probably pick one of these. HTC Wildfire (12028 on flipkart) or Samsung Galaxy ACE(15400 on flipkart).

I was looking for any other good options, which forum members think is a good buy.

There is news that HTC will be launching Wildfire 'S in India this week for 15000 INR with Android 2.3.3

Any suggestions ?
Old 4th May 2011, 18:12   #2982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Between HTC Desire HD2 and Samsung Galaxy S2.
I doubt you'd get the S2 below 30k though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Well even I would say go for Samsung Galaxy S2 but its prices are unknown in India. But I think it should be around 30k only. If you are in an urgent need to buy a phone why dont you try the Samsung Galaxy S-LCD. It is a Galaxy S but instead of AMOLED it has LCD screen. I would strongly recommend you to wait for some time and go for Galaxy S2. I do not think Google Nexus S is available in India. I think shops like Alpha might give you but I dont think you should buy it from there.
Thanks e1t1bet and Saanil.

I would rather wait around and buy the Galaxy S2. I liked the desire HD2 very very much. But in the past I have had a really bad experience with HTC phones - actually two instances. One went dead on 366th day, the other came up with LCD repair bill of 7 thousand. Both were Windows Mobile though. God I hate windows mobile.
This is android, but still I do not have trust in HTC hardware either.

How is the general review of the Galaxy S1?
Old 4th May 2011, 18:24   #2983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Thanks e1t1bet and Saanil.

I would rather wait around and buy the Galaxy S2. I liked the desire HD2 very very much. But in the past I have had a really bad experience with HTC phones - actually two instances. One went dead on 366th day, the other came up with LCD repair bill of 7 thousand. Both were Windows Mobile though. God I hate windows mobile.
This is android, but still I do not have trust in HTC hardware either.

How is the general review of the Galaxy S1?
Are you talking about Galaxy S Amoled one? Well it was well received all over the world. It was criticized for its poor battery life ( which depends on your usage). It was huge so it was not easily pocketable. It had some minor software issues just like everyother phone has. I read that KIES - the samsung software for managing your phone was a bit messy and not good like Nokia's PC suite.

If you are talking about the Galaxy S-LCD one then I havent read much about it. I just used it for about 2 mins in a CROMA store. One thing I didnt like was its metallic vibration. I also observed this in Wave 2. The original Galaxy S - whenever we used to select a option it used to produce a sound ( a tick sound). The S-LCD one vibrates a bit and kind of feels like metal vibration. Its possible this might just be me. It is better you use the phone yourself and see each and every feature. Following is the GSMARENA's review: Samsung I9003 Galaxy SL review: Through different eyes - GSMArena.com

Please read the user comments section of the review so you will come to know what problems people generally face.
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 19:09   #2984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
Oops, I missed it! Nevertheless I am prepared to wait for a couple of months.

As mentioned earlier, right now the contenders are Motorola Defy and Samsung Galaxy Ace.

I'd appreciate feedback from you gurus on what would be a better buy.

Hi Guys ,

rcomlsb coupon is now again working , A friend ordered using Letsbuy.com got it for Rs 151149. How is feed back of the site ? and how much time it will take to get it shipped.

Regards,
KK
Old 4th May 2011, 19:18   #2985
BHPian

Hi Guys,

1) Any good SMS filter to remove the multiple spam filters , must be able to filter based on keywords.
2) Any way i can club all my games into a single fodler ?

Pls suggest , I have tried anti SMS but does not work. :(

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 4th May 2011 at 19:23.

Most Viewed