Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2011, 17:07   #7051
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

If you want to flash specific custom roms like Cm7 etc bootloader needs to be unlocked
PLease check sony ericsson website, it will give you more details

Unlocking the boot loader | unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com
Old 17th December 2011, 18:14   #7052
oss
BHPian

Guys,

I am looking for an entry level Android and have zeroed in on HTC Wildfire-S and HTC Explorer. Both are almost similar in specs with Explorer having an edge interms of the processor (as per GSM Arena) and Wildfire-S with a better camera.

Wildfire-S retails for 13.2k while Explorer is available for 11.2k

Both are on Android Gingerbread v2.3

Which one you guys suggest?
Old 17th December 2011, 19:11   #7053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss
Guys,

I am looking for an entry level Android and have zeroed in on HTC Wildfire-S and HTC Explorer. Both are almost similar in specs with Explorer having an edge interms of the processor (as per GSM Arena) and Wildfire-S with a better camera.

Your choice will totally depend on your requirements.I will outline the following scenarios-

1) camera is important- hands down wildfire s.
2) if you are into installing custom Rom's then wildfire s as it is one of the devices supported by cyanogenMod and so will definitely be getting ICS.
HTC explorer is currently not supported by them.
3) if you are going to keep your phone stock and camera is not that important then you should go for the explorer.
D4d-maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 20:08   #7054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Guys,

The explorer has a QVGA resolution. which is pathetic IMO.as for the Wildfire ,its HTC sense interface really slows the phone down as it is too heavy for the entry level 600mhz processor.

If you are brand conscious Sony Ericsson has better options in that price range.or you could increase your budget by a bit and go for the tried-and-tested Motorola defy
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 21:38   #7055
BHPian

Hi. I am trying to access livestream.com on my Samsung galaxy S2, but somehow the phone is not able to play the live streaming videos. Any suggestions as to what can i do to watch live video streaming on livestream.com?

Is there an app. for android to do the same?
Old 17th December 2011, 23:29   #7056
BHPian

Has any team member rooted Galaxy Tab 10.1? Tried it?

One is planning to do it in spite of being a complete novice. The knowledge is purely what one has acquired in the step by step guides available on various websites for rooting SG Tab 10.1.

May I ask that what precautions should I be taking lest I be left holding a brick, with no idea of the next step to take.

Suggestions, advice, and guidance please.
Old 18th December 2011, 08:49   #7057
Senior - BHPian

@Skdking: Try superoneclick from XDA forum: If it is available for Galaxy Tab 10.1, then it is a 5 minutes job.

All the best!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 11:25   #7058
BHPian

Please suggest some good android phone under 10k. I have a very tight budget and I am not willing to spend more than 10k. Some of the phones I have shortlisted are LG Optimus One, Dell XCD 35, Sony W8. APart from these please suggest some more phones. Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 12:40   #7059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Please suggest some good android phone under 10k. I have a very tight budget and I am not willing to spend more than 10k. Some of the phones I have shortlisted are LG Optimus One, Dell XCD 35, Sony W8. APart from these please suggest some more phones. Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
Samsung Galaxy Y
Micromax A 60, A 70
Karbonn - *?*
Old 18th December 2011, 14:42   #7060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode
If you want to flash specific custom roms like Cm7 etc bootloader needs to be unlocked
PLease check sony ericsson website, it will give you more details

Unlocking the boot loader | unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com
Hey Raj, are you using SE arc? How was it on your part? Boot loader and the fastboot thing?

From whatever I have read so far, seems only the network locked phones have this boot loader prob. Bootloader of sim free phones in all probability can be unlocked easily. The only catch seems to be the fastboot mode.
Old 18th December 2011, 15:41   #7061
oss
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs D4d-maniac & Bluengel180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
The explorer has a QVGA resolution. which is pathetic IMO.as for the Wildfire ,its HTC sense interface really slows the phone down as it is too heavy for the entry level 600mhz processor.
The display resolution is same in both the phones; ofcourse nothing ground breaking but ok for an entry level Android.

HTC did a smart thing of putting Sense 3.5.a variant which does away with lot of jazzy stuff, making it light on the meagre 600 MHz processor. I understand that is one reason Explorer fairs better on processer compared to Wildfire S, thought both are 600 MHZ.

I like everything about Explorer, except that i like the looks of Wildfire S more than Explorer :(

Quote:
If you are brand conscious Sony Ericsson has better options in that price range.or you could increase your budget by a bit and go for the tried-and-tested Motorola defy
I was originally looking at SE Xperia Mini, but have heard too many issues with SE handsets oflate. I had personally suffered on brand new SE sets (non-Android) and also heard from friends having trouble with X10 mini. All their mini's seem to suffer from problem of hanging often, rebooting on their own during the call, etc. I seriously doubt if Sony is worth the premium anymore.

Defy / Defy+ are really attractive; just that i am not sure if i want a larger screen. More confused .....
Old 18th December 2011, 15:53   #7062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss
just that i am not sure if i want a larger screen. More confused .....
Its not the screen size that matters, its the resolution. Wvga is the most comfortable to use.the htc explorer and salsa have much lower resolutions.

If you really want to go for an htc I suggest the salsa.its quite snappy with the htc sense. But on the downside it has zero developer support. You'll get it at the price of a wildfire s if you use the letsbuy discount coupons.

I still recommended a wvga phone though
Old 18th December 2011, 16:05   #7063
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Its not the screen size that matters, its the resolution. Wvga is the most comfortable to use.the htc explorer and salsa have much lower resolutions.

If you really want to go for an htc I suggest the salsa.its quite snappy with the htc sense. But on the downside it has zero developer support. You'll get it at the price of a wildfire s if you use the letsbuy discount coupons.

I still recommended a wvga phone though
What do you mean by zero developer support? Are you talking about customer ROMs?

While on the topic of coupons, i could only find one couple which is currently active offering 10% or Rs.814 max discount. Is there any other coupon offering more discount? Pl help
Old 18th December 2011, 16:14   #7064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss

What do you mean by zero developer support? Are you talking about customer ROMs?

While on the topic of coupons, i could only find one couple which is currently active offering 10% or Rs.814 max discount. Is there any other coupon offering more discount? Pl help

Yeah no custom roms as of now.as for letsbuy try the code AMEXLB
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 16:32   #7065
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah no custom roms as of now.as for letsbuy try the code AMEXLB
It's expired :(

Any other??

Most Viewed