Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 14:12   #8971
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
8GB non-expandable memory and 512MB RAM makes it rude
Dual core on this feels like the processor will have lot of free time
512MB RAM is still OK. Remember it is a budget android, not an expensive high-end phone. Not every device is going to come with same high-end specs isint it?

Yes the 8GB non-expandable memory is a limitation for some. But still for lot of people it makes a very sensible buy.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:20   #8972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
512MB RAM is still OK. Remember it is a budget android, not an expensive high-end phone. Not every device is going to come with same high-end specs isint it?

Yes the 8GB non-expandable memory is a limitation for some. But still for lot of people it makes a very sensible buy.
It's definitely alright. What I meant is that a dual core doesn't have much to do when other HW are limited No memory expansion slot is a serious omission these days is what I believe. 8GB is not user available memory also. 512MB RAM is creating issues on my Neo with only E-Mail, Nimbuzz, Whatsapp and Viber running all the time. I believe this is minimal/average.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:39   #8973
Team-BHP Support

As per me the cheapest dual core with value for money is moto atrix 2. With one giga Hz speed and a GB of RAM it really uses both the CPU and the memory well.

Add to it 4.3 inch display and gorilla glass too and a solid build quality.

At 22K its really value for money.

Last edited by ampere : 7th May 2012 at 17:41.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:40   #8974
BHPian

Xperia U

only 4gb user available memory.
if the user is just into some apps,well and good but a bad option for those folks storing tons of music or videos !!

Last edited by ariendj : 7th May 2012 at 17:41.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:50   #8975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As per me the cheapest dual core with value for money is moto atrix 2. With one giga Hz speed and a GB of RAM it really uses both the CPU and the memory well.

There's one more competitor to it that I just read today.

Sony Xperia U is available for pre-booking for about 16.5K. Dual-core and many whistles for 5.5K off the price of the Atrix2

Sony Xperia U available online for Rs 16,499 - Tech News - IBNLive

Prajwal
Old 7th May 2012, 18:52   #8976
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap

There's one more competitor to it that I just read today.

Sony Xperia U is available for pre-booking for about 16.5K. Dual-core and many whistles for 5.5K off the price of the Atrix2
Just checked the link you pointed to. Indeed its a good offer. The only difference I see is that it has 512MB RAM. For a dual core ghz performance we would definitely need at least a GB of RAM. The other thing is 4.3 vs 3.5 inch display. Agreed Moto is at best average on camera front. But on a well lit day I am ok with the humble 8MP sensor.

I think I did did some search on Xperia U before I zeroed in on Atrix 2 ( I dont remember now).

As I type this post from my Atrix 2 on a GPRS roaming, I can safely say I am extremely satisfied with its performance.

Last edited by ampere : 7th May 2012 at 18:55.
Old 7th May 2012, 19:06   #8977
BHPian

If you have any friends in US, the Unlocked Galaxy Nexus should cost you 20K which has better spec I guess https://play.google.com/store/device...axy_nexus_hspa
Old 7th May 2012, 19:26   #8978
Distinguished - BHPian

*Urgent help needed*
I stupidly managed to delete most of my photographs accidentally on my Galaxy Note. It has the 16GB memory, no additional cards installed. I switched off the phone immediately once I realised what I had done but most of them are gone. By googling it up, realised that the pics are probably still on the phone till they get overwritten.

How can I recover them?

I am an android noob and "rooting" etc. is Latin to me, so if a reliable software exists that can bring these back, let me know. Otherwise will resign myself to having no pics from my recent vacation *gulp*

Please drop an email (same handle, team-bhp.com). Thanks!
Old 7th May 2012, 20:42   #8979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
*Urgent help needed*
I stupidly managed to delete most of my photographs accidentally on my Galaxy Note. It has the 16GB memory, no additional cards installed. I switched off the phone immediately once I realised what I had done but most of them are gone. By googling it up, realised that the pics are probably still on the phone till they get overwritten.

How can I recover them?

I am an android noob and "rooting" etc. is Latin to me, so if a reliable software exists that can bring these back, let me know. Otherwise will resign myself to having no pics from my recent vacation *gulp*

Try taking out the battery in such emergency cases. I guess you formatted your phone.
If you had done formatting but switched off your phone, then take out the battery and try starting it after sometime. Same thing happened with me. Took out the battery and restarted. Most of my pics were left. Some songs got deleted. so i guess restarting should help you recover the files that still are left on the phone. It worked for me. But may not work for you sir even though we both have the same phone.

Hope your files are still left please backup the files from next time sir. Happened to me many times till I started backing up my data diligently.
Cheers!!

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 7th May 2012 at 20:46.
Old 7th May 2012, 21:24   #8980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just checked the link you pointed to. Indeed its a good offer. The only difference I see is that it has 512MB RAM. For a dual core ghz performance we would definitely need at least a GB of RAM. The other thing is 4.3 vs 3.5 inch display. Agreed Moto is at best average on camera front. But on a well lit day I am ok with the humble 8MP sensor.

I think I did did some search on Xperia U before I zeroed in on Atrix 2 ( I dont remember now).

As I type this post from my Atrix 2 on a GPRS roaming, I can safely say I am extremely satisfied with its performance.
+1 Ampere. The Atrix 2 is awesome value for money. Add to it, the good battery life as well. The phone though will really open up once the ICS update comes through. If you have not realised as yet, its running on 1 core 99% of the time. Only apps that are coded to use 2 cores will use the second core ! Gingerbread is not designed to use both cores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
*Urgent help needed*

How can I recover them?

I have managed to do this for deleted files off my harddrive, so not very sure if it will work. Nevertheless, give it a try..

Google for some recovery software, connect your phone to the computer via USB mass storage and scan using this recovery software.

Try something like this http://download.cnet.com/USB-Flash-Drive-Recovery-Software/3000-2242_4-10700115.html
Old 7th May 2012, 22:25   #8981
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Partha and others who PMed me.

I downloaded Recuva on my home laptop and then connected the Note in USB storage mode (go to Settings--->applications--->development, activate USB debugging and whem you connect to laptop say OK when it asks if you want to transfer files). Then your phone with show as a lettered drive. Run Recuva on it selecting pictures and/or videos etc.

It saved most of my recent pics...older ones I have backed up...and most seem intact bar some corrupted files.

Am using the word undelete here purposefully so that it becomes easier to search.
Old 8th May 2012, 01:32   #8982
Distinguished - BHPian

You could check out the free product PhotoRec There is Photorec and Testdisk from the same developers. Haven't looked at PhotoRec itself: testdisk is powerful but somewhat nerd-heavy. That may be difficult to avoid in a product powerful enough to discover partitions, file systems, files, on media where the structures have been deleted or corrupted.
Old 8th May 2012, 03:01   #8983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thad my man.

Have you tried out SwiftkeyX?

Remember millions of people use the iphone keyboard in portrait mode. So its not you,its the keyboard.

Try out the free or if u can do a bit of effort, register on their vip forum and get the beta version. Absolutely most brilliant software ever for android, IMNSHO!
Finally bought an Xperia Ray last week. I wasn't really considering it only because of the screen size and had almost decided on the HTC Incredible S, but got a really great deal, which I felt was not worth missing. The first day itself, the stock keyboard made me mad enough to impale the maker(s) of this phone on wooden stakes. Not exaggerating there. I was going to install Swype (which I'v loved to use on my previous phone); but then I remembered your repeated recommendation of Swiftkey, and decided to try it instead. It has indeed been a lifesaver. My phone is now actually usable for texting!! I still miss Swiping instead of typing, but with wide range of words that I need to type in, Swype flounders. Swiftkey seems to work better for me and has greatly reduced keystrokes and is really good at correcting errors.

Other than the screen size, its amazing what'll is packed into this really small form factor. Upper end features, a wow cam (for a mobile) and the pocket- ability is really a boon. Swiftkey has made texting viable, even in portrait mode; but the screen despite its near-retina display still feels a tad small for browsing and you have to keep adjusting the font size to read comfortably.

And no, I don't think typing in landscape is a good idea most of the times. For eg. imagine texting in Whatsapp - in portrait you can see the sender's messages above, but in landscape you cant. For longish messages, one could need to refer to the previous messages, and have to keep going back to portrait mode. Extremely irritating! I guess it will be the same for SMSing.

Problem with this 3.3" screen is that its narrower than even a 3.2" screen, forcing the keys in portrait mode to be even smaller.

Was considering selling this phone, but due to the other advantages, and thanks to Swiftkey, I guess I'll keep this phone for sometime until, something better comes out in this range... esp. something that can match its BIS cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Well, i know the one bought is not good as its premium offerings but atleast its a step in right direction. I will give him a Galaxy SII soon. Meanwhile if he can adjust to android that will make it easier for him to handle SII.

As for choice of phones. Well, his first and only requirement was a Nokia/Samsung. And since i was not there while buying i couldn't influence him to other options. sorry if you feel its bad but then its a stepping stone to bigger things to come. Who knows what kinda experience is he gonna have? Positive, Negative, we will soon know
Well, that wasn't quite the point and I understand your position. The point was that in the same price range, the competition has significantly better offerings than Samsung. You would have gotten better devices for your money. The Aces simply don't have much to offer for the prices Samsung is asking. And something is right only if it comes at the right price.
Old 8th May 2012, 03:28   #8984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Well, that wasn't quite the point and I understand your position. The point was that in the same price range, the competition has significantly better offerings than Samsung. You would have gotten better devices for your money. The Aces simply don't have much to offer for the prices Samsung is asking. And something is right only if it comes at the right price.
I am sure there are many other better alternatives but we were handicapped by just the Samsung name. I haven't followed recent mid-budget phone attack in India so i am unaware of what's going on. But since its done and dusted, i am looking at bigger picture some 6 months down the lane.

BTW, do enlighten me what other good options are there in rs. 12500 range. i am sure many of my friends and relatives would be searching for one in this range. I can guide them accordingly. thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 11:07   #8985
BHPian

Quote:

Its definitely an uderrated phone in India at least. I again repeat, for business users its still the best you can get in that price bracket. The stock UI lags sometime though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
only 4gb user available memory.
if the user is just into some apps,well and good but a bad option for those folks storing tons of music or videos !!
Thats what I told in my previous posts too It feels like this Xperia U is smart but with low on memory. Dual Core with 512MB and 4GB non expandable user available memory is nothing short of stupidity IMHO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks