Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 18:31   #8941
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The 2.3.6 update was out long back. As far as the ics update is concerned, I don't know if our phone will ever get it.
I did not find it in Kies. is there anywhere else im supposed to look out for ?

A noob question : camera is enabled for video conferencing by default in S2 and Note but not in S even though S has front camera. Any idea how to get this enabled (gtalk) ?
Old 4th May 2012, 19:08   #8942
BHPian

The samsung SIII failed to impress. apart from the speedy processor the rest of the package failed to impress.and frankly "speed" isnt going to matter for the next couple of years anyway as apps will continue to be made to run on all kinds of devices.

And why pentile samsung?people may disagree but for me the checkerboard effect is VERY noticeable.so i'll be choosing the HTC one X over the SIII for now.

PS : Xperia S price dropped to 27k? thats a very good deal!
Old 4th May 2012, 19:47   #8943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
The samsung SIII failed to impress. apart from the speedy processor the rest of the package failed to impress.and frankly "speed" isnt going to matter for the next couple of years anyway as apps will continue to be made to run on all kinds of devices.

And why pentile samsung?people may disagree but for me the checkerboard effect is VERY noticeable.so i'll be choosing the HTC one X over the SIII for now.

PS : Xperia S price dropped to 27k? thats a very good deal!
Just wait for a couple of months if you can. Sony is coming with a peach of a device that is definitely better than OneX/S3. 13MP camera, 2200mAH battery, 7mm profile.

Since Android runs without any lags on most dual-cores, speed is no longer the name of the game. Most new high-end devices are anyway going to be quad-core.

Last edited by joslicx : 4th May 2012 at 19:48.
Old 4th May 2012, 19:53   #8944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well Just like the iPhone 4S, it is more of a Galaxy S2S than S3 actually. More eye-candy software features than any real mind-blowing hardware upgrades. Theres very little to distinguish between S3 and Note actually!
I beg to differ, S3 is definitely more than an incremental upgrade, with a Brand New Exynos Quad Core Processor and coupled with a graphics chip which delivers almost twice the performance of HTC One X(Quad Core) in an off screen benchmark. The SAMOLED HD has a res of 720p although in a PenTile arrangement(thoroughly disappointing). Its definitely a much bigger upgrade when compared to what the 4S was to iPhone 4. Really disappointed with the design(plastic, again?).
Old 4th May 2012, 20:02   #8945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayasok View Post
I beg to differ, S3 is definitely more than an incremental upgrade, with a Brand New Exynos Quad Core Processor and coupled with a graphics chip which delivers almost twice the performance of HTC One X(Quad Core) in an off screen benchmark. The SAMOLED HD has a res of 720p although in a PenTile arrangement(thoroughly disappointing). Its definitely a much bigger upgrade when compared to what the 4S was to iPhone 4. Really disappointed with the design(plastic, again?).
Ok Lets look at it.

iPhone 4 -> 4S
Processor 1core -> dual core (faster processor)
Improved Graphics processor
Siri

Sammy S2 -> S3
Processor 2core -> 4 core (faster processor)
Improved Graphics process
S-thing!

What else is the difference. 720p screens are pretty much the norm now so can be counted out. And its not a SAMOLED+ HD screen either so nothing ground breaking there.

Benchmarks at this level of performance are all for kids. Android runs without any lags on all quad-core devices (even dual core as well)

Actually the point was: Over the Note, the only improvement is 4-core! So whats the innovation here? It was so much hyped for so long for nothing really.

Last edited by joslicx : 4th May 2012 at 20:07.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:27   #8946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Ok Lets look at it.

iPhone 4 -> 4S
Processor 1core -> dual core (faster processor)
Improved Graphics processor
Siri

Sammy S2 -> S3
Processor 2core -> 4 core (faster processor)
Improved Graphics process
S-thing!

What else is the difference. 720p screens are pretty much the norm now so can be counted out. And its not a SAMOLED+ HD screen either so nothing ground breaking there.

Benchmarks at this level of performance are all for kids. Android runs without any lags on all quad-core devices (even dual core as well)

Actually the point was: Over the Note, the only improvement is 4-core! So whats the innovation here? It was so much hyped for so long for nothing really.
My point was iPhone 4 -> 4S upgrade was merely incremental, since, (by specs alone) it was not the most powerful device available(for a flagship). Everyone expected the 4S to have a quad core processor because it had already become an industry norm for a flagship to have quad core. Whereas, in the case of S3, this is the most powerful phone available now(Worldwide) based on specs alone! Its definitely worthy of the moniker of Flagship, although design wise and screen wise it dissapoints.

Benchmarks are definitely important in the case of Android phones , maybe not in terms of usability but in terms of bragging rights (I am certain adults do it as well).

Sorry IMHO, the Note is so unwieldy to be a phone but I agree that the only difference would be the quad core and increase in ppi(The note is also Pentile).

Btw I own a 4S and the braggin rights thing about Android users comes from personal experience(Friends).

Last edited by akshayasok : 4th May 2012 at 20:29.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:06   #8947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i need to buy a phone for my dad.

what's good in 15k range. I am looking at Samsung ACE Plus, is it any good. any other options?
Just thought to update. My dad bought Samsung Galaxy Ace. Got it for Rs. 12400. Saw the price online on flipkart and letsbuy and its 600 more (12990). i was under impression that online it will be a little lower.

It was a see-saw battle as initially from 15k phone he lowered his budget to 8k mobile and not more than that. On little persuasion, he got Ace. He is happy though there is a learning curve for him as he has never used a touch.
Old 4th May 2012, 23:20   #8948
BHPian

There is no doubt that S3 was the most awaited launch of this year. People were going crazy waiting for this phone - Everyday there used to be rumours regarding its specs. When I first saw the picture of S3 - I was disappointed. I currently own a S2 and thought S3 looked like Galaxy Ace. The thing is everywhere I was seeing 2D pictures of it. It was when I saw some videos of S3 - I kind of started liking the design. All I am saying is - Do not judge the looks by just looking at pictures on your laptop/PC - Kindly go the showroom and see it for yourself - The design will grow on you.

Another popular opinion on internet is that S3 does not bring anything new to the table - It does not create the kind of buzz that S2 created when it was launched. Now I might be wrong here but this is all because of HTC One X. One X got all the features we wanted to see on S3 so when S3 was actually launched with all the features - It kind of gives the feeling that S3 is nothing new. I understand - even I felt the same when I first saw the spec sheet. As to what S3 brings new - Check out this video:

S3 brings hardware improvements which we think is not new because One X already has it. I think one reason for S2 to become popular was that Samsung was first to release many features while HTC/LG followed whereas here it was the other way round (I may be wrong here!). Still if one thinks the hardware is pretty normal just check out the software improvements this phone brings. Check out the video and just see the number of small features which Samsung has brought. This video is just an example and I am sure there will be tons of other features. People are saying camera is not an improvement - I know its still 8 megapixel but you are getting the HDR/Burst mode etc over S2 - I know it does not feel like an upgrade but it actually is. People were hoping S3 to even trump One X in specs but I think that is just unfair.

What is keeping me interested in this device is at what price will Samsung launch this in India. Since it is quadcore it might be sold at 36k-37k like One X - I take One X because it is the closest in terms of specs. If that is the price I am afraid S3 will face tough competition. But I feel it will be sold at 32k which will make it a success. I think this will heavily cannibalize Note figures - But this is my view and I may be wrong.
Old 5th May 2012, 09:24   #8949
Senior - BHPian

S3 is just an over hyped phone. The only people who will benefit are the game lovers.
Hdr camera is just a marketing gimmick. It can easily be installed on any 15k android phone !
Note was an innovation. But, s3 is just a hype.
Old 5th May 2012, 09:31   #8950
BHPian

Re: Blank screen on LG P500?

These days, all of a sudden my LG O1 P500 goes blank. I have to remove the battery, to bring it back to life. I am on Android 2.3.3 and software version is V20c.

Please advice.

Old 5th May 2012, 10:04   #8951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Note was an innovation. But, s3 is just a hype.
Sorry.

Samsung has never innovated "design" in and of themselves. They are one of the very best followers in this industry and they know how to cram some really awesome hardware on their phones (albeit with plasticky bodies unlike HTC sensation/desire for eg).

Dell was the one who innovated with the Streak. Samsung picked up the concept, updated it (screen, processor, battery) and sold it with kickass marketing.
Old 5th May 2012, 10:15   #8952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sorry.

Samsung has never innovated "design" in and of themselves. They are one of the very best followers in this industry and they know how to cram some really awesome hardware on their phones (albeit with plasticky bodies unlike HTC sensation/desire for eg).

Dell was the one who innovated with the Streak. Samsung picked up the concept, updated it (screen, processor, battery) and sold it with kickass marketing.
I never knew about it. Thanks for sharing the info about Dell Streak.

Regardless, there are many 'reasons' to upgrade to a Note from any other smart phone.

But, with S3, I couldn't find a single reason other than gaming. It's all the same with better hardware which is not even needed in the first place. Battery technology is lagging far behind and that's one area I'm looking for an improvement. Until then, these new powerful hardwares and numerical naming conventions which gives a pseudo upgrade feeling like S1, S2 and S3 are just marketing gimmick adding no utility to the phone as such.

They all run android and android runs perfectly fast on any 1GHz processor if bloatware is not used.

Last edited by amalji : 5th May 2012 at 10:17.
Old 6th May 2012, 01:35   #8953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Just thought to update. My dad bought Samsung Galaxy Ace. Got it for Rs. 12400. Saw the price online on flipkart and letsbuy and its 600 more (12990). i was under impression that online it will be a little lower.

It was a see-saw battle as initially from 15k phone he lowered his budget to 8k mobile and not more than that. On little persuasion, he got Ace. He is happy though there is a learning curve for him as he has never used a touch.
Sorry to say, but thats not a good choice at all. Samsung just does not have good phones around that range. You'd get much better value for your money from its competitors. Its another issue if that the added value may not be missed by your dad.

As I read somewhere online - Samsung is now Ace of crap. But they do sell very well. But for reasons removed from the rational.

Last edited by Raccoon : 6th May 2012 at 01:38.
Old 6th May 2012, 07:19   #8954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Sorry to say, but thats not a good choice at all. Samsung just does not have good phones around that range. You'd get much better value for your money from its competitors. Its another issue if that the added value may not be missed by your dad.

As I read somewhere online - Samsung is now Ace of crap. But they do sell very well. But for reasons removed from the rational.
Well, i know the one bought is not good as its premium offerings but atleast its a step in right direction. I will give him a Galaxy SII soon. Meanwhile if he can adjust to android that will make it easier for him to handle SII.

As for choice of phones. Well, his first and only requirement was a Nokia/Samsung. And since i was not there while buying i couldn't influence him to other options. sorry if you feel its bad but then its a stepping stone to bigger things to come. Who knows what kinda experience is he gonna have? Positive, Negative, we will soon know
Old 6th May 2012, 15:11   #8955
BHPian

[quote=chevelle;2767188]Just thought to update. My dad bought Samsung Galaxy Ace. Got it for Rs. 12400. Saw the price online on flipkart and letsbuy and its 600 more (12990). i was under impression that online it will be a little lower.

Which android version the phone came loaded with out of the box? Was it gingerbread or foryo, i am confused on this part as the samsung website says foryo and flipkart/gsmarena says that it comes with gingerbread now. Since i am thinking of buying one, your clearence on this part would be of great help.

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 6th May 2012 at 15:12. Reason: Typo error

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks