Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 21:03   #16411
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hi All,

After a long long break at last I have upgraded my phone. I have the beast now. I bought Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900). It's just awesome. Loving the screen and performance of the phone. Waiting for a stable and light ROM to hit the test environment and will be rooting my phone. Just worried about the Knox. Will wait see and update.
Old 27th September 2013, 21:52   #16412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Hi All,

After a long long break at last I have upgraded my phone. I have the beast now. I bought Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900). It's just awesome. Loving the screen and performance of the phone. Waiting for a stable and light ROM to hit the test environment and will be rooting my phone. Just worried about the Knox. Will wait see and update.
what price did you pay and at a store or online ?
Old 27th September 2013, 21:54   #16413
BHPian

I picked it up for 41k at a store on its launch day from a store of a friend.
Old 27th September 2013, 21:57   #16414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I picked it up for 41k at a store on its launch day from a store of a friend.
41K ? Thats a good 9K less than the 50K price tag.

How did you manage to get this price ? Did you trade in your existing phone ?
Old 27th September 2013, 21:58   #16415
BHPian

I traded my old Note 2, got 21k for that, Paid the difference of 20k and picked up Note 3.
Old 28th September 2013, 08:26   #16416
Distinguished - BHPian

Samsung has issued a clarification about the region lock that applies to their new phones including older models manufactured after Aug 13.

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/27/samsung...nsert-the-sim/
Old 28th September 2013, 08:49   #16417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I traded my old Note 2, got 21k for that, Paid the difference of 20k and picked up Note 3.
You definitely live by your handle Gadgetfreak.

So how is note 3 compared to it's younger brother?
Old 28th September 2013, 09:03   #16418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Samsung has issued a clarification about the region lock that applies to their new phones including older models manufactured after Aug 13.

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/27/samsung...nsert-the-sim/
Poor strategy by Samsung. Are they trying to be apple ?

This is all un-necessary mess. The phone is already priced high and on top of it, we have this region lock.

Not a perfect start for an otherwise fantastic device.
Old 28th September 2013, 09:27   #16419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
A nice to have but not a must have. But I guess that kind of reasoning doesn't apply to most of us.

The display and response is certainly superior to the Note 2.

I have used top-of-the-line devices from Nokia, Samsung and Apple at various points in time. Leaving aside the preponderance of plastic, the Note 2 and 3 are the best phones I have ever used.

The N3 has a metal bezel but I am not too happy about the way it has been manufactured. Feels rather cheap to the touch. When it comes to sheer build quality there's nothing to beat Apple. An Apple product is generally beautiful to touch and look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

This is all un-necessary mess. The phone is already priced high and on top of it, we have this region lock.

Not a perfect start for an otherwise fantastic device.
I agree. It may be indicative of a shift in Samsung's policies. They are trying to drive down grey market sales. I read they have locked the boot loader. BTW, I haven't used that Knox software yet. Not willing to be a guinea pig.
Old 28th September 2013, 11:15   #16420
BHPian

I bought a Lava Iris 504Q a couple of weeks back for around 11k from a friend who got it as a gift and didn't want it.

What a fantastic device. I just can't understand how they can sell it so cheap. Almost everybody reckoned the phone would be a 20K+ device (the branding is very discreet).
Old 30th September 2013, 14:19   #16421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You definitely live by your handle Gadgetfreak.

It's just Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I don't know if you understood it right, Samsung is just trying to avoid cheap imports. This is going to be just first time regional lock,i.e. if you have purchased your phone in US and get it directly to India then it will not get activated, but if you insert a US sim activate it in US, get the phone to India and then insert Indian SIM, mobile will not have any regional lock or you can visit Samsung store and they will unlock it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
A nice to have but not a must have. But I guess that kind of reasoning doesn't apply to most of us.

The display and response is certainly superior to the Note 2.

I have used top-of-the-line devices from Nokia, Samsung and Apple at various points in time. Leaving aside the preponderance of plastic, the Note 2 and 3 are the best phones I have ever used.

The N3 has a metal bezel but I am not too happy about the way it has been manufactured. Feels rather cheap to the touch. When it comes to sheer build quality there's nothing to beat Apple. An Apple product is generally beautiful to touch and look at.

I agree. It may be indicative of a shift in Samsung's policies. They are trying to drive down grey market sales. I read they have locked the boot loader. BTW, I haven't used that Knox software yet. Not willing to be a guinea pig.
There is no mobile which is a must have, People still use Nokia 1100 and much happier than people who are using top of the line smart phones. In every aspect N3 is much better than it's nearest rival of any make. Samsung uses plastic compared to Apple, this may have many reasons and what I feel is that because the screen size is much bigger, just to ensure that mobile weight is kept in check and also to avoid major impact in case of accidental falls light weight high quality plastic is used instead of metal.

What is the use of having a beautiful looking mobile which makes looks beautiful but does not do anything apart from looking good when compared to competition.

N3 is loaded with almost any kind off connectivity technology available on any mobile on the face of earth. All these technologies are not only present but are loaded in their most latest format.
Old 30th September 2013, 14:30   #16422
BANNED

A quick one -For the Data Connection on my htc One CDMA or Reliance do I set it to CDMA or LTE/CDMA?
Old 30th September 2013, 14:45   #16423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A quick one -For the Data Connection on my htc One CDMA or Reliance do I set it to CDMA or LTE/CDMA?

You have an option of both. I selected both option on my S3 CDMA which is on TATA. If it is High speed, i guess it has to be LTE/CDMA.
Old 30th September 2013, 14:55   #16424
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
You have an option of both. I selected both option on my S3 CDMA which is on TATA. If it is High speed, i guess it has to be LTE/CDMA.
I am confused - I didn't know that any operator other than airtel has launched LTE in India.

LTE is Long Term Evolution - i.e. 4G. I think Mukesh Ambani's reliance is currently testing it - but not yet rolled out.
Old 30th September 2013, 15:11   #16425
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

As you all may be aware that CATCH NOTES has been taken off from Google Play store. I used to use catch a lot. on my laptop as well as phone. Catch had this feature where by a group can be created among a set of people and each could add details to it. Eg. Wifey and me had a group where we would list down imp to-dos, shopping lists, etc

Any other app that you guys can suggest which works in similar pattern?

Regards,

Most Viewed