Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2013, 19:54   #17056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
To all the Note 2 users who have updated their device to Android 4.3 :-

Are you experiencing a drop in performance? Specifically when opening the gallery and while switching between applications?

Or is it just me

I read somewhere that a factory data reset might solve the problem, did the same, lost all my messages in the process(are messages not backed-up by kies?), things are a bit better now but not as smooth as 4.1
If you have created samsung account and used samsung cloud feature then you can restore your sms , mms , call logs , contacts, calander etc.
Old 23rd November 2013, 21:40   #17057
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Phone is performing well. Yes the gallery takes little time to open but its not much.
Well yes the Phone is performing well in general however I cant help but notice the lag in opening the gallery and while switching between apps.

I read on some forum that many are complaining about the same. I hope Samsung solves this via an update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you have created samsung account and used samsung cloud feature then you can restore your sms , mms , call logs , contacts, calander etc.
Nope, Didn't use the cloud feature.
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:12   #17058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
To all the Note 2 users who have updated their device to Android 4.3 :-

Are you experiencing a drop in performance? Specifically when opening the gallery and while switching between applications?

Or is it just me

I read somewhere that a factory data reset might solve the problem, did the same, lost all my messages in the process(are messages not backed-up by kies?), things are a bit better now but not as smooth as 4.1
Yes, there is a drop in performance. I was checking the RAM and on clearing it in 4.1, it used to go down to 500s but not its not clearing up below 1GB! Gallery is taking time to open and I feel that battery is also draining up fast. Something is amiss here.
Old 24th November 2013, 00:14   #17059
BHPian

A family friend of mine is planning to upgrade from his entry-level Xperia. He's stuck between Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and Nexus 4. I suggested the Nexus 4 due to larger RAM, larger and better screen and better battery.

What do you guys think is better for a person in his early 50s, considering that the use will be solely restricted to phone calls, IM, texts and reading emails.
Old 24th November 2013, 00:23   #17060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
A family friend of mine is planning to upgrade from his entry-level Xperia. He's stuck between Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and Nexus 4. I suggested the Nexus 4 due to larger RAM, larger and better screen and better battery.

What do you guys think is better for a person in his early 50s, considering that the use will be solely restricted to phone calls, IM, texts and reading emails.
Why not the s3? Same price as the others and better specs than the s4 mini and as good as the Nexus.
Old 24th November 2013, 01:32   #17061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post

Why not the s3? Same price as the others and better specs than the s4 mini and as good as the Nexus.
Not nearly as good as nexus 4 in terms of performance thanks mainly due to

1. Samsung bloatware &
2. 1 GB ram as opposed to 2 GB ram in the nexus 4.

The only advantage for the S3 is the camera quality. Unless that's your most important priority, there is no point in going for the S3.
Old 24th November 2013, 09:39   #17062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Not nearly as good as nexus 4 in terms of performance thanks mainly due to

1. Samsung bloatware &
2. 1 GB ram as opposed to 2 GB ram in the nexus 4.

The only advantage for the S3 is the camera quality. Unless that's your most important priority, there is no point in going for the S3.
True. But for basic use, it should be fine. It has a bigger battery as well if I recall correctly. Also, the s3 is less fragile. A friend bought the Nexus 4 and dropped it a day later. The back glass cracked.
Old 24th November 2013, 10:19   #17063
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
True. But for basic use, it should be fine. It has a bigger battery as well if I recall correctly. Also, the s3 is less fragile. A friend bought the Nexus 4 and dropped it a day later. The back glass cracked.
In terms of build quality htc beats them all hollow. We have had five over the past four years. Only issue the ringer tends to pack up after about three years. A quick Rs.250 fix!

htc are a bit finicky about unlocking the bootloader (they allow it now)and rooting. With 4.x you may not need it at all. So best avoided. Once you are S-off and rooted you cannot install OTA upgrades!
Old 24th November 2013, 10:39   #17064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In terms of build quality htc beats them all hollow. We have had five over the past four years. Only issue the ringer tends to pack up after about three years. A quick Rs.250 fix!

htc are a bit finicky about unlocking the bootloader (they allow it now)and rooting. With 4.x you may not need it at all. So best avoided. Once you are S-off and rooted you cannot install OTA upgrades!
Many in our office have different experience with HTC . out of 3 people, who bought HTC, we have 3 screen replacements on 2 of those phones. And their after sales experience was pathetic. Nowhere in the league of Samsung or Nokia.

In a recent study on the number of complaints in the first year of use for a smartphone, lg and Samsung had the least number of complaints ( 7 and 8 % respectively ). HTC was one of the most prone brands ( > 15% or so ). Yes, HTC looks solid and aesthetic. But, it's prone to issues.
Old 24th November 2013, 10:43   #17065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

I've had a terrible experience with HTC in India . Bought a Salsa in 2011 (one of my worst impulse buys), phone conked off a month later and HTC took another month for replacing the motherboard. One of the worst after-sales service I have ever seen. 2 of my friends who bought Desire S at the same time also had similar issues. (One of them even paid 1k to get the phone rooted with an xtc clip). I'm planning to get the HTC One's successor in early 2014. Hope its good like my T-mobile MyTouch 3G (US Spec HTC Magic). Never gave me any problem
Old 24th November 2013, 10:45   #17066
Senior - BHPian

My wife's S3 has packed off - the culprit is the charging pin that has got bent (downwards - doesn't get inside the charger head properly) so the phone doesn't charge. I tried bending it back to no avail.

Any solutions from folks who have faced such an issue? Or I just get it replaced?
Old 24th November 2013, 10:50   #17067
Senior - BHPian

After seeing problems with HTC, one thing comes to mind.

- HTC is apparently the Skoda/Volkswagen of the Mobile Handset Industry !!

Regards,
A Happy Samsung Owner
Old 24th November 2013, 10:58   #17068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
My wife's S3 has packed off - the culprit is the charging pin that has got bent (downwards - doesn't get inside the charger head properly) so the phone doesn't charge. I tried bending it back to no avail.

Any solutions from folks who have faced such an issue? Or I just get it replaced?
Get a new charger from the roadside stalls for 100 bucks.
Old 24th November 2013, 11:17   #17069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
After seeing problems with HTC, one thing comes to mind.

- HTC is apparently the Skoda/Volkswagen of the Mobile Handset Industry !!

Regards,
A Happy Samsung Owner
Nailed it!!! Honestly the best service I've ever had has been with Nokia. This was a couple of years ago but Samsung is horrible. My s4 conked after two days and to get a replacement was so off putting that I went and got the LG instead.

I got the LG at reliance and they didn't give me a free quick window cover as was promised by LG. Rang the service Centre and they said I can come collect it by showing the bill. The only hitch is the service center is very far away (andheri) and so I haven't had the time to pick it up. Will try and sort it out in the next few weeks.

Bought a tpu cover on eBay for 300 bucks and it's working well so not really bothered. But since the quick window cover is free, I'm pondering wasting time and cab fare or wondering whether to just let it pass.
Old 24th November 2013, 11:24   #17070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

The problem occured on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The phone was showing as CHARGING even when the charger was not connected.

I bent the tiny slab inside the charging point, slightly upwards and the problem was resolved.

Try fiddling with the tiny slab in the charging port and see if its works.
Else get the charging port replaced, I dont know the price of the charging port though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Get a new charger from the roadside stalls for 100 bucks.
The charger is fine, the charging port is damaged, I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks