Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2010, 23:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

LOL. Amitoj I thought it was you when you told me that the traffic cleared after HSBC and you had reached your destination. LOL What a way to meet, on Waze chit chat. LOL.

Last edited by vikram_d : 23rd October 2010 at 23:38.
Old 24th October 2010, 09:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha. Vikram, i also thought it might be you, seeing your nick on waze but wasnt sure!
Yeah what a way to meet. On waze!
Old 25th October 2010, 12:34   #78
Senior - BHPian

had been to my hometown last weekend and i used Waze when i was there. there are lot many roads it still doesn't know, so i had the opportunity to "pave" a few of them! when i was heading from home to the railway station last evening around 7pm, someone pinged me. i replied and tried to get their handle, but it was kinda garbled with squared and asterisk. dunno who it was.

this morning a Wazer passed me in the opposite direction on the BETL. dunno know if it was a BHPian.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:35   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

The accuracy and detailing is much more than what Google or OVI maps give. For instance I was amazed that some hinterland roads also showed up when I travelled in to interiors of Haryana. On no other map service I have seen these roads show up.

And ability to add your own roads makes waze even more useful for community use.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:45   #80
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know In India they have tied up with Satguide for maps. Good part is one can get live feeds from actual users.

Looks a very good and handy app to me as well. Thanks "ByDesign"
Old 25th October 2010, 14:43   #81
BHPian

Amazing. A great find. Have installed it on my phones, A Windows Mobile & Nokia. How is the impact of this applicaiton on the Battery Life? Has anyone experienced any heavy impact on the Battery Life?
Old 25th October 2010, 15:53   #82
BHPian

Does this Waze is voice guided navigation? I use garmin maps currently and this thread tempts me to install it. As BHPians, having a SatNav community is a good opinion. Is this application stable on Windows mobiles?
Old 25th October 2010, 16:03   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Does this Waze is voice guided navigation? I use garmin maps currently and this thread tempts me to install it. As BHPians, having a SatNav community is a good opinion. Is this application stable on Windows mobiles?

Well, ever since ironH4wk brought it to my attention, i've noticed that Waze is indeed sluggish as compared to the Garmin device that i have. But Waze trumps Garmin because of its social aspect.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:11   #84
BHPian

This looks like a POWER HUNGRY Application. Installed it on my HTC Touch & mere installation downed my battery from 78% to direct 34%. Could have been due to downloading and installing. However, using it for mere 5 mins reduced my battery drastically from 34% to 19%. That's a HUGE Battery Drain. Has anyone experienced something of this sort?

Moreover, does this use a GPS Receiver to display the data? I also installed it on my Nokia E65 and all the while, my mobile only asks me for a Bluetooth Device. Looks like it needs me to dole our some dollars and buy a GPS Device for my bike
Old 25th October 2010, 18:05   #85
Senior - BHPian

Fellow Wazers, we continue to be the Waze Group with the highest population, 52!! Way to go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
This looks like a POWER HUNGRY Application. Installed it on my HTC Touch & mere installation downed my battery from 78% to direct 34%. Could have been due to downloading and installing. However, using it for mere 5 mins reduced my battery drastically from 34% to 19%. That's a HUGE Battery Drain. Has anyone experienced something of this sort?

Moreover, does this use a GPS Receiver to display the data? I also installed it on my Nokia E65 and all the while, my mobile only asks me for a Bluetooth Device. Looks like it needs me to dole our some dollars and buy a GPS Device for my bike
I used it on my E72 during the entire 325+ KM drive between Chennai and Bangalore - my phone's batter went down by 3 points (out of 7 points). Don't think it is that much of a drain. Btw, are you using the map in 3D mode or 2D mode? And yes, it needs a GPS receiver for positioning

Last edited by ph03n!x : 25th October 2010 at 18:08.
Old 25th October 2010, 18:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

I noticed another interesting feature today. I had Waze on while driving to work in the morning. I ran into some really slow moving traffic in front of Forum. I was coming from Dairy Circle. When I stationary in front of Forum I noticed that the road behind me had turned red indicating slow moving traffic with an average speed of 12 kmph.

I think it has some logic built into it that if my average speeds drops below a certain limit it automatically triggers a traffic jam alert for that road. This is just my assumption and I am not sure if this is the case. I for sure did not report any traffic jam.
Old 25th October 2010, 18:44   #87
BHPian

just installed this app on my iphone..
yet to explore....
Let's see what is in store / or which Tbhpian I meet on the road
Old 25th October 2010, 18:49   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I noticed another interesting feature today. I had Waze on while driving to work in the morning. I ran into some really slow moving traffic in front of Forum. I was coming from Dairy Circle. When I stationary in front of Forum I noticed that the road behind me had turned red indicating slow moving traffic with an average speed of 12 kmph.

I think it has some logic built into it that if my average speeds drops below a certain limit it automatically triggers a traffic jam alert for that road. This is just my assumption and I am not sure if this is the case. I for sure did not report any traffic jam.
yes, it does that. depending on the rate of movement, it will automatically mark that stretch as busy or traffic jammed. sometimes red, sometimes orange.
Old 25th October 2010, 19:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
yes, it does that. depending on the rate of movement, it will automatically mark that stretch as busy or traffic jammed. sometimes red, sometimes orange.
This is a really neat feature. Extremely helpful. It marked my section of the road red after I encountered slow moving traffic.
Old 25th October 2010, 19:25   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
This is a really neat feature. Extremely helpful. It marked my section of the road red after I encountered slow moving traffic.
It also marks sections as "light traffic" if you are doing good speeds - did that when I did the Chennai-Bangalore Saturday morning...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks