Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 16:39   #226
BHPian

Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Dying to have it in my phone (Nokia 5800), but after installing it said "No GPS in this phone"

Also joined T-BHP and found we are tied with Nederland at 158 each!
BTW, when I searched for www. team-bhp.com, it could not find anything! When I searched for team-bhp, it showed up!
Old 31st December 2010, 20:11   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
we travelled to Pondicherry yesterday and i had Waze on all the way

which is why you have jumped +1xxx on the weekly charts
Old 2nd January 2011, 02:53   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke View Post
Hm, one more joined the group, membership is up to 120.

And I see ph03n!x zooming along at 81
Hehehe.. I have Waze on most of the time while I drive - and my daily office stretch includes a short 6-lane bypass - and I blast in there!!
Quote:
Just read a mail form alpha[at]waze.com approving me as area manager for a part of south Goa. And immediately proceeded to delete 50 m of road that doesn't exist, and has never existed.

Now when I drive with Waze, I won't have to hear "keep left' where there's no road on the right

db
Quote:
The base map, sourced from SatGuide, isn't perfect. What you can do about it:
1. Live-report a "Map Problem" at the point where Wae asks you to take a nonexistant turn. All this does is flag the map viewed by the Area Manager, so if there isn't an Area Manager this won't help.
2. On a PC, view the map for the area and locate the nonexistant road. Go to "Update Map" and mark the road for deletion (click on road segment, click "Delete Road' / "Yes". This flags the deletion for the Area Manager to confirm, but even if there isn't any Area Manager, will take not that the road is marked for deletion and probably -- not sure about this -- refrain from routing anyone via that road.

Why don't you sign up as the Area Manager by sending a mail as detailed on the Waze wiki pages? Reviewing the map, India sorely needs more Area Managers, there are tons of unattended map problems everywhere.

And like the previous post, this one too would have sat better on the Waze forums

db
Quote:
You do that online. Go to Traffic Jam News, Updates from the Road - Waze Live Map and click on 'Update Map'

I recommend you read the wiki before you do any map editing.
Map Editing - waze

Just remember that most changes don't have an 'undo' and e.g. if you wrongly add a road, only the Area Manger can delete it. Also, you can add a Landmark (POI) but only the Area Manager can change its geometry, so click 'Create New Landmark' only when you're sure you have the location and outline correct.

You can find the Waze forums here
waze.com • Index page
Almost anything you need to know has already been discussed there.
Welcome aboard!! Mubeen and I signed up as area managers for Chennai recently, and between us, cover almost the whole city (except for northern suburbs). The maps do need a lot of work, and has a whole bunch of non-existent roads!!

It would be great if all TBHP Wazers learn the basics of using the cartouche tool, and make whatever edits, even minor ones - India maps would improve a lot, at least for the major cities!

Finally, it is amazing that a forum of auto enthusiasts can compete with a country (Netherlands) in terms of group strength. Lets keep the spirit high, and move on with our participation beyond group strength and adding points to making edits to the maps, signing up as area managers for cities that do not have even one, and participating in the forums too!
Old 2nd January 2011, 07:59   #229
BHPian

Good to know that (at least) two more T-BHP members are Area Managers! I'm off on trip* in an hour or two, lets see what map problems I can spot/rectify in this direction!

db

* http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-welcome.html
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:03   #230

wow, i didnt know there was something like this. any idea where the waze base map data for India came from?
Old 3rd January 2011, 23:40   #231
BHPian

The source is attributed on the live map: SatGuide.

db
Old 4th January 2011, 10:22   #232
BHPian

Hello guys,

I too joined, lets see how it works!!

cheers,
L&S
Old 5th January 2011, 00:11   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
we travelled to Pondicherry yesterday and i had Waze on all the way
But when I travelled to Pondy 2 weekends ago, I tried using waze on my way, but everytime got a "Route server error" so gave up. Not sure if it was a temporary problem for 2/3 days. Maybe I shouldn't have asked it do routing ... just to watch me would have been good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Started using waze today, joined Team-BHP group too. One weird thing I notice sometimes it tells me to take the *other* side of the divided road (near a divider cut it'll ask you to take right and immediately left, and from the picture it looks like it really wants me to drive on the opposite lane) ... anyone else noticed this?
Here is another weird problem I have noticed, see the screenshot below. When I wanted to come back from Outer Ring road to Old Airport road, it probably wants me to retrace my path; she asks me to take service road on opposite side ... and even if I take the left side service road, maybe because of GPS inaccuracies she still thinks I am following her, continues to show me on the right side till I hit Varthur road. So from Waze perspective, the route is actually confirmed I wonder if I can report a wrong turn but then from Waze's p.o.v. I'll be able to take it and follow the route!
Attached Thumbnails
Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone-xt720_screen004.png  

Old 5th January 2011, 10:42   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But when I travelled to Pondy 2 weekends ago, I tried using waze on my way, but everytime got a "Route server error" so gave up. Not sure if it was a temporary problem for 2/3 days. Maybe I shouldn't have asked it do routing ... just to watch me would have been good enough.
just watch me is what i did as i already knew the route. just wanted to see if Waze displayed the route correctly and it did too!

on our return, between Kancheepuram and Vellore there were areas where Waze had network, but lost GPS connection.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 5th January 2011 at 10:44.
Old 5th January 2011, 13:06   #235
BHPian

Quote:
I too had this issue whenever i select Hosur as my destination!!! So i tried with Chennai-Vellore and then Vellor- Bangalore. Not sure why it didn't work.

I used it for my trip from Chennai to Hosur and back. I took Pallavaram-Pamal-Anakaputhur-Kunrathur-Sriperumbudur, waze showed the entire stretch from Kunrathur-Sriperumbudur away from my Car's GPS position, so i reported it as new road and drew the road of the complete stretch. When i returned back using the same stretch waze was showing me between the two roads and again for the whole stretch !!! So i stopped using it.

I had it switched on for 2 trips that i made to Hosur from Chennai and waze reports that i traveled for 100Kms only
Old 5th January 2011, 18:05   #236

Even GPS is not available in my Nokia mobile. But I have bought a GPS bluetooth receiver and connected it with my mobile and believe it or not it is working fine with my handset.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:40   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaseem View Post
pinged a guy today - apparently he is on his way to blr from lucknow in a train imagine the points he will make
Just pray that he didn't turn on "record new road" mode.
Old 6th January 2011, 16:02   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Just pray that he didn't turn on "record new road" mode.

I am sure he would have done that had he known how to do it & we would have a new road to lucknow .

The guy wanted to add me as a friend, he thinks its like FB.
Old 7th January 2011, 13:08   #239
Senior - BHPian

Was pinged by a user by the name of "neo" yesterday evening. If the user is on this forum, I just want to let him know that I couldnt reply because i was driving. Sorry about that.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:27   #240

Waze Revs Up In India: Partners with SatNav Technologies.

Waze Revs Up In India: Partners w/SatNav Technologies to Create India’s #1 Live Traffic and GPS Navigation for Smart Phones | By the Waze

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks