Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 02:48   #301
BHPian

Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Waze does not seem to automatically use this data from all Wazers to determine traffic
Waze does use information from all users, to the extent of automatically reporting traffic congestion or standstill when I park for a few minutes and don't exit the software. Have you considered that there may have not been another wazer ahead of you for Waze to detect that there was a jam?

Traffic reports sent manually are only flashed to Wazers who have opted to receive such alerts, and are not factored into routing.

You can read more about this on the Waze forums and wiki.

Apart from this, opinions are invited from BHP Wazers at http://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=9230

db

Last edited by Darryl.Burke : 1st May 2011 at 02:56.
Old 21st May 2011, 10:46   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke
Waze does use information from all users, to the extent of automatically reporting traffic congestion or standstill when I park for a few minutes and don't exit the software. Have you considered that there may have not been another wazer ahead of you for Waze to detect that there was a jam?

Traffic reports sent manually are only flashed to Wazers who have opted to receive such alerts, and are not factored into routing.

You can read more about this on the Waze forums and wiki.

Apart from this, opinions are invited from BHP Wazers at http://world.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=9230

db
After extensively using it over the last two weeks I agree with you. It does show the red zones sometimes. I guess the number of waxes users are too low for it to work really well as of now.

I am really bowled over by the concept though. Excellent framework that is bound to improve.

I tried to add a few markers on the website using my pc but I still don't get them when I search through waZe mobile. Does someone have to approve them.
Old 21st May 2011, 10:54   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Waze on my BB Storm doesnt seem to be working. It shows "the connection is outside the IT policy" or something of that sort. No maps visible and this message keeps popping up each time I open it.

Gmaps works fine although it takes time to get the sate lock.

Help needed guys.
Old 21st May 2011, 20:03   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
After extensively using it over the last two weeks I agree with you. It does show the red zones sometimes. I guess the number of waxes users are too low for it to work really well as of now.

I am really bowled over by the concept though. Excellent framework that is bound to improve.

I tried to add a few markers on the website using my pc but I still don't get them when I search through waZe mobile. Does someone have to approve them.
The maps edited in Cartouche - the map editor that you use from the computer - will take a couple of days to reflect on the mobile version. The mobile version caches the maps, and refreshes it at certain intervals (that I am not aware of). If you want to force a refresh, and if you are on a Nokia S60, the maps are stored in memory card/data/others/maps/<folder with number> - delete the subfolder in the <folder with numbers>, and the client will download them at next launch. Dont worry about deleting something else, even if you delete the data or others or maps folder, it will get recreated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Waze on my BB Storm doesnt seem to be working. It shows "the connection is outside the IT policy" or something of that sort. No maps visible and this message keeps popping up each time I open it.

Gmaps works fine although it takes time to get the sate lock.

Help needed guys.
The connection Waze makes with its server seem to have a problem with your corporate policy in the BB (am assuming yours is indeed a corporate BB and not a personal device). Try checking with your corporate IT folks. If it is a personal connection, grab hold of your mobile service provider.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 20:08   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

The connection Waze makes with its server seem to have a problem with your corporate policy in the BB (am assuming yours is indeed a corporate BB and not a personal device). Try checking with your corporate IT folks. If it is a personal connection, grab hold of your mobile service provider.
Thanks for that. It is indeed a personal device. Will check with the service provider.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:34   #306
BHPian

Hey Wazers!

Got my flag today

For those of you who want FREE flags, stickers and other goodies go here Waze | Facebook

Do the "like" stuff and they have weekly/monthly give-aways. I never expected them to send stuff out to Bangalore, really pleased not only with the software but the marketing courtesy. Its pretty big & I dont think I'll have it on the windows all the time, but once a while why not
Attached Thumbnails
Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone-image349.jpg  

Last edited by kartikk : 23rd May 2011 at 13:36. Reason: its free
kartikk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 17:51   #307
BHPian

Hi,

I joined this today and the Team-BHP group as well

I am FiestaBlr on it.

Warm regards,
NagaSid
Old 26th May 2011, 12:50   #308
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard @naga.sid - hope you have figured your way out with the positives and negatives that comes with Waze
Old 26th May 2011, 18:56   #309
BHPian

Waze can go crazy at times. Navigating back from the office today, instead of the usual 31-34 minutes, Waze predicted I would cover the 21 km in 6 minutes
Old 28th May 2011, 23:28   #310
BHPian

Faced these glitches sometimes with waze, but for the features provided, i would think these are minor.
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:27   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke
Waze can go crazy at times. Navigating back from the office today, instead of the usual 31-34 minutes, Waze predicted I would cover the 21 km in 6 minutes
My guess is that your gps was not yet up and running and so waZe did not know your current location.

Im sure there are more such issues but as more people start using it, it would improve to a great extent.
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:44   #312
BHPian

Well, as I said, Waze predicted I would cover 21 km in 6 minutes. (The route was correct)

db
Old 4th June 2011, 20:36   #313
BHPian

Installed Waze on my iPhone yesterday. Tried it today and found that it is indeed a very good GPS app. The concept is very innovative. I have joined Team BHP and Bangalore wazers and already started reporting traffic Jams, police checkpoints and speed cameras !
Old 14th June 2011, 01:17   #314
Senior - BHPian

i have forgotten,the password,i am not able to recover it.
any help here?
i dont want to lose this account,i had made lots of points over months
Old 25th June 2011, 00:15   #315

hello everyone, been using waze for a while and i joined the community earlier but came to this thread now. happy to see u all

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks