Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 175 37.47%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 108 23.13%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 92 19.70%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 92 19.70%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:19   #31
BHPian

Number portability is still some time away before it reaches us. The Govt has only finalised the vendor to manage this. It is a huge task and cannot be done in a couple of months. Then there will be issues of 'operator preparedness' and others stalling the launch.

I do not feel there is any point in changing operators just because of this feature. Like in Singapore and Hong Kong, we will also see a huge rush from people to change their service providers and I see the figure at around 8%-10% of the overall user size. But this will settle down in a year and people will stop switching as they will see no difference in the service levels. But the advent of new operators will make it really interesting.

I, for one will switch. From a mobile user to a mobile non user as soon as possible.
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:21   #32
BHPian

I am a happy customer since INA MAXTOUCH age...then to Orange...then to Hutch...and now on Vodafone..

I dont think I will ever change to any other operator however good the scheme may be...
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Mobile Number Portability (MNP) in India is around the corner. It will first be implemented in the four metros and the rest will follow. .
It has been "around the corner" for a whiiiiiiiiile now ! When will it actually begin operations?!

I would not shift my Vodafone account, purely because of their splendid customer care. We have a Relationship Manager appointed to us, makes life so much easier. Even without it, the helpdesk is well trained and prompt.

The network could be better but other GSM providers have their own set of network issues too.

Only thing I am looking forward to with the MNP is stiffer competition = Customer benifits !
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:36   #34
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I can say for sure that the govt is pushing the operators to implement it Pan India by next year.

However, the operators are not prepared yet and hence are trying to delay as much as possible. However, in the background the work has already begun.
Old 24th November 2009, 12:27   #35
BHPian

Mobile No Portability. Will it help ?

Tired of Vadofone or BSNL. Change your Service provider at just 19 Rs.

Should be a good rule and make the mobile networks behave better – both connectivity wise as well as customer service wise.
Change from Vodafone to Airtel to Docomo to Idea and keep your phone number same.

The full article.

TRAI fixes Rs 19 as portability fee to change mobile operators- Telecom-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Note from Team BHP Support
Thread merged. Please search before creating a new thread.
Thanks

Last edited by bblost : 24th November 2009 at 12:40.
Old 24th November 2009, 12:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Ir ead the news 2 days back and should say that I have been waiting for this to happen. I have the same number since last 5 years and it's a Vodafone. They charges are on a higher side w.r.t other operators particularly the data plan that they have. I have been planning to shift since a long time but the thought of changing my number has stopped me till now. But come 1st january 2010, I am definitely heading to either Idea or Docomo for a change in my plan. Thanks TRAI and for 19 bucks, the saving is huge.
Old 24th November 2009, 12:35   #37
BHPian

This would definately help as there would be number of users who would require to switch from existing mobile operator to the new one due to various reasons so in a nut shell this is good, the otherside would be old players like airtel,vodafone might loose good % of customer initially but at the end there would be one the service provider who deliver quality & cost would remain as a winner.

We might see mergers & acquitions in mobile service providers in coming years.
Old 24th November 2009, 12:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

Number Portability should be functional from Jan 2010. There was feature in last weeks Hindu about the same.

I am waiting eagerly for the same. A few queries,
I have a Bangalore Airtel number that I have been hanging for life now, its a number that I do not want to miss and I have held it for more than a year now on roaming.

Considering portability is through, can I retain the same number with Airtel Tamilnadu.
Means all 10 digits or will they only offer last 5 digits with the prefix of Tamilnadu Airtel sequence.

Fex: The number is 97##353535, will I get to have the same number or will they ive me 9894453535?
98944 is Tamilnadu Airtel.

Any clue how this works?
Old 24th November 2009, 13:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Airtel since last few years

all my contacts have my mobile number and changing the number will have
problem.

So I will not change, unless something wrong with present set up !

Thanks
Old 24th November 2009, 13:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
I have been using Airtel since last few years

all my contacts have my mobile number and changing the number will have
problem.

So I will not change, unless something wrong with present set up !

Thanks
Thats the whole point of number portability. You can change the operator and still keep your old number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay
Number Portability should be functional from Jan 2010. There was feature in last weeks Hindu about the same.

I am waiting eagerly for the same. A few queries,
I have a Bangalore Airtel number that I have been hanging for life now, its a number that I do not want to miss and I have held it for more than a year now on roaming.

Considering portability is through, can I retain the same number with Airtel Tamilnadu.
Means all 10 digits or will they only offer last 5 digits with the prefix of Tamilnadu Airtel sequence.

Fex: The number is 97##353535, will I get to have the same number or will they ive me 9894453535?

Any clue how this works?
Both the prefix and suffix will change. Otherwise someone else who had 98944 53535 in your example will lose out.

However you can only change with the state/circle.

But I'm sure that in the future they will allow us to change states as well (for a fee ofcourse ). That would be cool for people who are transferred etc.

Last edited by simplythebest : 24th November 2009 at 13:23.
Old 24th November 2009, 13:30   #41
BHPian

From airtel to probably docomo or aircel.
Airtel had 1st calls service a few years back and I stuck with it even if the rates were higher. It has become absolutely terrible in Hyd over the last 2-3 yrs. The call drops are so frequent that I almost use it as a pager. I have almost 50%-60% call drops. i.e. more than every alternate call drops. The less said about quality of reception, the better. I use the landline to call back.

Apparently Tata has the least congested network but I have had pretty bad experiences with Tata WILL and am wary of that brand. At one time, I really looked to buy Tata stuff.
Ironic that once the best brand in India is now a 'me too' in almost all fields - telecom, vehicles, retail, ....
Old 24th November 2009, 13:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
N

Any clue how this works?
@Beejay Number portability should technically allow you to retain the same number, however, we will have to wait and see the guidelines which come out, as India has this peculiar case of "circles" where the same company need to follow govt guidelines and keep the business separate even in the neighboring states. The NP licenses given out are on basis of zones, so IMHO, at least in a zone you should be able to retain a number.

@bubby - NP is trying to resolve that problem in a manner. If you are using a number for many years, and your switching to a different number is detrimental to your business or social cause, you can pay 19 Rs and switch to a different operator while retaining the same number.

I am with Airtel for the last 6 years, but don't see a point in switching, as the roaming is good with airtel and the network is the widest in GSM , next only to BSNL.
All the new entrants are going to focus on big cities, and if you travel, you will not get the coverage.
Old 24th November 2009, 13:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

I am waiting for that day when I can switch my numbers from the worst service provider in Kerala - Not naming them, but they operate here on the 1800 Mhz range and network coverage indoors is pathetic.
Old 24th November 2009, 13:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am waiting for that day when I can switch my numbers from the worst service provider in Kerala - Not naming them, but they operate here on the 1800 Mhz range and network coverage indoors is pathetic.

I'm yet to decide coz that's when each service provider will be jumping over each other for customer retention.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

I'm on Idea as my primary number, and not keen to change as the network and service is relatively the best amongst all the other operators I have tried. Airtel being the worst in all ways. But my problem is they aren't allowing the use of any value vouchers on my plan, so I still have to pay Re. 1 and 1.5 for local and STD respectively. Currently managing by using my other secondary phone (Airtel), but I hate carrying 2 phones...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks