Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 175 37.47%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 108 23.13%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 92 19.70%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 92 19.70%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 15:05   #46
BHPian

I think the No portability will be possible across the Country. I believe they just need to register the same no with the diff states. Thats all. And more over the Roaming concept also should go away soon Its just a beneficial for the Service Provider.
Another + point is Service Provider can track the credibility of a customer very easily while changing the Service Provider.
Old 24th November 2009, 15:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

So given the way things are, i think its not possible to change out of state. Which means I will have to stay put with my number.
Old 25th November 2009, 00:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Vodafone (rest of Tamil Nadu) is the worst. I'll change over to BSNL as soon as I can.
Old 25th November 2009, 01:04   #49
BHPian

Not being able to retain their number is the only reason most customers put up with shoddy service and coverage. The operators also get away with it, as they know that the customer is kinda stuck.

Number portability eliminates this. I will just stick with my current provider, as I know for a fact that they will have to improve services to retain customers. We all saw what happened with the per second calling plan that came with Docomo and made Airtel and Reliance sit up and take action to avoid losing customers. I believe the same would happen with number portability and we will all benefit from better services, no matter who the service provider.

I hope the concept of roaming is also done away with this move.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 25th November 2009, 01:27   #50
BHPian

Pretty happy with Airtel prepaid, good connectivity, happy with the speed of GPRS, 1/p per second. What more can we ask for?
Old 25th November 2009, 11:33   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Im happy with Vodafone Post Paid. Good Service and I just like Vodafone
Old 25th November 2009, 12:31   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I think the No portability will be possible across the Country. I believe they just need to register the same no with the diff states. Thats all. And more over the Roaming concept also should go away soon Its just a beneficial for the Service Provider.
Another + point is Service Provider can track the credibility of a customer very easily while changing the Service Provider.
Arin, implementing inter-circle MNP is practically impossible. Given the current networks (and I mean the technical specs) of almost all the big telecom players, it is way tooo difficult to get it done. And since BSNL faces the same problem, I don't see the govt forcing this upon the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I hope the concept of roaming is also done away with this move.
Rajan: Unlikely. Roaming has more to do with govt regulations than MNP implementation so don't see that happening right away.

------

The other news is that December does not look likely
Old 25th November 2009, 14:45   #53
BHPian

will shift to a vodafone or reliance or maybe even docomo, but wanna get away from airtel asap...just hanging on to them cuz of the number
Old 25th November 2009, 16:08   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjebs View Post
Pretty happy with Airtel prepaid, good connectivity, happy with the speed of GPRS, 1/p per second. What more can we ask for?
This 1P/Sec is a catch for a big time. My wife's mobile charge is 30P/Min. So assume if she talks 300Sec she has to pay 300 Paise. But as per her current plan she has to pay 5*30 = 150 Paise. So ultimately she needs to pay more if her plan swith to 1p/Sec.

If they remove the roaming funda then I believe the switching to other state will be not a big prob. And that BSNL can only do immediate as they have network all over the country. As per my mobile knowledge goes you dont need any SPL feature in your system to Swith Over State.
Old 25th November 2009, 17:40   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Arin, implementing inter-circle MNP is practically impossible. Given the current networks (and I mean the technical specs) of almost all the big telecom players, it is way tooo difficult to get it done. And since BSNL faces the same problem, I don't see the govt forcing this upon the industry.

Rajan: Unlikely. Roaming has more to do with govt regulations than MNP implementation so don't see that happening right away.

------
I am not sure as to how inter-circle MNP is impossible. Correct me if I am wrong on the technical logic behind MNP, as far as my understanding goes when a person wants to shift from one network to another as part of the MNP logic, the current MSISDN is assigned a new IMSI at the Network chosen by the subscriber thus retaining the same mobile number with a different IMSI belonging to the prefered network provider.

The GSM calls are routed using the called number - for example lets take a number as 919845xxxxx, where 91 is the country code and 9845 is the operator code and the rest are unique subscriber identity numbers. The switches use these digits to ensure the calls are routed onto the appropriate MSC. In the case where this number has moved onto a different network then the call gets routed onto the GMSC of the original network and on lookup to the LNP database , it finds where this number currently belongs to and routes the call to the serving MSC where the number has now been ported on to. This being the case intra or inter-operator shouldnt really make too much of a technical issue, but if it is with respect to number/IMSI management then its understandable that it could prove a challenge for each operator keep track of which number has moved onto which network and synchronizing the databases, though this is comparitively easier in inter-circle with only few operators within them.

Above is just my opinion based on my understanding of the GSM network, maybe the experts can share more insight into this interesting technology

with respect to roaming, dont think that is possible to be removed since
1. Roaming is one of the high revenue areas which operators will not sacrifice.
2. Technically the roaming concept relies more on IMSI than mobile number so its virtually impossible to do that.

Last edited by Rotorhead : 25th November 2009 at 17:42.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

Have been using Airtel before, and switched to Vodafone (pff) thinking it was better. But i have to say, they have some serious server issues which pop up every now and then. And when they do, you can't even call their customer care. You just have to sit and wait and hope everything will be fine soon. This is really sad as a big international company like Vodafone has been having these problems, that too very frequently.

Besides that, at times you have problem while making calls as well. You make a call, and at times both parties can't hear anything, its just silence. And you money also gets deducted. Again, this is pretty common with Vodafone.

If there is an option, i'd love to shift back to Airtel. Never had any sort of issues over the time i've used it.
Old 25th November 2009, 19:06   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Have been using Airtel before, and switched to Vodafone (pff) thinking it was better. But i have to say, they have some serious server issues which pop up every now and then.

Besides that, at times you have problem while making calls as well. You make a call, and at times both parties can't hear anything, its just silence. And you money also gets deducted. Again, this is pretty common with Vodafone.
Same here.I also switched to hutch from airetll 4 yrs back but in future i would wait and watch.
My wife uses bsnl and there are no complaints,no hidden charges for any plan.So if i change i would go for bsnl prepaid.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:02   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am waiting for that day when I can switch my numbers from the worst service provider in Kerala - Not naming them, but they operate here on the 1800 Mhz range and network coverage indoors is pathetic.
Did you meant Airtel ?
Old 29th November 2009, 12:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

i currently use Relience CDMA phone and BSNL prepaid, both are good and working fine,just a complain with bsnl for its network reach in my office and few parts of city which signal isnt good, else roaming, both are best.So wont switchover right now, will wait and might change bsnl in future if network reach is same.
Old 29th November 2009, 22:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Perfectly happy with Vodafone in Mumbai. Also, never ever had a problem with their customer care helpline, save for one misunderstanding. And hardly use the phone anyway. So no !

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 29th November 2009 at 22:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks