Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 16:42   #1516
BHPian

Blackberry without BIS/BES!

I got my unlocked BB Curve 8310 last week. Before buying the BB, I was using a Nokia E51 on LoopMobile with a 499/mo GPRS pack. I was sure as heck that I will not activate BIS/BES and pay more for the same thing in a new package!

As of today, I'm running my BB to the fullest, including the inbuilt BB browser. The only things not working are the BB e-mail (I use the Gmail app) and BB Messenger (plenty of free IM apps available for BB), without a BIS/BES plan.

1. Installing Opera Mini

The first thing I did was enter the APN settings and GPRS came to life. But with the BB Browser asking for service book entries, I could not do much. So, I installed Opera Mini for BB using the Desktop Manager. So far so good.

2. Installing Gmail and Google Maps

Next, I tried OtA download of Gmail and Google Maps through Opera Mini as they cannot be downloaded to a computer. Sadly, the Opera Mini's user agent identifies the BB as just "8310." As a result, Google thinks it's an unknown phone for which they don't have an app. By installing a user agent switcher add-on in Firefox, I could create a "dummy" Blackberry user agent and managed to download the .jad files. Next, I created a .alx file and separately downloaded the .jar files into the same folder. Fired up the Desktop Manager and installed the apps. In some situations, the Desktop Manager will not let you install new apps by stating no updates were found. You need another piece of software from Blackberry. Don't remember the name now!

3. Enabling the BB Browser

Opera Mini, though very versatile, cannot do many things that the BB Browser can. For example, downloading and installing OtA apps, downloading files, and viewing videos on YouTube through the Media Player. To enable the browser, you need the service book entries, which are pushed to your phone by your provider WHEN you sign up for BIS/BES. What to do?

Follow the instructions of a smart Vietnamese (Home (BlackBerry Without BIS)) and viola! The BB Browser is working just fine without BIS/BES.

I should have done point 3 first, to make the first two simpler. However, as luck would have it, I found this out last.

Cheers!
DueLLeR

Last edited by DueLLeR : 7th October 2009 at 16:44.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:57   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Research in Motion (RIM) and Reliance India Mobile (RIM) have officially launched BB Tour 9630 for Rs.27,990 right in time just for you

Source: Fonearena (dot) com / blog
Damn !! my uncle is bringing Tour for me from states. 480$. wish i could have wait lil more and get it locally with B&W.

Anyway. currently i have 99 Rs. GPRS plan from Airtel on Nokia 2700. soon i am going to use BB Tour. So i will just continue my 99 GPRS plan. And add the 299/- BIS Plan for email.
both plan should work together. Hope Airtel doesn't disable my 99 GPRS plan after activating BIS plan.

Last edited by nisarg86 : 7th October 2009 at 17:02.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:58   #1518
BHPian

The only things not working are the BB e-mail (I use the Gmail app) and BB Messenger (plenty of free IM apps available for BB), without a BIS/BES plan.

You can still use the native Push Email client in blackberry w/o BIS/BES. Do look out for "Shangmail" for Blackberry. It's a chinese push mail service currently free and integrates well with BB Email client.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:04   #1519
Team-BHP Support

Urgent help: Where can i get genuine BB spare parts in Bangalore? OR battery cover for Bold to be specific.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:28   #1520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Urgent help: Where can i get genuine BB spare parts in Bangalore? OR battery cover for Bold to be specific.
Suggest you order it online from fommy.co.in

... or wait for suggestions from bangalore bhi-ians.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:56   #1521
Team-BHP Support

Need it urgently since person is travelling tomorrow, online order wont work.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:08   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think chroma has Case Mate branded back covers for sale, and then there is fommy. Check the classifieds as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Research in Motion (RIM) and Reliance India Mobile (RIM) have officially launched BB Tour 9630 for Rs.27,990 right in time just for you

Source: Fonearena (dot) com / blog
Overpriced still!

BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 is officially out! Download it from the BB Homepage on your BB.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:11   #1523
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Umm... jaggu try it out at some music world stores, over here few of them stock accessories for Bberry and iphone.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:15   #1524
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys, where are the BBB's when you need them??!! (BBB = Blr Black Berrieeeeee's)
Old 8th October 2009, 12:24   #1525
BHPian

[quote=anmolbedi;1519141]@Jgsolo27,

Best of luck!! awaiting results

Thanks Anmol

Now I have both BISLite299 and GPRS active on my mobile. Receiving mails as before, but now with full HTML content. But there is a problem, when I try to open a link, I get the following message

"Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries. Please contact your service provider to enable the Browser on your device."

Hope someone can help?
Old 8th October 2009, 12:49   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, try in Sukh sagar mall or National market, these are the only 2 places you get almost everything related to electronics and mobiles, but will never appear in any google searches. I have got many rarest electronics parts and phone stuff from here which I couldnt find anywhere else. Try, you might be lucky.

Last edited by shajufx : 8th October 2009 at 12:50.
Old 8th October 2009, 13:35   #1527
BHPian

@Jgsolo,

You need to create a service book entry... You may take help from post #1515 by DueLLer, it has the necessary information.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:17   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
I got my unlocked BB Curve 8310 last week. Before buying the BB, I was using a Nokia E51 on LoopMobile with a 499/mo GPRS pack. I was sure as heck that I will not activate BIS/BES and pay more for the same thing in a new package!

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Thanks, I am now fully mobile.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:55   #1529
Team-BHP Support

Thanks shaju, i have sent my person to Croma and other mobile stores to check. Will try National market if there is no resolution.
Old 8th October 2009, 17:04   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 is officially out! Download it from the BB Homepage on your BB.
Thanks for that, just downloading now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks