Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 13:46   #1606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by elendil View Post
I bought a blackberry curve 8310 from vodafone outlet. It is locked with vodafone network. the service of vodafone is pathetic in our area in bangalore. I want to switch to airtel again. how can i get my bb unlocked.
thanks in advance,
Check with voda if they can provide an unlock, if you are travelling abroad
Old 21st October 2009, 13:51   #1607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Offlate i am quite unhappy with my BOLD. I seem to have a serious and recurring issue with its track ball. I am not able to scroll down ( Read : Only scrolling down gets affected) and this issue lasts from 24 hours-48 hours and gets resolved on its own.

This issue is cropping up often these days, say once in 7-10 days. During this period, i am unable to make phone calls and access many other applications.

I also note some faulty design features of BOLD, not sure if this applies to all BB's

1. When you scroll up when you reach the top item and continue scrolling up will bring the cursor to bottom most item ( as seen in most Nokia phones) and is very useful if your scrolling ball gets stuck as in my case.

2. From home screen, if i type a name it does not go to the phone address book completely. For example : If i have to access Jairaj Singh. I type J, then A, then I. The cursor goes to J items but does not go to Jairaj which is some 7-8 items below

3. If your scroll ball gets stuck, there should be an option to scroll items/applications via. your keypad. I cannot do that due to unavailability on the keypad. Or is it and i am unaware of it?

If this continues for long, i will have no option but chuck it and buy a 8520 ( since it has a touchpad) as i am now averse with track ball scrolling.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Due to not able to scroll down using the trackball since last 3 days, i was big trouble and this problem just won't go away. Today morning decided to head straight to Readington who are service centers for BB's in Hyderabad and they are located next to Amrutha Mall in Somajiguda.

Before heading out, i took a wise decision to stop at my friendly mobile repair shop and to my utter surprise, he told me he can take care of the issue and said, there is some sticker around the trackball, maybe that needs replacement. He promised to return the phone in 2 hours and also gave me a replacement phone till then.

He calls me back promptly in 1 hour saying the phone is ready. He replaced the sticker thingy and a small magnet next to it and also cleaned the entire surrounding. He said this problem occured due to water sepage. He quoted Rs.550 + Rs.100 for cleaning.

I negotiated and paid him Rs.550 which he accepted with a lot of reluctance. Lets see how long this problem won't re-occur.

I am sure if i had visited BB service center, i would had to shell a few grand for sure
Old 21st October 2009, 17:11   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
I have updated the FB application on my BB8900 to 1.7 and have BBLite 299 from Vodafone. After the update, facebook application is not working as is asking for a data connection. The update was done through the desktop.

I have configured Vodafone Mobile Connect (VMC) in the TCP/IP settings and use the same for accessing the web through Opera Mini.

Any work around for the FB application configuration for it to work through VMC settings?

Cheers
Get the FB 1.6. It works without BIS.

Now, on my new 8520 BB, everything except BB Mail and BB Messenger is working fine on a normal Vodafone Mobile Connect plan.
Old 21st October 2009, 17:44   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof
Get the FB 1.6. It works without BIS.

Now, on my new 8520 BB, everything except BB Mail and BB Messenger is working fine on a normal Vodafone Mobile Connect plan.
Thanks, Woof. I earlier had FB 1.6 on my BB, but decided to upgrade. And now I am unable to find FB 1.6 application loader. :-(

Do you by any chance have the URL for downloading the application loader for FB1.6?

Last edited by Ardy : 21st October 2009 at 17:57.
Old 21st October 2009, 17:50   #1610
evo
BHPian

I`m thinking of getting the Airtel BB (Gemini I think), any issues with that device? Good, bad, ugly?

Also I have a Vodafone CUG, what are your views on unlocking it?
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:09   #1611
Senior - BHPian

unlocked 8520 is available now for 13990 via Redington. that would be a better choice
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:28   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
I`m thinking of getting the Airtel BB (Gemini I think), any issues with that device? Good, bad, ugly?

Also I have a Vodafone CUG, what are your views on unlocking it?
Unlocked BB Gemini is available easily in the market. I got mine for 13.5k 3-4 days back.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:30   #1613
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
unlocked 8520 is available now for 13990 via Redington. that would be a better choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Unlocked BB Gemini is available easily in the market. I got mine for 13.5k 3-4 days back.
Aha, if it is from Redington, then I suppose it means it carries the warranty too?
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:26   #1614
Senior - BHPian

sure one year with redington providing the service backup

their customer care number is 1800 4253 720
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:36   #1615
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a strange issue with my BOLD. I have set a daily alarm of 6:00AM and it works just fine. But, along with that i see another alarm going off at 7:00AM

1st Alarm, I see a clock icon with time ( 6:00AM) next to it which is what i had set.

2nd Alarm, I see a calculator/memo pad icon with time ( 7:00AM) next to it

I havent set the 2nd alarm and I am just not able to turn it off. I checked if i set any appointments in tasks, memo etc but there i dont see any fixed time for an alarm to ring.

Any ideas, how to disable this 2nd alarm as its an irritant each morning
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:45   #1616

Quote:
I bought a blackberry curve 8310 from vodafone outlet. It is locked with vodafone network. the service of vodafone is pathetic in our area in bangalore. I want to switch to airtel again. how can i get my bb unlocked.
thanks in advance,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check with voda if they can provide an unlock, if you are travelling abroad
I tried but they are not relenting..what is the other option?
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:58   #1617
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
sure one year with redington providing the service backup

their customer care number is 1800 4253 720
Thank you, will call.

The Blackberry site only shows Airtel as available. Useless people.
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:26   #1618
BHPian

Is Blackberry storm2 9550 available in India yet ? Any other balckberry which has WLAN ?
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:38   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
I tried but they are not relenting..what is the other option?
Elendil - Dude! You are in Bangalore!! Every second mobile shop will unlock your phone! Just go to National Market and get it done. Haggle like crazy though. Check out - Unlock Blackberry 8520 8900 8100 8700 8830 8310 8320 9000 bold 9500 storm Vodafone in Pune Mumbai Maharashtra India. I haven't used them...can't vouch for them.

Edit: You will lose your warranty with Voda if you unlock. So, think again. Also, Voda has been changing the SIM card of all post paid connections in Blore. And the new SIM seems to work much better. This is something I heard from my sis and bil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
Is Blackberry storm2 9550 available in India yet ? Any other balckberry which has WLAN ?
Compenn - Bold has wlan. Dont expect the S2 to come to India any time soon. USA release is on 29th Oct I think...

Last edited by indigoedge : 23rd October 2009 at 11:41.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:05   #1620
Distinguished - BHPian

I think now the latest OS for BB Bold which is 5.0 is stable. I have decided to upgrade to the same. Can someone please share a link from where i can download this OS?

TIA!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks