Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 14:56   #856
aZa
Senior - BHPian

This outage thing had got me real worried ... heheh thanx guys

D-man i think this is a EDGE/GPRS issue. Used to happen occasionally in my Nokia E and N series both while heavy edge/gprs usage like uploading / streaming etc.

I think the Storm 2 looks quite similar to 1. A BB without a qwerty err well ...why not just buy a Iphone ?

Last edited by aZa : 15th May 2009 at 14:57.
Old 15th May 2009, 14:58   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
Great one Quickdraw! I would love to lay my hands on that one. When Storm 1 came out I went ahead and purchased a 3g instead was trying to force myself to like it. I still hate spending $600 instead I would be happier on a Pearl.

BTW would that mean storm 1 shall be cheaper in india?

To add When i am logged in Gtalk my incomming calls are redirected to my VM! TATA has no solution to this. Does Voda and airtel give similar issues? i.e if some one is on browser or an app that uses data stream; incomming calls are diverted to voicemail and or busy tone is given to the caller.
Surely the original storm prices will fall, but theres still quite sometime to go till it comes out. I have no idea I think its because of the 1xRtt tech CDMA uses, I never used the CDMA berries offered here till now so cant comment. I can assure this problem is non existent in the GSM berries.
Old 15th May 2009, 15:05   #858
D-Man

I have used CDMA berries before along with GSM ones. I was happier on CDMA but TATA has changed my impression. ITs a relief to know GSM berries dont give such issue! I shall switch very soon. First trying to get rid of the CDMA in the market is a mission by itself.

Old 15th May 2009, 20:23   #859
Senior - BHPian

I agree, its mainly because of the exorbitant prices demanded by TATA and Reliance for outdated handsets and limited usability and tough to resell they arnt that popular here.
Old 16th May 2009, 01:08   #860
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys check out Elecite - Premium BlackBerry Themes
Old 16th May 2009, 08:36   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Does Vodafone have a 899 plan ? i will shift by next week as my bill cycle ends. Oh btw i have just ordered a OEM charging cradle and a OEM red battery door for the bold from fommy.co.in, payment on delivery ... so i'm happy will update on the quality and delivery as soon as i get em.
Remember if you use 3rd party applications like ngpay on Airtel, you won't be able to use the same on vodafone as per my experience. Also be very specific with Vodafone & get all the information before hand and better take it in writing what all is included in the 899 / 1099 plan. Also tell them to mention unlimited "internet" usage, really dumbo's there i tell you, they're no better than Airtel, only their language & marketing gibberish (read: b*ll) is put better. They mention something & give you something else. My BB plan will be starting back in a while on Airtel.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 16th May 2009 at 08:39.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:17   #862
BHPian

I have read that we can access internet on BB phones, without any data plans. I have configured the TCP settings like APN, uid & pwd, but no luck :(
I could access internet from my earlier phone using the same SIM.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA.
Old 16th May 2009, 19:30   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Remember if you use 3rd party applications like ngpay on Airtel, you won't be able to use the same on vodafone as per my experience. Also be very specific with Vodafone & get all the information before hand and better take it in writing what all is included in the 899 / 1099 plan. Also tell them to mention unlimited "internet" usage, really dumbo's there i tell you, they're no better than Airtel, only their language & marketing gibberish (read: b*ll) is put better. They mention something & give you something else. My BB plan will be starting back in a while on Airtel.
Anything that is working on a airtel 899 plan will work on a Vodafone 899 plan. Kindly dont try and misguide people without any facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujitm View Post
I have read that we can access internet on BB phones, without any data plans. I have configured the TCP settings like APN, uid & pwd, but no luck :(
I could access internet from my earlier phone using the same SIM.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA.
This question has been asked before check the earlier pages of the thread.

BTW People there is going to be a outage on 17th May from 12AM to 5.30AM.
Old 17th May 2009, 00:17   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Anything that is working on a airtel 899 plan will work on a Vodafone 899 plan. Kindly dont try and misguide people without any facts.
You aint a 'final' authority to decide which carrier is better, as I have clearly mentioned that Airtel is no better. Please refrain from wrongly accusing me of 'misguiding' people and take your words back. This is a public forum and you ought to respect others' views and 'true' experiences. I don't work for either or promote or have a stake in any carrier and hope neither do you. If I have had a bad experience with a certain carrier, I can't just put up a fake post or thread saying that its a better service provider when its not, no, never. As a consumer I have a right to express my disappointment with the dismal approach. NGpay was not working on my Vodafone and I was getting error 17. Called NGpay Tech Support and they told me to ask vodafone to activate vodafone live. I called BB support and 111 on conference and both confirmed it is not possible on a bb plan. Secondly, I have scanned my bill and posted here a couple of days ago where they have charged me Rs. 1,715/- as Vodafone Live! Usage charges even after being on a bb plan. I will bring it up with a popular daily in a couple of days if my amount is not reversed.

And I have not written all this so that I give you any clarification, just that people should be aware and take care and not take bs from these guys, from any carrier including Airtel, Reliance, Tata or Vodafone. Being pompous, 'sophisticated', snooty and proclaiming by blowing their own trumpet that we're the best carrier does not necessarily make them one. Affordability, overall cost of ownership, customer satisfaction and of course personal experience do count. To each his own.

Before anything else, smoke the peace pipe dude.... chill!

Last edited by anilkalvani : 17th May 2009 at 00:24. Reason: Typos
Old 17th May 2009, 01:46   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
You aint a 'final' authority to decide which carrier is better, as I have clearly mentioned that Airtel is no better. Please refrain from wrongly accusing me of 'misguiding' people and take your words back. This is a public forum and you ought to respect others' views and 'true' experiences. I don't work for either or promote or have a stake in any carrier and hope neither do you. If I have had a bad experience with a certain carrier, I can't just put up a fake post or thread saying that its a better service provider when its not, no, never. As a consumer I have a right to express my disappointment with the dismal approach. NGpay was not working on my Vodafone and I was getting error 17. Called NGpay Tech Support and they told me to ask vodafone to activate vodafone live. I called BB support and 111 on conference and both confirmed it is not possible on a bb plan. Secondly, I have scanned my bill and posted here a couple of days ago where they have charged me Rs. 1,715/- as Vodafone Live! Usage charges even after being on a bb plan. I will bring it up with a popular daily in a couple of days if my amount is not reversed.

And I have not written all this so that I give you any clarification, just that people should be aware and take care and not take bs from these guys, from any carrier including Airtel, Reliance, Tata or Vodafone. Being pompous, 'sophisticated', snooty and proclaiming by blowing their own trumpet that we're the best carrier does not necessarily make them one. Affordability, overall cost of ownership, customer satisfaction and of course personal experience do count. To each his own.

Before anything else, smoke the peace pipe dude.... chill!
I never mentioned that I am a final authority on anything. You are stating wrong facts and thats what I had problem with so I politely asked you to refrain from doing so. Sorry I cannot take my words back as not only arnt you misguiding people, you are acting naive and being ignorant.

Just be looking at the posting of your bill I was able to judge you did not use the normal browser and instead have used the W@P browser which uses normal carrier's GPRS and is chargable per kb. Sharing experences and all is what we are about and we try to help each other in need. But every second guy who is facing some/any kind of problem if instead of analyzing the issue and trying to sort it out in a correct manner is much harder then threatning big corporations with Media bashing. In any case I will tell you again its much harder said then done sometime we have to be streetsmart when dealing with such companies because most of the customer support is ignorant and act like drones. So you have to infact guide them and help them to help you.

Last thing I will say is the Blackberry Service Hardware/Network is of RIM and Vodafone is just the provider, so will obviously be trained to handle such equipment/software. NG Pay is some third party app, and its not at all the carrier's responsibility to support it. Its the developer. Or the user. So you cannot blame them. I would also like to clarify that I dont work for RIM or Vodafone but have tried to help out whoever I can with the little knowledge I have. I would like to stress again you were not wrongly charged, you used the wrong browser (like quite a few here) so dont go on bashing the carrier unecessarily, because I mentioned your mistake as soon as I saw your bill.
Old 17th May 2009, 10:36   #866
BHPian

Installed Stormslider on my BB9500

I installed Stormslider (purchased from crackberry.com) yesterday afternoon and everything seemed to be working fine. Until evening. Suddenly all my messaging applications have disappeared. Any application which uses data is missing from the main menu. Messages, Email boxes, Facebook, Instant Messaging (inside is empty), etc. But I can see emails being received. On top of the screen it shows 6 New emails, 2 new facebook requests. But none of the applications are shown in the main menu. Even if I do a battery pull (how many ever times), it shows the error "Uncaught Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException"
I have to click OK some 6 or 7 times to get to the home screen.

PLS HELP!! Should I do an OS wipe?
Old 17th May 2009, 17:43   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I installed Stormslider (purchased from crackberry.com) yesterday afternoon and everything seemed to be working fine. Until evening. Suddenly all my messaging applications have disappeared. Any application which uses data is missing from the main menu. Messages, Email boxes, Facebook, Instant Messaging (inside is empty), etc. But I can see emails being received. On top of the screen it shows 6 New emails, 2 new facebook requests. But none of the applications are shown in the main menu. Even if I do a battery pull (how many ever times), it shows the error "Uncaught Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException"
I have to click OK some 6 or 7 times to get to the home screen.

PLS HELP!! Should I do an OS wipe?
Dont panic, I dont know what might have happened because I have not used this app before. Why dont you try deleting/uninstalling the app from the Options > Advanced Options > Applications ?
Old 18th May 2009, 00:31   #868
aZa
Senior - BHPian

How are things after uninstalling the program ?
Old 18th May 2009, 13:44   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Dont panic, I dont know what might have happened because I have not used this app before. Why dont you try deleting/uninstalling the app from the Options > Advanced Options > Applications ?
I did not do any of that. Before I could meddle anything, I wanted to download the next version of the OS (I had 4.7.0.76 and I downloaded) 4.7.0.132. Then connected the storm to the DM to take a full backup before installing the OS. Before the backup happened, it automatically detected my OS is outdated, and needs to be updated. It said it will backup everything into an .ipl file and then restore it once the new OS is applied. I let it do and went off for a lunch get together. When I came back, there was a warning which said while restoring, some calendar entries could not be copied. I pressed OK and removed the BB. I was happy to see all my mail accounts, messengers, fb app, etc etc everything back as before. All my mails were intact, with contacts, SMS, etc. I went to Options -> About. I was happy to find 4.7.0.141 OS. Everything is now smooth. Even the fonts look a little smaller but better. The on-screen querty suretype keyboard looks consistent in size now. Earlier some will look bigger some smaller. Overall a smooth encounter (to my surprise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
How are things after uninstalling the program ?
Yes.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:46   #870
aZa
Senior - BHPian

@Quickdraw : the Vodafone 111 guys says 899 BB plan is a "corporate" only plan? Whats this now?

I think i will visit a Vodafone center and get it done with. Will be shifting by 20th.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks