Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 15:01   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
mine says = v4.6.0.126 (Platform 4.0.0.135)
That's an old one. You should upgrade to the latest which i beileve is V4.6.0.4xx
Old 9th June 2009, 15:12   #1007
Team-BHP Support

Shaju yours is a simple hardware issue, and if the particular model is prone to this then its a good idea for mobike also to try it out.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:13   #1008
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Im on .247 the official airtel release. I had gone to agra over the weekend and having a bberry was just like having a permanent connection with net awesome.

Going to Landsdowne this coming weekend. Any idea about the cellular signals over there? will it will be "edge" or "EDGE" ??? i'm on vodafone.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:44   #1009
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Shaju yours is a simple hardware issue, and if the particular model is prone to this then its a good idea for mobike also to try it out.
Shaju told me about this last weekend and i immediately opened the back cover of my Bold and saw that the hardware slot where you insert the SIM is a fixed grid ( completely unmovable) so there is no such thing as loose metal. So i just inserted the SIM a bit more tightly and left it at that. No change

Maybe it works only for a Pearl

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th June 2009 at 15:46.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:13   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
...opened the back cover of my Bold and saw that the hardware slot where you insert the SIM is a fixed grid
Its a fixed grid for the Pearl too. I think most BB models have the similar fixed grid. When I got this instruction to push the SIM grid metal, I too wondered where to push since this thing is fixed to the body. I was so frustrated with the SOS issue, I took a chance pushing the already fixed metal grid. SIM is tighter than before. And, I have taken it to most of the places I used to see SOS display, so far, it looks like 100% resolved !

Also in my car parking basement it used to show only 1 signal bar, after this 'push-up' action, its now flashing between 4 and 5. I am not claiming this is the final solution, but it worked for me.

Last edited by shajufx : 9th June 2009 at 16:15.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:21   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
... Going to Landsdowne this coming weekend. Any idea about the cellular signals over there? will it will be "edge" or "EDGE" ??? i'm on vodafone.
You will be lucky if you can get GPRS on it. Uttaranchal tower distribution is terrible, especially due to the hilly terrain. Some of the southern areas in Mussoorie depend on towers in Dehradun area, and I never got EDGE in Dehradun itself.

'gprs' or 'edge' in BB (specifically lower case) shows that, as it is mentioned in the BB manual, "you might be in an area of reduced wireless coverage where features such as email messaging and internet browsing are not available (you might only be able to make a phone call or send and receive SMS text messages)."
Old 9th June 2009, 16:25   #1012
D-Man

Just had a word with someone. Is the hinge on 8220 very delicate? Have people really been complaining on flip getting broken easily?

Old 9th June 2009, 16:56   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That's an old one. You should upgrade to the latest which i beileve is V4.6.0.4xx
did your upgrade go through fine? I will probably do it over the weekend. The process of a painfully slow reactivation kills me. I think mine's locked to Airtel, any impact expected?

Btw, anyone tried blackberry appstore? My phone says its unsupported (only US & Canada). Dunno why!
Old 9th June 2009, 17:27   #1014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Its a fixed grid for the Pearl too. I think most BB models have the similar fixed grid. When I got this instruction to push the SIM grid metal, I too wondered where to push since this thing is fixed to the body. I was so frustrated with the SOS issue, I took a chance pushing the already fixed metal grid. SIM is tighter than before. And, I have taken it to most of the places I used to see SOS display, so far, it looks like 100% resolved !

Also in my car parking basement it used to show only 1 signal bar, after this 'push-up' action, its now flashing between 4 and 5. I am not claiming this is the final solution, but it worked for me.
I can only say one thing, your a lucky man to get the SOS issue resolved with a simple push-up action

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
did your upgrade go through fine? I will probably do it over the weekend. The process of a painfully slow reactivation kills me. I think mine's locked to Airtel, any impact expected?
When i bought i had the same version .126 then i upgraded to .247 and it went through just fine. I have highlighted the process in one of my previous post.

Ensure you download from the Airtel carrier section from Blackberry website. This process will take anywhere between 45 minutes to over an hour after you download the executable file to your computer.
Old 12th June 2009, 11:36   #1015
BHPian

Reply from Citibank

After a lot of email exchanges and also calls to Airtel Customer care, this is what Citibank had to reply.

"On thorough review, we find that the error stated by you is due to Access Point Settings (APN) problem in the device. We inform that the application itself will configure the settings and there is no need of manual settings.
Further, the update template or patch for Black Berry will be available in a due course of time. In this regard, we request you to try the same after a week."

Why doesn't applications like ngpay, citimobile etc, not work on BB? Has anybody found a work around to use these? How is it different in accessing the net, when other apps such as FB, Twitterberry, etc are able to do it seamlessly.

Anybody using any banking app on the BB? Bank based in India, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Before I shifted to the BB Storm 9500, I was using Citibank mobile app on my Nokia N82. It was working perfectly over EDGE as well as WiFi. After I shifted to BB Storm, I downloaded the Citibank mobile app but the app does not work at all. As soon as the app opens, I get this error. EC04: Communications error, Check gprs settings @ Menu-Options-Advanced Options-TCP

I checked there and the APN was blank. I input airtelgprs.com Still the citi app does not work. I went to options-Advanced Options-Applications and enabled compatibility mode for the citi app. Still it doesn't work. Tried removing the APN again and try. Again does not work. So far, tried all the 4 permutations and combinations and am fed up and shot an email to citi support.

Anybody successfully using the citi mobile app on their BB?

P.S.: I am on the BES 899 plan FB, GoogleMaps all work perfectly.
Old 12th June 2009, 13:27   #1016
Team-BHP Support

hey guys, any idea if a new blackberry is coming out in the next 2 months or so? i intend on buying the bold but i had read somewhere that a newer version would be out soon. any news?
Old 12th June 2009, 14:49   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Using a BB Bold and have the following issues that I could use some assistance with.

1) How does one receive a bulk transfer of files via Bluetooth. I currently do it by going to the folder I want to save to, then do a receive via bluetooth, pair my device with the other one, with a passcode, then receive one file at the end of it. I keep repeating the entire process for each and every file. Is'nt there a better method?

2) How does one send a business card via sms? I'd like to send a contact of someone from my address book to someone else via sms, but simply can't. Only way to do so is via email, not sms. What am I doing wrong?

3) Is there any theme similar to the Dimension Theme on the Curve which works for the Bold?
Old 12th June 2009, 15:07   #1018
BHPian

BB vs HTC

I am thinking to buy HTC Touch Diamond2 which is now launched in India for 30k. But read lot of complaints about their support service, which is not good. Then I am considering BB Curve 8900 now. What is the opinion about this, whether to go with HTC or BB? My requirements are, email (corporate), camera and songs. What do you guys suggest?
Old 12th June 2009, 15:15   #1019
D-Man

I have used the CDMA version of HTC Touch. I am not a fan of Windows platform. At first the weather and all those whistles look good later when you really goto the functionality it can get your nerves. Plus hit the phone button, are you comfortable with the touchscreen?

BB is more secure for corporate emails though it depends on what domain you work with. Lets put it this way diamond2 is kindof a iphone wanna be. BB has its own identity. Curve has been a proven legend.

Goto Phone Scoop you shall be able to read many reviews for both.

Hope it helps. I personally wont choose anything but BB. If you go through the entire post you shall find many users who are new to the BB experience. You can conclude out of it.

Old 12th June 2009, 17:48   #1020
Team-BHP Support

Try GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more... they have the most to the point reviews.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th June 2009 at 17:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks